Format of persistent history undofiles

Brian Lew

Apr 26, 2020, 11:51:16 AM4/26/20
to vim_use
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any documentation about the format of the persistent history undofiles generated when the undofile option is set.

I am looking to read them in programmatically (outside of vim) and noticed that they are in a binary format.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brian

Bram Moolenaar

Apr 26, 2020, 1:41:53 PM4/26/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Brian Lew
There is no documentation other than the source code.

The format is private to Vim, it's not supposed to be used in any other
way. However, since existing undo files must be readable by future
versions of Vim, they can be expected to be backwards compatible.

26. You check your mail. It says "no new messages." So you check it again.