Is the VintagVW list still working?

No Quarter

Jan 21, 2019, 7:16:19 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang - NQ here. I just wondered if the list was still running?

NQ

No Quarter

Jan 21, 2019, 7:20:28 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hot diggity it still is!

I'm looking for a guy who does stock looking VW engine rebuilds on the west
coast.

His specialty was making them look stock, but they were 2L+ engines with the
34-pict-3 carburetor installed on them. They would run with stump-pulling
torque up to 4K and then no more power.

I realize if I have a real simple setup on my bus, I'd actually drive it.
All this dual carb stuff - I'm just not interested because I've had nothing
but trouble with it. I want to drive it - not tinker behind it all the
time.

Thanks if you can help me find this guy.

NQ
> --
> Visit the VintagVW archives at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/vint...@googlegroups.com
> ---

Eric Ridvan Üner

Jan 21, 2019, 7:20:59 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Unlike my Vintage VW, yes :-) the list appears to be fully operational. - Doc

Brian

Jan 21, 2019, 9:14:55 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I had forgotten all about this list. Subscribed in the 90's.  NQ - is Lil Red still on the road?

Brian B.

No Quarter

Jan 21, 2019, 9:23:37 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
No but I still have that bug. I got married and then had a house built in
the country. Li'l Red is sitting in my parent's back yard so it's my goal
to get him fired up and start driving him again this year. I never get rid
of anything so I still have all my dubs and then some. LOL!

I'm glad this list is still here - quite a few others I was on are no longer
so maybe we can rekindle this list for a bit more...

NQ
Nice to see this list alive again. Got the motor out of my '56 Beetle tore down on my bench and ready to rebuild. Still have my '74 Bus: was on Freeze Your Bus Off two weeks ago. Is there any Buskatiers swag left anywhere? I'd like some stuff if it's there...

Timothy Earl Osburn, Head Mechanic,
Ralph Spoilsport Motors.
Home of Fine, Old Volkswagens, Rockets, Music and....Grand Canyon Nut.

On Monday, January 21, 2019, 8:23:38 PM CST, No Quarter <erin.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

No but I still have that bug.  I got married and then had a house built in
the country.  Li'l Red is sitting in my parent's back yard so it's my goal
to get him fired up and start driving him again this year.  I never get rid
of anything so I still have all my dubs and then some.  LOL!

I'm glad this list is still here - quite a few others I was on are no longer
so maybe we can rekindle this list for a bit more...

NQ
>I had forgotten all about this list. Subscribed in the 90's.  NQ - is Lil
>Red still on the road?
>

> Brian B.
>
> --
> Visit the VintagVW archives at
> ---

No Quarter

Jan 21, 2019, 9:47:51 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I have that magnet box sitting here under my table. I can feel it with my
feet. If you're referring to the magnet, I can get you some if you'd like.

I don't know if any of you have seen the green Johnny Lightning single cab
bus with the Buskatiers logo on the back (kokopelli in an oval) I think
it's the only VW die-cast model that has a club logo on the back - at least
it's the only die-cast model with our club logo on it. That bus it was
modeled after belonged to my friend Rob Laffoon of Omaha, NE. He passed
away unexpectedly a little over a week ago. He was known as captoaster
online in many different places.

Anyway, this year is our 20th year at Indian Cave State Park. I can't
believe it and I understand now when people say, "Where has the time gone."

Since this is the VintagVW listserv, I guess I strayed a bit off-topic
already, but I'd really like to find that guy in California that build those
big bore type 1 engines and throws a 34-pict-3 on them. That's the
torque-monger setup I want to run in my bus and if that recipe proves
itself, I'd run it in Li'l Red too. I did start to assemble the pieces for
a T4 engine at one point since they are so robust, but if I do that I'd want
to fuel inject it and at this stage in my life, I just don't care to muck
around trying to learn FI. I wanted to for years, but found it a
time-sucking formidable task. Without some intensive training which nobody
seems to be able to provide nor want to do, I think I'll just stick with
simple stuff. My friends over the past 18 years have logged 80,000 miles of
trips in their busses and I haven't gone on a one of them because my dual
carb 1776 was a failure. I couldn't get them synched right and one cylinder
always ran lean and I guess I just gave up and burned out.

Whose the fool? The go with the go-fast goodies who can't get it to run or
the modest-engined guy who doesn't make much horsepower, but can actually
start and drive his bus?

I know the answer to that.

NQ

bert....@comcast.net

Jan 21, 2019, 9:48:11 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com

Still around, but the list has pretty much gotten supplanted by various others, mainly FaceBook groups, I guess.

Bert Knupp

Nashville

No Quarter

Jan 21, 2019, 9:50:14 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I've tried the facebook groups, but not a fan of them at all. The
listserv takes a bit more work to utilitze so I'm kind of gravitating back
to it. We used to have a lot of really well-versed people on here with VWs.
I guess in the pre-social media world, this *WAS* our social media. By the
way Bert - I think you were the last one to post here back in January of
2017 - 2 years ago. I can't recall seeing a post on here since then.

NQ

Scott Sportsman

Jan 21, 2019, 9:59:45 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Good to see this group doing something! :0)
Scott Sportsman
73 Thing

Please excuse my spelling. Message sent from my rotary dial phone.

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 8:50 PM, No Quarter <erin.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah I've tried the facebook groups, but not a fan of them at all. The listserv takes a bit more work to utilitze so I'm kind of gravitating back to it. We used to have a lot of really well-versed people on here with VWs. I guess in the pre-social media world, this *WAS* our social media. By the way Bert - I think you were the last one to post here back in January of 2017 - 2 years ago. I can't recall seeing a post on here since then.
>
> NQ

No Quarter

Jan 21, 2019, 10:01:43 PM1/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
LOL! It ain't dead yet - barely breathing maybe - but it ain't dead yet.
:)

NQ
Jan 22, 2019, 2:10:44 AM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I like this forum and hope it gets a little reboot action.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:31:29 AM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ,

Yup we are all still here..at least some of us<grin>.

