Version Control

Vedanth Srinivasan

May 17, 2019, 2:39:23 AM5/17/19
to v...@vim.org
Please tell me how to get Version Control/ Local History on a file in vim. I would like to take a look at the changes made to a file step by step.
Vedanth Srinivasan

Jürgen Krämer

May 17, 2019, 3:23:59 AM5/17/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Vedanth Srinivasan schrieb am 16.05.2019 um 02:30:
> Please tell me how to get Version Control/ Local History on a file in vim. I
> would like to take a look at the changes made to a file step by step.

if you only want to visualize the changes made inside Vim (not within a
version control system like git, mercurial or subversion) you might want
to take a look at the undotree plugin by Ming Bai. You can find it on the
Vim Scripts page at <http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4177>
or on github at <https://github.com/mbbill/undotree>. (The latter one is
recommend, because it's more current.)

For interacting with a git repository I (sometimes) use Tim Pope's fugitve
plugin, available from <https://github.com/tpope/vim-fugitive>, which
defines a lot of useful commands.

Regards,
Jürgen