Fwd: Compiling vim 9.0 with gui

Efraim Yawitz

Sep 21, 2022, 5:48:52 AM9/21/22
to vim_use

Hi,

I have been trying to compile vim 9.0 with GUI enabled in CentOS 8. I have all the gtk-devel packages installed, and I am able to compile other gtk apps, but the vim build gives me a vim without GUI. I have tried configure --enable-gui=gtk but it doesn't help.

I do not remember any problem with previous versions.

Thank you,

Ephraim

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 21, 2022, 6:23:06 AM9/21/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Efraim Yawitz
After running configure, look in src/auto/config.log.
Search for "GTK". It should tell you what is missing.

--
Support your right to bare arms! Wear short sleeves!

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

Efraim Yawitz

Sep 21, 2022, 9:51:40 AM9/21/22
to vim_use
On Wed, 21 Sept 2022 at 13:22, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> I have been trying to compile vim 9.0 with GUI enabled in CentOS 8. I have
> all the gtk-devel packages installed, and I am able to compile other gtk
> apps, but the vim build gives me a vim without GUI. I have tried configure
> --enable-gui=gtk but it doesn't help.
>
> I do not remember any problem with previous versions.

After running configure, look in src/auto/config.log.
Search for "GTK".  It should tell you what is missing.

Thank you very much. I actually didn't find a reference to gtk but searching for gui turned up a failure to find Intrinsic.h

Here is the part of the configure script responsible:

$as_echo_n "checking if X11 header files can be found... " >&6; }
  cflags_save=$CFLAGS
  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $X_CFLAGS"
  cat confdefs.h - <<_ACEOF >conftest.$ac_ext
/* end confdefs.h.  */
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
int
main ()
{

  ;
  return 0;
}
_ACEOF

The whole problem was a result of the way I installed my development support on CentOS, which was by installing the gtk3-devel package with yum (dnf). This installed the X development packages necessary for gtk, but it didn't install the (obsolescent) libXt-devel package. Installing that allowed a gui compilation. Perhaps this check in the configure script needs to be updated.

Anyway, I now have a working GUI vim!

Thanks again!

Efraim Yawitz

Andrew Bernard

Sep 24, 2022, 8:19:31 PM9/24/22
to vim_use
Just saw this now. I see you have solved it, but out of interest this is what I did on Ubuntu:

./configure --enable-gnome-check --with-x --enable-gui

And yes I had to install libXtdvelopment package.

As an aside Centos 8 reached EOL in December last year - as I am sure you know.  May not be the best platform now? I am very pleased with Alma Linux as a replacement for Centos.