Cheers, dave

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019, No Quarter wrote:

> Hi gang - NQ here. I just wondered if the list was still running?
>
> NQ

Rayvwbug

Jan 22, 2019, 2:08:14 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I still have the pic of NQS Mexibeetle body!  Very sad we lost Bill May. Amazing wealth of knowledge and kind hearted

Ray

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

stokester

Jan 22, 2019, 2:29:23 PM1/22/19
to VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
I'm still here fixing VW radios!

Nick Stokes

Kirin Jacobsen

Jan 22, 2019, 3:54:51 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Still here. About to rebuild my wounded 1914.

bert.knupp

Jan 22, 2019, 5:16:06 PM1/22/19
to No Quarter, vint...@googlegroups.com
Erin, I think you got the answer:  much of the Old Guard hard core is still putting. (Or fweeming.) Even Gilbert Sy Chan reads the mail, he tells me.
I'm still teaching German here in Nashville and showing the Copbug during the "show season." Looking for new shows to conquer.
Bert Knupp
"Robert Knupp" on Facebook.

On 2019-01-21 18:16 , No Quarter Wrote:

Hi gang - NQ here.  I just wondered if the list was still running?

NQ

meangreenparts

Jan 22, 2019, 5:22:38 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
quit sending me emails

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note5.

Jan 22, 2019, 5:37:52 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
quit spamming

No Quarter

Jan 22, 2019, 5:47:55 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Lol and now we get the folks who forgot they subscribed and don't read the directions on how to unsubscribe.  It ain't spam my boy, it's you who subscribed to the list and it's gotta be you to take yourself off.  Read the very bottom of each message and if you can comprehend what you read, hop to it.

NQ

Mike Morehouse

Jan 22, 2019, 5:56:38 PM1/22/19
to VintagVW
I still receive emails from the list even though I sold my Bug in 2016.  I have to say that the vintagvw list was a Godsend to me when we got my deceased father-in-law's 72 stock std. Beetle in Aug. 1998.  i had never owned one before and i could not have restored it as we were able to do without this list.  i will always be indebted to each of you and I hope you and your bugs motor on safely for many years to come! God bless each of you.

Mike Morehouse
now of Ocala, Florida

Brian

Jan 22, 2019, 6:32:51 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Nick - The Sapphire I radio that you fixed for me and converted to 12v still works; which is more than I can say about the Retrosound radio I bought for my Other VW.

Brian B.

Brian

Jan 22, 2019, 6:34:07 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Kirin - what happened with the Seafoam saga?

Brian B.

meangreenparts

Jan 22, 2019, 6:42:51 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I've tried unsubscribing to a fake ass email

No Quarter

Jan 22, 2019, 9:43:12 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to reply to everyone in one fell swoop.

It's good to see all of you on here.

Dave Bolen: Glad to see you're still here. You can tell who the die-hards
are can't you? :)

Ray: Yes when Bill died I felt so bad. Just under 2 weeks ago we lost Rob
Laffoon from Omaha, NE otherwise known at captoaster. He drove that green
single cab for 18 years and in fact, it's his bus that Johnny Lightning
reproduced right down to the Buskatiers logo on the back!

Nick Stokes: I am *SO* glad you piped up. I was at work when I saw your
post come through and I thought by golly I've put it off long enough. I
have a 6v short wave radio in an old early 60s bug. I'm going to go down to
the VW line up and pull that thing out and send it to you. I'd like that
thing made to work and replace what should be replaced. It's such a rare
rig and I think it would make a great radio to install in one of my VWs. I
assume all pertinent info is listed on your website.

Kirin: I've been following your saga on facebook. Sorry about the engine
trouble - it's always the littlest things that cause the biggest problems.

Bert: If Gilbert comes back on here, I hope he writes me. I have some VW
parts of his and when I run across them, I'd like to send them back to him.
At the very least, I'd like him to contact me privately so I could get that
wrapped up.

Mike Morehouse: I remember when you were getting that bug fixed up. The
way you're talking, it sounds like you're going to sign off the list. Are
you in fact leaving or are you sticking around? My wife and I were in
Florida April of 2017. Too bad we couldn't have met up. Charlie Ford lives
in Tampa, FL and we spent a few days with him and his wife. His search for
the beginning of wind was epic and he just gave up the Mothership to another
deserving individual within the past year. It was hard but also time for
another chapter in his life and the Mothership's.

That about covers it. Glad to see you all still around.

BTW: Does anyone at all rememeber a guy out west that did those stroker bus
engines and made them look totally stock? I cannot find his website - he
had detailed engines that were just beautiful and he used a 34-pict-3 with
the venturi pulled out and one jet size bigger. I lost his info and kick
myself over it . 20 bucks to the person that finds that website for me.

Catch y'all later...

NQ

Timothy Osburn

Jan 22, 2019, 9:43:19 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Amen to that re: Bill May. He mentored me, even taking the time to send a series of pictures from Germany that purported to tell the story, "A Day in the Factory", about building VW's.

Timothy Earl Osburn, Head Mechanic,
Ralph Spoilsport Motors.
Home of Fine, Old Volkswagens, Rockets, Music and....Grand Canyon Nut.

Mike B.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:17:42 PM1/22/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com

Last I knew you wee 16.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Not much posted in a while. I’m still lurking....

