Any way to incorporate graphics into Gvim?

Steve Litt

Jan 21, 2024, 11:31:23 PMJan 21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there a way to
incorporate a .png or .svg into Gvim, right by the characters it
represents?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

meine

Jan 23, 2024, 1:21:23 PMJan 23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 11:31:13PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there a way to
> incorporate a .png or .svg into Gvim, right by the characters it
> represents?

Since Vim/Gvim is a _text_ editor, there is no way of displaying a
picture inline in the view of the text.

There are however ways to point to a picture for pre-print. When you
print the text, the picture will be printed there where you pointed it.

This can eg. be done with basic markdown, see
https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics at 'IMAGES'. LaTeX
documents do the same.

//meine

Steve Litt

Jan 23, 2024, 10:47:31 PMJan 23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
'meine' via vim_use said on Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:21:13 +0100

>On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 11:31:13PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there a way to
>> incorporate a .png or .svg into Gvim, right by the characters it
>> represents?
>
>Since Vim/Gvim is a _text_ editor, there is no way of displaying a
>picture inline in the view of the text.

Thanks meine. I figured this would be the answer.

>There are however ways to point to a picture for pre-print. When you
>print the text, the picture will be printed there where you pointed it.
>
>This can eg. be done with basic markdown, see
>https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics at 'IMAGES'. LaTeX
>documents do the same.

Yes. The TIO (Tab Indented Outline) to HTML presentation converter I'm
making will do this. Thanks for answering my question.

meine

Jan 24, 2024, 2:44:57 PMJan 24
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> >There are however ways to point to a picture for pre-print. When you
> >
> >This can eg. be done with basic markdown, see
> >https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics at 'IMAGES'. LaTeX
> >documents do the same.
>
> Yes. The TIO (Tab Indented Outline) to HTML presentation converter I'm
> making will do this. Thanks for answering my question.

For pre-print and processing take a look at `pandoc`. It is a program or
series of software that interpretes basic input to make beautiful PDF.

I use Vim to make documents and make PDF out of it with the help of
pandoc. Next to the mentioned basic markdown, you can also add LaTeX
commands to eg. skip page numbers and a lot more.

//meine

Steve Litt

Jan 24, 2024, 5:29:56 PMJan 24
to vim...@googlegroups.com
'meine' via vim_use said on Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:44:47 +0100

>> >There are however ways to point to a picture for pre-print. When you
>> >
>> >This can eg. be done with basic markdown, see
>> >https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics at 'IMAGES'.
>> >LaTeX documents do the same.
>>
>> Yes. The TIO (Tab Indented Outline) to HTML presentation converter
>> I'm making will do this. Thanks for answering my question.
>
>For pre-print and processing take a look at `pandoc`. It is a program
>or series of software that interpretes basic input to make beautiful
>PDF.

Given my input file would be Tab Indented Outline (TIO), which of the
following allowed input formats would I use:

biblatex, bibtex, commonmark, commonmark_x, creole, csljson, csv,
docbook, docx, dokuwiki, epub, fb2, gfm, haddock, html, ipynb, jats,
jira, json, latex, man, markdown, markdown_github, markdown_mmd,
markdown_phpextra, markdown_strict, mediawiki, muse, native, odt, opml,
org, rst, rtf, t2t, textile, tikiwiki, twiki, vimwiki

t2t didn't work, it produced a PDF whose first paragraph was line
wrapped instead of respecting the newlines in my TIO. The default
markdown input format didn't work: On a short outline it removed the
indentation, and on a long outline it took forever (over 3 minutes) to
compile, so I Ctrl+C'ed out.