Carbs are done...

D Johnson

Jun 10, 2020, 3:05:18 PM6/10/20
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Turns out my carbs didn't need much soaking at all, but they were full of 'mud'. The inlet filters were nearly packed with black material. A little simple green, worked a treat, and compressed air ensured that all my passages open. Thank you for the warnings about over soaking.

I do have another question though. On one carb, the cold start pistons are immovable. I didn't apply much force as I believe if they are stuck down then I'm good to go. On the other carb, they move freely and I reassembled them as they should be. I, of course, do not have choke levers on these so they shouldn't operate anyway. Before I reinstall the carbs in the car, should I disable the cold start circuits so they don't dribble gas when I don't want it, or I am ok with one stuck down and one free to move (with no way to move it)?

BTW the carbs had not been used much as I switched to a single carb due to overly restrictive heads (the dual carbs made no difference). But they had sat with gas in them, my fault, for twenty years.

Dean
1971 Super Beetle 1915 cc Dual Weber 44 IDF

Dan Moy

Jun 10, 2020, 5:42:07 PM6/10/20
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Dean, I did not know that they have a cold start circuit and had to look it up, from what I read on this thread it sounds like you need to either have it working correctly or properly disable (drill and tap a set screw to keep the plungers permanently in their lowest position) to avoid idle problems.  Check out this thread: https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=147467

Regards,
Dan

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at http://www.mail-archive.com/vint...@googlegroups.com

D Johnson

Jun 11, 2020, 4:55:47 PM6/11/20
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan, that's good to know. One carb is good to go, as all the pieces are in good shape. I will check the other and see if the seized pistons are sealing the opening. If they are I'll leave it. If not, I'll tap it and put in a set screw, probably will do both at the same time if needed.
Thanks again,
Dean