Mike B.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 19:20, No Quarter <sil...@beatricene.com> wrote:
>
> Hot diggity it still is!
>
> I'm looking for a guy who does stock looking VW engine rebuilds on the west coast.
>
> His specialty was making them look stock, but they were 2L+ engines with the 34-pict-3 carburetor installed on them. They would run with stump-pulling torque up to 4K and then no more power.
>
> I realize if I have a real simple setup on my bus, I'd actually drive it. All this dual carb stuff - I'm just not interested because I've had nothing but trouble with it. I want to drive it - not tinker behind it all the time.
>
> Thanks if you can help me find this guy.
>
> NQ
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "No Quarter" <sil...@beatricene.com>

Mike Morehouse

Jan 22, 2019, 10:17:42 PM1/22/19
to VintagVW
NQ,

though I don't have a bug and likely won't again (an 05 BMW  330CI with a malfunctioning convertible top keeps me occupied) I'll stay on this list just to stay in touch. I'll try to thank you all again from time to time for welcoming me into the VW community 20+ years ago. I was only able to honor my father in law by keeping his bug in good shape because of you guys. Just not ready to let that part of my life go even though I don't have a bug.

Mike Morehouse

Mike Morehouse

Jeffrey Bateman

Jan 23, 2019, 9:30:55 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
"Yes when Bill died I felt so bad."  Is that Bill May?  I believe I have his last name correct.  This "Bill" I believe lived up north and then moved to California.  He was a walking encyclopedia on VW's.  He helped me on several occasions when I was restoring my 70 bug. Very nice and helpful.

Jan 23, 2019, 9:31:33 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com

NQ(and others).

Glad to see the list here. It reminds me of my relatives, don't talk for
5 years and then pick right back up like it was yesterday.

I've trimed my herd down to my 68 sedan(megasquirted 1776 turbo) and a 72
KG 1914. The turbo is newely back on the road after cracking a cylinder
at 12psi...my fault though and another long story about what NOT do do
in a hurry with your exhaust on a turbo.

NQ, to answer your first question(the one that started this).

I really don't think you could pass enough air and gas thru a 34pict to
feed a 2 liter for very long. My bet is that the jetting and idle circuit
adjustments/changes would be a nightmare....even with a limit of 4000 rpm.

Might be an interesting exercise though.

Think about the throttle body on a 2L bus engine and the teeny tiny carb
off of a 1200cc. VW always managed their horsepower by adjusting the carb
venturi size and the exhaust pipe size...mostly for longetivity as many of
us have learned over the years.

On the other hand! Wasn't it Bill May who always touted the torque coming
out of a mildly modified single port? Seems like he always believed that
the single port made more torque down low than the dual port.

Ya didn't say what you wanted to put this engine in, but I'm thinking it
wasn't something you were going to put on the hiway.

they tested with a 34pict to start with...they had dyno numbers also.

Now, time to tell *why* you want an engine like that!

Cheers, dave

No Quarter

Jan 23, 2019, 10:09:56 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave.  Thanks for your reply!  You analogy about relatives picking up from where they left off from is perfect.  That's what this is.  :)

I want this engine for my 62 double cab and 67 bus.  I would not build this way for a big, but torque is king in the bus and I want it all and I want it low.  I had my first bad experience with CB Performance large valve heads on my 1776.  It would have made tons of power, but in the bus at the point where the power band was kicking in, the bus hit terminal velocity.  I was forever running behind the power curve.  Traded straight across for Gene Berg 3 angle valve job stock valves and the power came in where I wanted it.  The guy I'm looking for was building stroker engines for the bus crowd and he told me all he did was pull the venturi and up the main jet one size.  He could tune it up and off he went.  I've never had a vw engine over 4K and in fact my bus would cruise 3600 to 3800 rpm all day long.  I suffered some low end losses with the freeway flyer and tall tires so that 1st hear takeoffs took a lot of revving to get going in the mountains and even around home.

A friend of mine in Lake Havasu City and I had a chat years ago about him working on old propane powered trucks in the mines and how these big old 6 cylinder trucks had such small valves.   They needed the increased port velocities down low for torque or they would never get anywhere.  He even bored out a set of 1300cc heads and put them on a stroker engine for fun and then put them on his single cab.  He let his friend drive it and his friend said it pulled like mad up to 35mph then fell flat on its face.  What did you do?  Lol!

It was an experiment to test the theory and for buses it it sound.   I need a conservative approach for my buses.  I know this is a type 1 list, but I feel more at home here and I think the low end of the torque spectrum is worth investigating for those who would like to build an engine and last a long term due to keeping the revs in check.

I would love to venture into the world of fuel injection.   I'm fact, I would buy a plane ticket and pay someone who would let come to them and have them teach and school me in what I need to do.  I'm only interested in naturally aspirated setups and I'd love to know just what parts I could pull from the scrap heap to accomplish it.  I'd like to take notes, ask questions galore, get part numbers for the connectors and components, know how to create the correct fuel maps and so forth.  I don't want to spend countless hours reading forums, conjecture, wading through and endless sea of talk in an effort to sleuth out some magical recipe.   It's why I'm willing to pay someone who has found a good budget approach to fuel injection and has done all the research.  Since I can't seem to find someone willing to teach me, then I'm forced to monkey with the idea of a 34 pict on a stroker.

I really mean it.  I would pay a worthy amount for the data to make it worth someone's while.  Once I knew the recipe, I could build whatever engine I wanted and fuel inject it no longer being bound by the chains and shackles of carburetors.  Unless the person teaching me specifically said to not talk about it, I would gladly put on a seminar to teach people how to do the same.

After all, happiness is only real when shared.

