goyo plugin and artifacts in TTY

meine

Oct 30, 2021, 4:48:30 PM10/30/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for distraction free writing I like working in TTY -- terminal, no
graphical environment. I also like using the Goyo plugin to make the
lines ons screen shorter.

When starting Goyo, artifacts of the previous screen-wide display of the
text stay. Scrolling though the text doesn't remove them (as opposed to
Goyo in a GUI, where resizing the window removes the artifacts).

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Maybe it is in the plugin code, but I'm not (yet) that skilled to find
possible solutions.

TIA,

//meine

Lifepillar

Oct 30, 2021, 5:18:52 PM10/30/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-10-30, meine <tria...@gmx.com> wrote:
> When starting Goyo, artifacts of the previous screen-wide display of the
> text stay. Scrolling though the text doesn't remove them (as opposed to
> Goyo in a GUI, where resizing the window removes the artifacts).

I do not have a solution, but I use Goyo and I cannot reproduce your
issue in my terminal (Apple's Terminal.app). You should provide more
details about your environment: Vim version, OS, terminal.

And have you searched for similar issues at
https://github.com/junegunn/goyo.vim/issues? You may have more luck
reporting your problem there.

Life.

Bram Moolenaar

Nov 1, 2021, 6:45:22 PM11/1/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com, meine
I have seen this, only with the Apple Terminal app. It looks like a bug
in Terminal, since Vim cannot produce this pixel dust. You can report
the problem to Apple (but they have a history of being very
unresponsive).

--
Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

meine

Nov 2, 2021, 6:48:05 PM11/2/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> > When starting Goyo, artifacts of the previous screen-wide display of the
> > text stay. Scrolling though the text doesn't remove them (as opposed to
> > Goyo in a GUI, where resizing the window removes the artifacts).
>
> I have seen this, only with the Apple Terminal app. It looks like a bug
> in Terminal, since Vim cannot produce this pixel dust. You can report
> the problem to Apple (but they have a history of being very
> unresponsive).

The problem is in the FreeBSD Operating System, with vim version
8.2.3458 but also on earlier versions.

It is *not* in some app, but plain TTY console/terminal -- no GUI
whatsoever (yep, this OS can do such basic things ;-). In FreeBSD version
13.0 p4, I use the default VT terminal for TTY.

Routine is to first ask at the program level, so I dropped it here.
Since you don't recognize the problem, I'll ask at the OS-level.

Thanks anyway,

Kind Regards,

//meine