Status of sound support in Vim

Lifepillar

Jul 5, 2020, 8:44:50 AM7/5/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
What is the status of +sound in Vim? In particular, is anyone working on
adding support for macOS?

The manual has examples mentioning Ubuntu, so I infer that Ubuntu should
be supported, but I cannot get any sound. I have tried with .wav, .oga
and .ogg files, so I don't think it's a format issue. Audio is working
in my platform, as I can play sound files with ffplay and other tools
from the command line. Using Vim 8.1.2269 with +sound. Any idea how to
troubleshoot that?

Thanks,
Life.

Dominique Pellé

Jul 5, 2020, 8:56:47 AM7/5/20
to Vim List
Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
https://github.com/vim/killersheep

For macOs, I see that ":help todo" has this item:

=== BEGIN QUOTE :help todo ===
Sound: support on Mac? Or does libcanberra work there?
=== END QUOTE ===

Regards
Dominique

Bram Moolenaar

Jul 5, 2020, 9:22:41 AM7/5/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Dominique Pellé
Right, it requires someone to find out the way to implement it on Mac.
It should be able to play .mp3 or .ogg file. Hopefully both.

--
FIRST VILLAGER: We have found a witch. May we burn her?

Lifepillar

Jul 5, 2020, 4:10:08 PM7/5/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-07-05, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Dominique wrote:
>
>> Lifepillar wrote:
>>
>> > What is the status of +sound in Vim? In particular, is anyone working on
>> > adding support for macOS?
>> >
>> > The manual has examples mentioning Ubuntu, so I infer that Ubuntu should
>> > be supported, but I cannot get any sound. I have tried with .wav, .oga
>> > and .ogg files, so I don't think it's a format issue. Audio is working
>> > in my platform, as I can play sound files with ffplay and other tools
>> > from the command line. Using Vim 8.1.2269 with +sound. Any idea how to
>> > troubleshoot that?
>>
>> Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
>> I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
>> https://github.com/vim/killersheep

Apparently, there is something wrong in my box then. Thanks for
double checking... and for the link!

>> For macOs, I see that ":help todo" has this item:
>>
>> === BEGIN QUOTE :help todo ===
>> Sound: support on Mac? Or does libcanberra work there?
>> === END QUOTE ===
>
> Right, it requires someone to find out the way to implement it on Mac.

I guess that it is not trivial, but I remain hopeful.

Life.

Lifepillar

Jul 6, 2020, 4:05:41 AM7/6/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-07-05, Lifepillar <lifep...@lifepillar.me> wrote:
> On 2020-07-05, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dominique wrote:

>>> Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
>>> I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
>>> https://github.com/vim/killersheep
>
> Apparently, there is something wrong in my box then. Thanks for
> double checking... and for the link!

For the record, this was something as silly as having System Sounds
turned off in Ubuntu's Sound Settings (:blush:)

Life.

rwmit...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2020, 11:39:25 AM7/6/20
to vim_use

On 2020-07-05, Lifepillar <lifep> wrote:

For the record, this was something as silly as having System Sounds
turned off in Ubuntu's Sound Settings (:blush:)

Life.

I'm confused.

I thought the initial question was specifically asking about sound on macOS ( the operating system, not the hardware)
but the solution was a setting in Ubuntu, a different operating system.

Lifepillar

Jul 7, 2020, 2:12:10 AM7/7/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
In fact, I have asked two questions:

1. What is the status on macOS? (Bram: still on todo list, no ETA)
2. As +sound in Linux is implemented, why am I not getting any sound?
(Answering myself: silly overview on my part)

Life.