Spurious E13 message

JESii

Jun 8, 2019, 9:59:01 AM6/8/19
to vim_use
I've been using vim for many years and have a strange problem that just cropped up.

I'm in vim happily editing, saving as I go and then suddenly I get "E13 File exists (add ! to override)" and I have to :w! to save the file. Then I'll be able to save the file a few more times, and then I get the E13 again.

I have only two buffers open; noreadonly is set; there's nothing I can see in :set or :setlocal that would indicate I have to "overwrite" an existing file.

No recent .vimrc changes that would seem to make a difference.

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.1 (2018 May 18, compiled Jun 3 2019 04:49:45)
macOS version
Included patches: 1-1450
Compiled by Homebrew

Any thoughts on what else to look for? Google yields nothing relevant except the old (2010) complaint on 73b which was posted here. It's driving me nuts.

thanks

Manfred Lotz

Jun 8, 2019, 10:18:50 AM6/8/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 06:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
JESii <jse...@edpci.com> wrote:

> I've been using vim for many years and have a strange problem that
> just cropped up.
>
> I'm in vim happily editing, saving as I go and then suddenly I get
> "E13 File exists (add ! to override)" and I have to :w! to save the
> file. Then I'll be able to save the file a few more times, and then I
> get the E13 again.
>
> I have only two buffers open; noreadonly is set; there's nothing I
> can see in :set or :setlocal that would indicate I have to
> "overwrite" an existing file.

I guess you checked already that it happened as well when you run
vim -U NONE somfile

If not you should.

If yes and the error is gone then the only idea I have is to start with
a clean .vimrc and to add things from your saved .vimrc in pieces to see
when the error starts happening.

--
Manfred

JESii

Jun 9, 2019, 12:40:59 AM6/9/19
to vim_use
On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 7:18:50 AM UTC-7, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 06:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
> JESii

Thanks, Manfred... Didn't know about that -- I'll give that a try. The whole thing is strange because on my other machine which shares the .vimrc, everything is working fine. But I will check my recent changes again...

Cheers...jon

Manfred Lotz

Jun 9, 2019, 1:49:21 AM6/9/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,
Perhaps you find out what caused it by backing out your recent
changes

Five days ago I had a problem with neovim where a `dd` and a `p` gave
strange results. I also have my .vimrc (which will be used by vim and
neovim) shared over some machines. The problem happened on one machine
only, and it happened with neovim only. vim was ok.

Without any .vimrc neovim behaved well. So I started with an
empty .vimrc and added my stuff slowly to find out that
set clipboard=unnamed,unnamedplus
caused the problem.

Having had a problem with the clipboard manager when using mupdf it
occured to me that the clipboard manager parcellite which ran on the
machine where the problem occured was differerent to the one on the
other machine. I stopped parcellite and the problem was gone. I should
add that I had been using parcellite for years. Don't know why
parcellite kind of freaked out.

So, also in your case it could be that something outside of vim could
be different on that one machine causing the problem in conjunction
with a specific setting in the .vimrc. Then the question would be: is
it a vim problem or is it an outside problem where vim just suffers?

--
Manfred

Jon Seidel

Jun 9, 2019, 2:02:37 AM6/9/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Manfred...
Interesting situation: I will take a look. My personal machine is a 2013 MacBook; the client machine was the latest MacBook, so plainly some differences. Also, they have tons of security/admin stuff which mine doesn’t have.

Hopefully, I won’t have to rebuild my .vimrc — I've got over 2000 lines in there, what with all the shortcuts I’ve created for programming.

Best…jon