NQ

Jan 23, 2019, 10:36:30 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Yep Jeff that's the same Bill May.  His stamped louvered deck lid is now on my 67 bus.  He dropped it off on his way to California.  As I recall Bill got home from a funeral of a friend and succumbed to death himself.  These guys who lived ot are getting older and there is a steady stream of loss underway.  We just have to soak up as much as we can so yhe torch gets passed on.  I was in my mid 20s when I signed on this list.  In 2.5 years I will be 50.  Young and spry NQ is a memory, but the kid inside still lives on....for now...

NQ

Kirin Jacobsen

Jan 23, 2019, 10:37:03 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I will bug one of my friends who has w fuel injected bug. I know he did it budget minded and used megasquirt. Think he used some fox body mustang parts and milled up a crank trigger wheel.

Strangely thinking FI and vws makes me think of Sharkey. That car just got parted out a short time ago after being in storage for a decade.... time flies.

Bruce Howard

Jan 23, 2019, 10:40:58 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I’m still here and glad to see others are too. Agreed that Facebook feels weird and isn’t a good replacement listserv.

Sad news about Bill May, feel bad for missing the report or worse, forgotten. He was always a huge help.

Terrible news too about Rob Laffoon. He was always cool to me when we lived in Omaha, always willing to chat. I have an autographed copy of his Johnny Lightning single cab.

Still currently VW-less but my kid and I have our eye on a Ghia that an immigrant family is currently using as a play set. Already sourced a new roof with pillars and don’t even own it yet. Car life.

Later,
VWguyBruce

Sent from my iPhone

Dave C. Bolen

Jan 23, 2019, 11:29:10 AM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ,

Longish on FI.

The 68 has been running megasquirt for 14 years. After I replaced the
pistons and cylinders I decided to leave the turbo off to be able to get
to places that I plan to update(edis and wide band o2 instead of
narrowband).

Works just fine that way although I did retune it a little as the AAC p&c
appear to work much better than the old Mahle's.

My setup...
CB FI intakes with 28lb/hr CB high Z injectors(no resistor pack needed).
CB FI rails
78 bus pressure regulator(replaced with better Holley adjustable
regulator).
78 bus(2 L) throttle body(somewhat modified).
78 bus fuel pump and gas filter.
megasquirt from the second group buy(BTW the CPU on it now hitting EOL(End
of life) but I have spares).
DISx ignition cause I use their tach output module for a clean injection
signal.
Narrow band o2 sensor.
Intake manifold air temp sensor and engine temp sensor(not oil).
Throttle position sensor.

THIS IS a BLOW THRU setup when I get the turbo back on it. No blow off
valve needed. Oh and the turbo stuff started out with a lobuget carb
setup.

No spark control yet
NQ, there are sample fuel maps out there for VW guys galore(and mine).

Ok, here is the hard part. Like anything with a diy setup and a computer,
you are going to want to fiddle with it. Tune from the front seat with a
laptop. Log a test run and then feed it to a piece of software that will
adjust the Fuel table for you.

Oh, and from the logging, I know it takes me about 4/10ths of second to
shift<lol>.

The biggest part of it is running the fuel line and the return back in to
the tank. Some easy ways around that and in a bus you don't have to go
far....but you must have a fuel ring(hi pressure gas).

THen there is the wiring. Not too bad but you need the tool to do
crimps on GM weatherpack connector pins.

NQ, count on about a 10% power increase with FI.

My 1776 with turbo and meqaquirt is just awesome, no fall off in power
in 4th gear(in cool weather). VERY streetable but there when you want it
and guessing about 150hp in anything less than 90 degree weather.

Yes, there is a learning curve but once you understand the fuel is
delivered based on throttle position, rpm, map, o2 sensor(and the fuel
table)...you are done.

Want to come to North West Arkansas in the spring?<grin>
I teach for beer<grin>.
Got a brand new 1200 sq foot shop and a place to sleep.

Cheers, dave

Rayvwbug

Jan 23, 2019, 12:27:04 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have a 69 vert in pieces for so long I forget the order that it came apart. Can anyone tell me order of reassembling the dash?  Assume dash pad, gauges and switches,  glove box, etc

Thanks

Ray

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Jan 23, 2019, 2:44:28 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I've ventured into the world of smart phones over the past year or 2 and of
course since I'm so cheap, I can't buy them new. I taught myself (via
youtube) how to fix Samsung Galaxy S4 units so I like to buy them with
problems and combine the good parts to make a good working one - just like I
do with VWs. :)

Since I use the smart phone to reply from time to time and I subscribe via 2
email accounts, sometimes you will see a message from Lazlo (which is still
me - just my gmail moniker) and with all the typos that almost makes it so
that I need to translate my own messages, you can rest assured that it's all
thumbs on the smart phone coupled with auto-correct that create that mess in
the first place.

NQ

No Quarter

Jan 23, 2019, 2:44:30 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Yeah Bruce losing Rob was a shock. We had a great time on our 2001
California trip. The 3 of us started the Buskatiers group and this year is
our 20th year anniversary of Bustoberfest - our annual gathering at Indian
Cave State Park. We had a chat and got caught up and since I've been out of
the scene for many years, I've decided it wouldn't hurt me to come back at
least in part. I'm a married man now and have responsibilities so I can't
do VW all the time, but I can make a little room for it as a tribute to Rob.
I had no idea he was sick and at least now he doesn't have to worry about
his health, but when I see him again, I'm gonna give him an earful about
taking care of himself and then hit the road.

Hang on to that green Johnny Lightning single cab with the Buskatiers logo
on the back. That was in fact modeled from Rob's SC and Terry Wolfe took
the photos. They gave Rob a case of the SC's for free for his contribution.
My wife and I each have a signed copy that will never leave us until we slip
our earthly bonds.

