Just checking ...

1 view

bert....@comcast.net

Nov 3, 2021, 9:59:01 AM11/3/21
to vint...@googlegroups.com

Volks,

I’ve been following the thread, newly unraveled by NQ, checking the vitals of the old listserv group.  So I suppose I ought to see if it’s still receiving me.  As I posted recently, I’m alive and well in Nashville, mostly working on my police beetle (and a ’72 SB) and hitting the regional shows and other events. I’ve gone from working on my cars to just enjoying them, now that they’re restored and looking good.  I’ve also been assisting some other folks around the country with their own restorations (free advice is a specialty), especially those with old VW emergency vehicles – or re-creations of the same. One guy has a beautiful old fire chief’s car (an Einsatzleitwagen) in Upstate NY. I have a Facebook page for car stuff under “Robert Knupp.” There’s a group based in Belgium, “Vw d’Urgence,” that’s fun, too.

mbuc...@charter.net

Nov 3, 2021, 10:05:59 AM11/3/21
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I’m still here and still actively rebuilding and restoring old VW’s (and some Porsches) .   Now that I have a good line bore kit, I can help my friends with that too.  Mostly retired and with more time to play Volkswagens!

I have my ‘59 euro ragtop bug, an ‘87 Westy, Cheryl Deschene’s (RIP) ‘58 bug, and a ‘71 Ghia.

Mike Bucchino

My iPhone 5S iOS 12 is ready for upgrade!

Nov 3, 2021, 2:58:14 PM11/3/21
to vint...@googlegroups.com
I've been a lurker here since the late 90's as well - benefiting from the fine community's advice and help, which was always eagerly given and tremendously appreciated. I don't really have the skills return the favors.

My Bug has sat unmoving for a decade or so as work and life and kids replaced all the car time. I still say goodnight to it and dust it off regularly. His big brother the 911 in the space next to it gets out now and then in good weather (it's a Targa), but salty roads and snowy winters keep it inside much of the year.

With the Bug, the wife wants it moving or gone so she can have the garage space. I've not yet decided if I need to engage someone to re-re-restore it, or if it needs to bring joy to another enthusiast. I just don't have the cycles to work on it these days, and won't for some time.

Seeing emails on the list has really given me a smile!

Eric

Lazlo

Nov 3, 2021, 5:56:56 PM11/3/21
to vint...@googlegroups.com
Oooooh a ragtop!  What problems does it have?  Are you needing help to get the engine going or is it bodywork or both?  I haven't driven my bug for probably close to 10 years now and I need to get out Li'l Red and get him going.  My wife and I are planning to get a shop built on our acreage so that at long last I can actually work on stuff.  I want to get a 2 or 4 post lift installed too so I can stand up.  My grandpa was about 60 years old when he finally got his shop built so I could potentially beat him by 10 years.  He got to enjoy his for about 30 years so maybe I've got 40 left?  I dunno but I can tell you it doesn't get any easier as you get older.  :)

NQ

Eric Ridvan Üner

Nov 4, 2021, 6:51:03 AM11/4/21
to vint...@googlegroups.com
NQ,

The body is in generally good shape, but the JC Whitney body gaskets throughout have dried out and many of them need replacing. The biggest issues are with suspension and getting the engine running. It had this massive Weber carb on it that kept freezing the manifold, so I downgraded to something a little more manageable I found in a junk yard, and never could keep it running right thereafter. Specifically, it would sputter and stall at idle with the new carburetor, and none of the shade tree mechanic things I was used to adjusting would help. I removed it, more thoroughly cleaned. it and tried opening the jets a bit at local shop's recommendation, but it had zero effect. Now it's just sat for so long I cannot even get it started to play with it. Probably basic things to someone who knows what they are doing.

Thing is, even with the freeze-inducing Weber kludged on there, I put 80K miles on that motor back when the Bug was my only means of transportation. Nothing but timing and lots of oil changes over the years - all things I could handle with my trusty Muir manual. And who knows how many miles it had when I received it. You gotta really appreciate the engineering of these machines. We spent a lot of good hours together when it ran better. And I ran a lot better back then as well. :-)

The rear also sags (um, the Bug's not mine so much yet). I know the front normally rides high, but this is a very noticeable drop in the back - to the point where I can feel in turns, but a couple local shops were no help.

A shop on your land sounds heavenly, NQ. May your plans come to fruition, maybe with a picture of your grandpa on the wall!

Eric