The package you uploaded (vim-noweb.tgz) is empty

Edward McGuire

May 26, 2023, 5:43:34 PM5/26/23
to vim_use
This is my first time to try to contribute a Vim plugin to vim.org.
Where is this newbie going wrong?

I offered a tarball containing an ftdetect, a syntax, and a README and LICENSE.
The site replied: "The package you uploaded (vim-noweb.tgz) is empty".

I have already extracted my own tarball to double check the contents.
I have also tried renaming to vim-noweb.tar.gz, in case it was to do with naming .

The plugin I'm trying to contribute lives at
and the actual tarball is there.

Cheers!
Edward

Christian Brabandt

May 30, 2023, 8:38:34 AM5/30/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am not sure. What is the script id? I might be able to check it on the
server (no promises however).

Also is there a reason, you are using the tgz/tar.gz extension? That is
always a bit troublesome to extract on Windows, so just curious if this
works with a zip extension or a simple .vmb for vimball.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Wenn jeder Mensch ahnte, von wie vielen er durchschaut wird!
-- Elias Canetti (Die Provinz des Menschen. 1942-1972)

Edward McGuire

May 30, 2023, 1:48:38 PM5/30/23
to vim_use
On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:38:34 PM UTC Christian Brabandt wrote:
> What is the script id? I might be able to check it on the server (no promises however).

Originally "vim-noweb", and also when I ran into the problem I tried making the ID the same as the filename "vim-noweb.tar.gz" and "vim-noweb.tgz".

I was following "https://www.vim.org/scripts/add_script.php". There I see the example, "if I was writing a script foo.vim that also had vim help file and a README file I would name the script foo.vim but my script package would be foo.tar.gz". So of course that is the example I followed.

> Just curious if this works with a zip extension or a simple .vmb for vimball.

Great question. I had not heard of vimball. I will try it and see if that gets around the error.

Is vimball the most portable format? Should the example be updated on vim.org?

Cheers! Edward

Christian Brabandt

May 31, 2023, 10:26:20 AM5/31/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar

On Di, 30 Mai 2023, Edward McGuire wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:38:34 PM UTC Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > What is the script id? I might be able to check it on the server (no promises
> however).
>
> Originally "vim-noweb", and also when I ran into the problem I tried making the
> ID the same as the filename "vim-noweb.tar.gz" and "vim-noweb.tgz".

No, I was referring to the vim.org URL, which should contain a script id.

> > Also is there a reason, you are using the tgz/tar.gz extension?
>
> I was following "https://www.vim.org/scripts/add_script.php". There I see the
> example, "if I was writing a script foo.vim that also had vim help file and a
> README file I would name the script foo.vim but my script package would be
> foo.tar.gz". So of course that is the example I followed.

I would just call it "foo" or in your case "vim-noweb"

> > Just curious if this works with a zip extension or a simple .vmb for vimball.
>
> Great question. I had not heard of vimball. I will try it and see if that gets
> around the error.

See :h vimball

> Is vimball the most portable format? Should the example be updated on vim.org?

I think vimball format was invented to have a nice way to distribute
plguins in some kind of archive form (but only works well for text
files). Nowadays, it seems it is rarely used and github plugin links
have become the de-facto standard.

That document should shows an example. It may make sense to update this:
ping @bram

Best,
Christian
--
In der Realität ist die Wirklichkeit ganz anders.

Bram Moolenaar

May 31, 2023, 5:30:13 PM5/31/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Christian Brabandt

> > > Just curious if this works with a zip extension or a simple .vmb for vimball.
> >
> > Great question. I had not heard of vimball. I will try it and see if
> > that gets around the error.
>
> See :h vimball
>
> > Is vimball the most portable format? Should the example be updated
> > on vim.org?
>
> I think vimball format was invented to have a nice way to distribute
> plguins in some kind of archive form (but only works well for text
> files). Nowadays, it seems it is rarely used and github plugin links
> have become the de-facto standard.

Right, those who don't mind pulling plugins directly from github, using
a plugin manager, won't use vimballs. Those who prefer the good old
"download & install" will find vimball fits their usage better. It's
mostly a choice the plugin writer makes and usually finds it less work
to just keep doing the same. But some support both, it's a little work
up front but little maintenance.