NQ

No Quarter

Jan 23, 2019, 2:44:31 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Kirin thanks for hitting up your friend for info. I do own a small
harborfreight lathe so I have no problems cobbling something up with that if
I have to. If he is willing to do some kind of write-up, I can be reached
here or even via facebook since we a FB friends (been reading your updates.)

Not to detract from Dave B's offer - I'm going to go get some hands-on
training, but at this stage in the game, I'm open to what needs to be done
to pull this off. FI will help make my VW engines fire and forget (I know
I'm lazy) so that I only need to care about maintenance. This way I can
build any sized VW engine I want, FI it, and enjoy driving rather than
tinkering.

NQ

No Quarter

Jan 23, 2019, 2:44:34 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
That's a toughy Ray and I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I would
encourage you to do some deep scans on youtube and see if you can find
anything on there. Also, in depth thread searches on thesamba could also
help. They haven't helped me much with my quest for the stroker VW engine
with the 34-pict-3 carburetor on it, but others have been sending me links
and what info they can scare up so that will be a big help whether I find
the website or not.

No Quarter

Jan 23, 2019, 2:44:35 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply Dave. *THIS* is the grass-roots info I'm looking for
and when I mentioned to my wife about snagging another state we've never
been to, she jumped on it. I said told her you might have a place to sleep
in a shed and she was even more on board! I know I didn't mention anything
about her coming along so if that's a no-go, no worries - we can always
spring for a motel. She's so onboard infact she's already looking for what
days she can take off for the trip. I'm going to take you up on this and
plan to be a PIYA for a day or 2 while I take notes, pictures, and soak it
all up. You have all the beer coming to you that you want plus some money
because I really appreciate you helping me on this. I told Enid (my wife)
that when I start working on her beetle, I want that engine to be a 1600DP
with FI so that she doesn't have to monkey around with chokes and so forth.
She's never driven anything with a carburetor and in fact has driven more in
the USA than she ever did growing up in Australia due to public
transportation. So if you can handle hearing the Aussie accent for awhile
then get your questions ready and she'll be glad to answer.

Concerning your setup, I had read that you could do a cheap method of
creating the pressurized fuel pump ring by installing a T-fitting underneath
the tank and also back at the engine so that the excess pressure can just
recirculate without having to add another spigot on the tank. Kind of a
lazy way, but I was told it works.

With a dual FI setup, I would expect to have to syncrhonize both sides to
get the airflow adjusted properly and fiddling around with a laptop doesn't
bother me. I just don't want the bother of dorking with carbs.

We own a 1995 Mexican beetle that we towed home from KC about 6 or 7 years
ago. It has the stock FI that they came with in Mexico and it was another
minor goal of mine to reverse-engineer that setup so that I could copy it.
As it turns out, next year that beetle is 25 years old and I can license it
for use on the road and fully intend to. I had heard that the stock FI
detuned the engine down to 48hp so I wasn't all too keen about that, so if I
could do a homebrew setup that wouldn't leave me having to learn Spanish so
as to get my replacement parts ordered, I'd rather go that way.

As far as running an additional metal fuel line, I'm sure I could figure out
how to run it through the tunnel or even along the brake line on the floor
in the car. That is a bit of work yes, but to me that's a piece of cake
that is far easier to eat than monkeying with dual carbs.

With the wiring and GM crimp tool - that's the kind of stuff I need to know.

>NQ, count on about a 10% power increase with FI.
Loving it even more.

150hp from a 1776cc and I assume with a turbo - not a bad deal at all. I
had thought about a super charger years ago. Build a bullet proof bottom
end and then brute force the power with a super charger or turbo.

>Yes, there is a learning curve but once you understand the fuel is
>delivered based on throttle position, rpm, map, o2 sensor(and the fuel
>table)...you are done.

The learning curve doesn't bother me if I have someone to help me through
it. I appreciate this like you wouldn't believe. In fact, if you decide to
do this as some kind of seminar, you may end up with a little gathering of
people if you're open to it. I know others wish to learn this stuff too.

Enid and I live in Beatrice, NE so we are not far from you at all. We can
be in NW Arkansas in a touch over 6 hours.

If you're serious about the offer then I can be reached at
moc.enecirtaeb@tnelis (which is my email backwards) and we can make the
plans off-list.

Cheers! (Very Aussie/Brit of you.)

NQ

Glad to be back on the list...

Lloyd McClelland

Jan 23, 2019, 2:55:26 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hi  I’m still here , still have the ‘61 Beetle . I’ve sold the 57 Beetle- the fun part ( for me) was it went to Kafer Dave ..who knows where it is going next . Lloyd

Anil Nair

Jan 23, 2019, 10:25:50 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I'm still here..Hi from Malaysia

Kirin Jacobsen

Jan 23, 2019, 11:26:47 PM1/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Testing. I sent out a different email with a run down as to whats up with me and everything VW. Just seeing if this works.

Anil Nair

Jan 24, 2019, 3:52:28 AM1/24/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I tried to see if the list was active a few months back but sent it to the lisproc address.. forgot that it mograted to google..dohh!

Dean Johnson

Jan 24, 2019, 9:29:46 AM1/24/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I'm still here, on again off again lurker since the late '80s.
My yellow '71 Super Beetle has her engine out (rebuilt heads) and just needs a bit of welding on the heat exchangers. It gets nice and cold up here in NY by lake Ontario so I need to get that in a-one condition.
Nice to hear from everybody, and remember those who have gone.
Dean Johnson
Dean G. Johnson, PhD
Scientist
Biomedical Engineering
University of Rochester
Robert B. Goergen Hall Rm. 316
Box 270168
Rochester, NY 14627
dean.j...@rochester.edu
Office: 585-273-2156
Mobile: 315-576-5928

Bruce Howard

Jan 24, 2019, 12:51:49 PM1/24/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Awesome recipe Dave! You’ve got me hunting parts now, thanks!

