Dry run for 'make install`?

Suresh Govindachar

Jul 25, 2022, 7:25:27 AM7/25/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Is it possible to do a dry-run of `make install`? If so, how exactly? If
not, are there other ways to find out what would happen on executing
`make install`?

--Suresh

jr

Jul 25, 2022, 7:28:19 AM7/25/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
hi,
'make -n', 'make -n install'.

regards, jr.

rwmit...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2022, 8:28:56 AM7/25/22
to vim_use
while that is technically correct, 'make -n install' typically outputs a lot of text that can be tedious to sort thru, when the real questions is - I just want to see where files are going to be copied.

jr

Jul 25, 2022, 8:46:48 AM7/25/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 13:29, rwmit...@gmail.com <rwmit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 'make -n', 'make -n install'.
> while that is technically correct, 'make -n install' typically outputs a lot of text that can be tedious to sort thru,

</grin>

> when the real questions is - I just want to see where files are going to be copied.

personally, I like to wrap './configure's and or 'make's with a
'script -c make build-log' or similar, it gives me more
time/opportunity to "process" the details. to then "see where files
are going", I'd use (eg) 'grep'.

regards, jr.