> That document should shows an example. It may make sense to update this:
> ping @bram

This was written by Charles Campbell. Is the help for ":MkVimball" not
sufficient? If someone wants to propose an improvement then ask Charles
to review it.

--
From "know your smileys":
% Bike accident. A bit far-fetched, I suppose; although...

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

Lifepillar

Jun 2, 2023, 7:33:40 AM6/2/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2023-05-26, Edward McGuire <met...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I offered a tarball containing an ftdetect, a syntax, and a README and
> LICENSE.
> The site replied: "The package you uploaded (vim-noweb.tgz) is empty".

I am getting the same error, e.g.:

vim-solarized8-1.5.0.tar.gz is empty, are you sure you specified the correct path?

I have tried to upload both a .tar.gz and a .zip file: no difference.

Script IDs I've tried: 5575 (WWDC17 colorscheme) and 5388 (Solarized 8).

URLs:
https://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=5575
https://www.vim.org/scripts/add_script_version.php?script_id=5388

Hope this helps,
Life.

Christian Brabandt

Jun 2, 2023, 8:53:50 AM6/2/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hm, I see the same, when trying to push a vimball. I can see in the
browser it is uploaded successfully, but in the php script, it seems the
variables are not filled correctly.

No idea what is going on.

Best,
Christian
--
Bei schönen Stellen im Theater hustet niemand, es ist also
willkürlich.

Bram Moolenaar

Jun 2, 2023, 12:48:22 PM6/2/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Lifepillar
I can't find anything wrong in the PHP code. It has not changed for a
long time. Sometimes a PHP version update causes trouble, but I don't
see anything special in how the mechanism works. I don't see any web
server logs where the problem would be mentioned.

The PHP docs suggest that the size is zero if no file was actually
selected. I don't expect you made that mistake though.

You could try using another browser.

94. Now admit it... How many of you have made "modem noises" into
the phone just to see if it was possible? :-)

Lifepillar

Jun 3, 2023, 6:17:34 AM6/3/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2023-06-02, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> You could try using another browser.

I have tried with Safari, Brave, and LibreWolf (~Firefox) on macOS to no
avail. I have taken care to disable ad blockers and, afaics, only
cross-site cookies are blocked.

Life.

Christian Brabandt

Jun 5, 2023, 3:31:55 AM6/5/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
FWIW: I wanted to have a second look today, but it seems the webpage is
down currently (not being able to connect to the db).

Best,
Christian
--
Stilblüten aus Schreiben von Versicherungsnehmern:
Der andere Wagen war absolut unsichtbar, und dann verschwand er wieder.

Bram Moolenaar

Jun 5, 2023, 1:31:29 PM6/5/23

Christian wrote:

> On Sa, 03 Jun 2023, Lifepillar wrote:
>
> > On 2023-06-02, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> >
> > > You could try using another browser.
> >
> > I have tried with Safari, Brave, and LibreWolf (~Firefox) on macOS to no
> > avail. I have taken care to disable ad blockers and, afaics, only
> > cross-site cookies are blocked.
>
> FWIW: I wanted to have a second look today, but it seems the webpage is
> down currently (not being able to connect to the db).

I have see some DB errors the last few days. Usually the problem goes
away a bit later, e.g. after an hour. I have no clue what might cause this.

--
An actual excerpt from a classified section of a city newspaper:
"Illiterate? Write today for free help!"

JohnBeckett

Jun 5, 2023, 10:57:11 PM6/5/23
to vim_use
On Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 3:31:29 AM UTC+10 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
I have see some DB errors the last few days. Usually the problem goes
away a bit later, e.g. after an hour. I have no clue what might cause this.

Are you able to ask for help at the hosting service? The problem would probably be resolved by restarting whatever it is that hosts www.vim.org. Google shows lots of hits for "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket".

John

Bram Moolenaar

Jun 6, 2023, 11:44:50 AM6/6/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, JohnBeckett
I have created a ticket. Unfortunately the information we have is not
very specific, that makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem. If you
notice the problem, plesae gather as much information as you can,
especially the exact time, and let me know. I can add that to the
ticket.