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone

Dave C. Bolen

Jan 24, 2019, 1:12:18 PM1/24/19
to 'Bruce Howard' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
Bruce, thanks!

I didn't think the subject would draw much attention since I have had it
so long.

The only thing I would like to change on mine is the throttle body but
substitutions(mostly from motorcycle parts) seem few and far between.

I will take some pictures soon and post them on my website.

Cheers, dave

No Quarter

Jan 24, 2019, 3:46:27 PM1/24/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean and nice to see you still on here after all these years! I still
have the same email address I did back then even. My ISP closed down years
ago, but I pay to keep this one as the ISP who bought them out still offered
it to me if I wanted to stay with them. With all the free email addresses
available, it seems weird to pay, but I like it and want to keep it so
whatever it's worth to a guy.

You mention about remembering those who are gone. I remember a guy who was
one the list for a very short time when he and Dad were killed in a plane
wreck. I remember he posted a question and not many people answered and
they felt bad when they learned of his passing. I mean he was only on for a
week or 2 maybe when it happened. Scott Yuppa was his name and for some
reason I just never forgot him.

When researching it, it's been 20 years ago this year: CARMINE YUPPA, 64,
of Gilbert, Ariz., and his son SCOTT YUPPA, 30, of Chandler, Ariz., both
formerly of Lodi, died March 20 in a plane crash. Carmine Yuppa was a
retired truck driver and an Air Force veteran. Scott Yuppa was a computer
analyst and a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. Arrangements:
Lakeshore Mortuary, Mesa, Ariz.

I firmly believe in an eventual afterlife and so I have a list that I
maintain where I want to go find these people and meet them - let them know
they are in memory and I thought enough of them over all these years to make
it worth my while to not only remember, but to make good on it and meet them
in person. I mean if someone were to find me in the afterlife and tell me
what I meant to them, I'd be absolutely floored and honored. If they are
that keen on remembering me, as long as they aren't a creeper or nothing
like that, there is a good chance that person is worth being your friend and
you being theirs.

Stay warm and by all means get those heater boxes fixed up. John Lago
modified his VW bus heater boxes so the exhaust goes on the outside and the
heat goes down the center. He said it makes the heater way hotter since it
isn't being cooled by the outside air. He is a splitty guy who wins best
modified at shows with his beat up old bus that features a hole in the floor
to go ice fishing out of it, swivel lawn chairs for front seats, 13 gallons
of bondo on one side when he was forces off the road, wood burning pot-belly
stove for heat, snowmobile rope start for when the battery gets drained (I
rope started it once at Buses Nowhere Near the Arch), and upholstry done in
velcro so he can stick anything anywhere he wants. He has also authored
several books as far as I know.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544554

I'm glad to see he is still around. It's been 18 years since I last saw
him.

No Quarter

Jan 24, 2019, 3:46:34 PM1/24/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
When you get those pictures posted Dave I'd love to see them.

If anyone else is interested in joining up when you decide to have my wife
and come down that would be fine with me. Maybe I'd get to meet some more
listees. In the end it would be up to you Dave as I don't want to go
inviting everyone to the party and besides, maybe you would prefer more one
on one settings.

I'm headed to Australia here in a month and honestly I'm more excited about
going to Arkansas to learn FI tricks than going to Australia. LOL!

NQ

No Quarter

Jan 24, 2019, 3:48:36 PM1/24/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Anil Nair! I don't recall every meeting you nor ever really chatting, but
your name has come to mind numerous times over the years because it's so
unique! I was saying it one time to myself and trying to figure out where I
had read it and it finally came to me it was from the list!

Glad to see some of the old guard is still here. The listserv is so
oldschool, but it's cool that John Sroka has seen fit to keep it alive. I
only wish the archive of all the old posts was still around. Many were lost
as I understand. Tons of good info lost on that old listserv.

NQ
Jan 29, 2019, 3:14:26 PM1/29/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 9:19 PM No Quarter <erin.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
.

Has anyone else here done anything recently on their Type 1s?

First, it's great you are out and about meeting new VWs and their owners. I like those 2.2 ecotech engines. I worked on my daughter's Cobalt. Not the engine though, always ran great, even after it was totaled when parked. :-(
I'm still getting my Type I engine back together after some valve stems nearly gave way. Good thing I check my gaps regularly. Just need to weld my heater boxes and wait for the temp to go above 30 °F.

My daily driver is a 2013 Subaru Impreza, my fourth Suburu. If my VW engine wasn't so low-mileage I'd plop a subbie in there for sure. Though I'd like to put the engine in front and keep the all-wheel drive.
I don't know if that would come close to fitting, but since it's just a dream it doesn't really matter.

If you have a second, check out my geocities page from back in the day.

-Dean
'71 Super Beetle

Timothy Osburn

Jan 29, 2019, 5:20:35 PM1/29/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Tim Osburn (Ralph Spoilsport) here. I pulled the motor out of my 1956 euro Beetle and took it apart on my basement workbench. Awaiting heads being returned from CA for refurbishing and I'll put it back together. I'll probably drive the car around a lot this summer, then, perhaps, I'll put 'ol Ebon on the market. My '74 Westy Weekender is rarin' to go on a trip somewhere. It's the VW I'll keep till I'm dead!