124. You begin conversations with, "Who is your internet service provider?"

Christian Brabandt

Jun 7, 2023, 8:34:23 AM6/7/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Di, 06 Jun 2023, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> I have created a ticket. Unfortunately the information we have is not
> very specific, that makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem. If you
> notice the problem, plesae gather as much information as you can,
> especially the exact time, and let me know. I can add that to the
> ticket.

There must still be something wrong, because after logging into vim.org,
I only get the following error message
query failed IX3

I suppose some issue with the DB connection still?

Best,
Christian
--
Gemeinsame Erinnerungen sind manchmal die besten Friedensstifter.
-- Marcel Proust

Bram Moolenaar

Jun 7, 2023, 11:17:32 AM6/7/23

Christian wrote:

> On Di, 06 Jun 2023, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > I have created a ticket. Unfortunately the information we have is not
> > very specific, that makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem. If you
> > notice the problem, plesae gather as much information as you can,
> > especially the exact time, and let me know. I can add that to the
> > ticket.
>
> There must still be something wrong, because after logging into vim.org,
> I only get the following error message
> query failed IX3
>
> I suppose some issue with the DB connection still?

It looks like the problem comes and goes. I still have no clue why the error
appears.

--
You cannot have a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.

Martin Tournoij

Jun 8, 2023, 2:35:06 AM6/8/23
to vim_use
On Wednesday, 7 June 2023 at 17:17:32 UTC+2 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Christian wrote:

> On Di, 06 Jun 2023, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > I have created a ticket. Unfortunately the information we have is not
> > very specific, that makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem. If you
> > notice the problem, plesae gather as much information as you can,
> > especially the exact time, and let me know. I can add that to the
> > ticket.
>
> There must still be something wrong, because after logging into vim.org,
> I only get the following error message
> query failed IX3
>
> I suppose some issue with the DB connection still?

It looks like the problem comes and goes. I still have no clue why the error
appears.

This page fails right now with  https://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=6036

    script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

It's currently 05:50 UTC, been failing for the last 10 minutes or so.

Do you need any help with the issue Bram? I don't mind taking a look. You can email me at my regular address: martin@arp242,net (need to use alternative account as I'm not normally subscribed, and groups.google.com seems to be the easiest way to reply to this thread).

Owajigbanam Ogbuluijah

Jun 8, 2023, 6:36:18 AM6/8/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bram,

I've been following this thread for a while now. Is there a team handling the vim.org site? Maybe we can collect a few people interested enough to volunteer? I'm interested for one. That team could be responsible for ensuring issues like these are fixed, and the general updates of the site.

Let me know what you think.

Christian Brabandt

Jun 8, 2023, 9:32:47 AM6/8/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Do, 08 Jun 2023, Owajigbanam Ogbuluijah wrote:

> Hey Bram,
>
> I've been following this thread for a while now. Is there a team handling the
> vim.org site? Maybe we can collect a few people interested enough to volunteer?
> I'm interested for one. That team could be responsible for ensuring issues like
> these are fixed, and the general updates of the site.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I don't think there is much we can do. Even with access to the vim.org
host, we have no way to inspect logfiles and analyze this further. I
tried, but no permissions. It's up to the hoster to analyze/debug/fix
this unfortunately, which is osdn.net

Best,
Christian
--
Wer andern in den Hintern schlüpft, daran meist eine Hoffnung knüpft.

Bram Moolenaar

Jun 8, 2023, 11:46:11 AM6/8/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Owajigbanam Ogbuluijah

> I've been following this thread for a while now. Is there a team handling
> the vim.org site? Maybe we can collect a few people interested enough to
> volunteer? I'm interested for one. That team could be responsible for
> ensuring issues like these are fixed, and the general updates of the site.

The site is hosted by OSDN. In the past their support has been very
good. But I don't know what their situation is right now.

You can find information at https://osdn.net/
They are located in Japan.

The last week the problem would go away after a while, but it has now
been "broken" for more than a day.

--
In a world without fences, who needs Gates and Windows?