Timothy Earl Osburn, Head Mechanic,
Ralph Spoilsport Motors.
Home of Fine, Old Volkswagens, Rockets, Music and....Grand Canyon Nut.

No Quarter

May 19, 2019, 10:18:02 PM5/19/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hello gang...NQ here...things have been pretty quiet here on the list since
I last posted back in January. Since that time my wife and I spent a
wonderful month in Australia that went way too fast. The trip was
punctuated with the sad fact that a young man decided to check out of life
by jumping off the bridge we were walking on. He was right behind us about
20 feet and even though we didn't see him jump, the sound and sights
afterwards will be burned into my mind until my dying day.

On a brighter note, after being on the list here since around 1996 (23 years
ago), I finally got to meet one of our long-time listees! Enid and I just
got back from spending a wonderful weekend with the Bolens in Fayetteville,
AR. The reason for the trip was for Dave to share with me his knowledge
about how to fuel-inject a VW engine and what a wonderful treat it was! I
learned so much my head is still swimming, but Dave patiently peeled back
layers of the fear of the unknown for me and gave me new-found confidence on
the entire fuel injection process. It's a bit involved, but so worth the
effort.

While Dave's wife kindly took my wife under her wing and went and did lady
things together with her, Dave and I hit the books so-to-speak. Actually, I
hit the books more - but Dave was kind enough to have a laptop with larger
screen plugged in - all propelled with linux - as well as a well thought-out
syllabus to help teach me how to do this. I've come away with a
crystal-clear view of what needs to happen in order to convert to fuel
injection.

One of my dreams was to build an upright DTM style 2L Type 4 engine, but the
dual carburetor thing always scared me off. My experience with duals hasn't
been good and I absolutely hate dorking with dual carbs. In my climate, the
lack of chokes makes starting a VW engine a pure joke and having to
synchronize carbs every so often is just not worth it to me. I like the
center-fed style like what the 1600DP has and now armed with the knowledge
Dave sent me home with, I think I could do a DTM T4 2L and create a custom
manifold that would mimic the 1600DP style and then fuel inject it!

As icing on the cake, Dave took me for a ride in his 1968 Beetle with a
1776cc engine. The turbo has been removed for various reasons while things
get resorted out, but I'm telling you guys - I have *NEVER* felt a 1776cc
engine pull like this. It was absolutely unreal and now I understand more
than ever why some dub owners like fuel injection and even turbos. You know
when you accelerate and you hit 3rd and 4th gear how your engine starts to
kind of run out of steam? That point where the cam has done it's job and
your pistons are moving so fast that only so much air-fuel mixture can enter
the cylinder? With a turbo, this doesn't happen. It just keeps right on a
pulling! I didn't experience that, but I understand the lure so much more
so now.

Our quick little 3 day vacation ended this evening when we arrived home
ready to start another work week, but we left with gratitude in our hearts
and with much thankfulness for the hospitality shown to us on our quick
stay. Dave's friend Randy was an absolute pleasure to chat with and we hope
to make our way back down there again soon where we felt welcomed with open
arms.

In closing, I share with y'all a photo of the 2 of us...the teacher and the
student with the project in the background. If my eyes look a little
crossed, it's not without good reason because I got schooled hard and
enjoyed every single stinkin' minute of it.

https://elassleybie.incolor.com/temp/DaveBolenNQ.jpg

Thank You Dave and Marion (and Randy!) for the wonderful and all-too-short
time spent together.

NQ

Rayvwbug

May 20, 2019, 9:37:52 PM5/20/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ. You could be a writer. Awesome writeup. You are welcome to bunk here anytime you plan to be in PA

Ray

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

May 21, 2019, 8:36:25 AM5/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ray. I used to amaze myself with my articles I wrote simply because
I hated writing so much in school. When I could type my thoughts, it seemed
to flow so much easier.

I've been scanning the net for the parts I'll need to do the conversion on a
type 1. The choices are endless, but one thing I'm discovering is that the
one TPS I need, is the one that costs so blooming much...like 60 to 80 bucks
easy. Yet there are TPS units from other cars - less easy to work with -
for well under 10 bucks and sometimes under 5. It looks like I will be
getting resourceful and possible even utilizing some 3D printing to make
adapters.

If I'm ever in PA, I will take you up on your offer. Enid and I were coming
back from Maine last October and had a 13 hour layover in Philadelphia
primarily because I didn't notice the different between AM and PM on the
flight itinerary. That was a long day.

I'm assuming that FI isn't something most guys are interested in due to the
lack of response on here and that is okay. I was doing even more
brainstorming today about what I would do if my FI system crashed so then I
started thinking about putting a TPS on a 34-pict-3 and just leaving the
fuel shut off to the carb. If anytime my tps failed, I'd disable everything
including the fuel pump, and switch over to old carburetor mode so I could
keep on going.

Carburetors just don't impress me now that we have FI and with the pull of
Dave's 1776 etched in my mind, I can't say no any more. Just gotta work
toward saving some bucks by being a bit more ingenious with how to home brew
this entire thing.

NQ

Dan Moy

May 21, 2019, 8:39:54 AM5/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ, have you checked with Jake Raby, wealth of information and reminds me of Gene Berg, although nicer ;^)

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at http://www.mail-archive.com/vint...@googlegroups.com

D Johnson

May 21, 2019, 10:40:40 AM5/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ, I've always been a lurker (since the 80's) but certainly enjoy your posts. I will try, in the future, to comment so you know there is interest. I will always read a good technical or vw related post. Keep it up. BTW I ran across this from a couple years ago...

You probably saw it too. Keep us up to date on your project, and I'll do the same, if I get a chance to put my bug back together. I'm upgrading to an alternator so I can run an electric heater. The old generator wasn't cutting it. I also need to weld some holes that have appeared in my heater boxes. But first I have to re-wire my welder... and clean my shop...

Dean Johnson
'71 Super Beetle

No Quarter

May 21, 2019, 2:12:03 PM5/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean and thanks for taking a minute to reply.

I stumbled across that link last night - the Speeduino it's called which
uses the Arduino platform as an ECU with some help from an add-on board. I
like the fact that it costs less than megasquirt (MS), but I didn't see as
much support for it online and for a newb, we rest on the shoulders of
giants - aka needing help. Any project you embark on for the first time is
fraught with fears of the unknown so the more help you get the more
enjoyable it becomes to learn.

I would also advise you to change to the alternator, but give up on the idea
of electric heat. If your PA winters are anything like here, you simply
cannot ever get enough BTUs to do any good. One of the best things you can
do for heat is to figure out a nice way to install bilge pump fans or some
kind of 12VDC dual squirrel cage fans in the back luggage area as intake
fans which will take the air from the passenger compartment and route it
through the firewall to your heater boxes and subsequently back into the
car. The heater boxes have plenty of heat, but the letharic pressure due to
the siphoning arrangement back on the fan shroud barely gets any of the heat
into the bug. Use 1 7/8" freeze plugs with hose clamps to block the fan
shroud outputs off and in fact, if you want to focus on better cooling for
your engine, remove the heater outputs and just weld a flat plate over the
hole to help streamline the air going to the cylinders. If your idea of
switching to an alternator is to run electric fans on the input side of the
heater system, it's justifiable otherwise don't even bother because you'll
be upset at how pathetic 12VDC heaters are.

The next step would be to locate a Stewart Warner gas heater, rebuild it,
(converting from 6v to 12v is a piece of cake - just wire the pump and fan
in series on a 6V unit), and install that. Those are the only 2 ways to get
bonafide heat in a bug without going with some kind of auxiliary propane
heater.

At any rate, if someone wanted to extoll the virtues of the speeduino
system, I'd be all ears as the price certainly is interesting!

For right now, I'm working on what I need to do in order to convert a Type 1
engine over and a future Type 4 project.

What I'm finding out is that no one makes a center fed manifold for Type 4s.
When going FI, they just hook linkage to both sides and I don't want that.
It appears that I would need to get some manifolds that are meant for dual
single bbl carburetors and then fabricate an intake system where all I would
need is one throttle body to control it all. No dual-anythings to have to
sync. On the DRM conversions, it doesn't appear there is room to put a
sizeable intake between the alternator and the shroud like on the Type 1
engines. So I've already been envisioning running an intake tube over the
top and down and then just doing an updraft setup. It almost sounds like
I'm plumbing for a turbo. :)

Anyway, that's it for now. Anythink I learn about FI, I will gladly share
here and then Dave can chime in and correct me when I'm wrong thereby
guiding down the FI path.

NQ

Dean Johnson

May 21, 2019, 3:26:27 PM5/21/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ,
I just want to clear the ice off the windscreen, I can take the cold, but I do need to see. :)
I would think a propane heater would be easier, and safer, than a gas heater. I actually had a gas heater when I lived in Michigan, but the fuel smell kept me from using it most of the time. I do have two bilge fans but haven't hooked them up. I'll have to think about what I need once I have the car up and running. Getting the stock heating system will be a priority at that time. My '61 (before I traded it for a motorcycle) had better heat with its 'Dirty Air' system.

Dean,
P.S. I'm in NY, not PA, so it's even colder than you think, even though Lake Ontario does keep us warm during the first part of the winter.
Rochester, NY Home of the Garbage Plate, which is some sort of food.

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at http://www.mail-archive.com/vint...@googlegroups.com

Dave C. Bolen

May 23, 2019, 11:37:38 AM5/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ,

Thanks for the kind words! It was good for me to go back over a lot of
things both learned and forgotten 14 years ago when I first installed
megasquirt.

Hopefully the side trips down memory lane added to the entertainment value
of "class" and let you get "un-crossed" eyes for a few minutes.

It was great to visit and see someone in person(and his lovely wife) that
has been on the list so long!...is it really 26 years!!!?

Cheers, dave
> --
> Visit the VintagVW archives at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/vint...@googlegroups.com
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vintagvw/00bd01d50eb2%243f0557e0%241601a8c0%40NQHPBOX.

Dave C. Bolen

May 23, 2019, 12:08:32 PM5/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

You must have hit Jake on a good day or maybe he has just mellowed over
the years.

He used to be pretty gruff and crusty and suffered no fools.

Cheers, dave
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vintagvw/CANyhGbtM2YoWT55hvLq441RwiqUuvuJXOD6j%3D_QkAaUDb3knKw%40mail.gmail.com.

Dave C. Bolen

May 23, 2019, 12:12:51 PM5/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com

Dean,

oh, that is nice one! Wish a could weld aluminum!

The contour throttle body was one thing I suggested to NQ.

Cheers, dave
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vintagvw/CAOm0kBn95saA-wJx7V-DJ551ghac-1fr%3D9Ko3-JmMRDM%2BQb7SQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No Quarter

May 23, 2019, 8:54:50 PM5/23/19
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I have indeed checked out Raby's stuff and boy you have to pay a mint for
some of that stuff. Raby takes it to Porsche level for sure and then some.
If I can get a good set of heads, I've got a mild stroker crank I could use
and then it's just getting the DTM cooling stuff situated. I really don't
like that DTM stuff without a thermostat because if you drive on a cool day,
it can just keep the engine too cool. I guess the solution is only to drive
in warm weather and drive it like you stole it. LOL!

NQ