ICCF?

Steve Mynott

Dec 31, 2023, 11:41:11 AM12/31/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
(Apologies if this is a double post. I sent to v...@vim.org 3 hours
ago, and I don't see it appearing on either Google Groups or
gmane.editors.vim, and I'm wondering if the gateway from vim.org is
broken)

I usually denote to ICCF about this time and just wanted to check the
status of this organisation following Bram's sad death.

Should I use the PayPal link at https://iccf-holland.org/index.html or
is this still being worked on?

Or is there a similar organisation I should use currently?

--
Steve Mynott <steve....@gmail.com>
rsa3072/629FBB91565E591955B5876A79CEFAA4450EBD50

Steve Mynott

Dec 31, 2023, 2:43:58 PM12/31/23
to v...@vim.org

Tony Mechelynck

Dec 31, 2023, 3:18:25 PM12/31/23
to Steve Mynott, vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 5:41 PM Steve Mynott <steve....@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Apologies if this is a double post. I sent to v...@vim.org 3 hours
> ago, and I don't see it appearing on either Google Groups or
> gmane.editors.vim, and I'm wondering if the gateway from vim.org is
> broken)

The gateway is not broken, but every new poster's first post needs to
be checked by a human list maintainer before it appears on the list.
This is no hazing, it is a security measure against spam. Once a given
author's post has been reviewed (which can take hours, and sometimes
even days), further posts by the same author will appear in a matter
of seconds or sometimes less, unless the list robot decides that one
of them definitely looks like spam, in which case it will be submitted
to the maintainers again.

> I usually denote to ICCF about this time and just wanted to check the
> status of this organisation following Bram's sad death.
>
> Should I use the PayPal link at https://iccf-holland.org/index.html or
> is this still being worked on?
>
> Or is there a similar organisation I should use currently?
>
> --
> Steve Mynott <steve....@gmail.com>

ICCF Holland was not just a one-man organization resting on Bram's
shoulders alone. All other people working for it have kept it up in
Bram's spirit. I was present at Bram's funeral myself, and there was
someone from ICCF there who pronounced an obituary, so it still
exists. AFAIK, any bank accounts and PayPal links used by it during
Bram's lifetime should still work identically after his death.

About Vim being worked on: several people who used to propose code
patches to Bram are still active, and Christian Brabandt is
centralizing all these patches and publishing them on github and on
Mercurial, the last one as of this writing dated 30 December 10:45, so
Bram's death definitely did not put a halt to Vim's development.

Best regards,
Tony.

Steve Mynott

Dec 31, 2023, 3:59:45 PM12/31/23
to Tony Mechelynck, vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 09:18:06PM +0100, Tony Mechelynck typed:

It sounds like it might be sensible to just replace references to @vim.org
by the direct @googlegroups.com address on https://www.vim.org/maillist.php

> > I usually denote to ICCF about this time and just wanted to check the
> > status of this organisation following Bram's sad death.
> >
> > Should I use the PayPal link at https://iccf-holland.org/index.html or
> > is this still being worked on?

> ICCF Holland was not just a one-man organization resting on Bram's
> shoulders alone. All other people working for it have kept it up in
> Bram's spirit. I was present at Bram's funeral myself, and there was
> someone from ICCF there who pronounced an obituary, so it still
> exists. AFAIK, any bank accounts and PayPal links used by it during
> Bram's lifetime should still work identically after his death.
>
> About Vim being worked on: several people who used to propose code
> patches to Bram are still active, and Christian Brabandt is
> centralizing all these patches and publishing them on github and on
> Mercurial, the last one as of this writing dated 30 December 10:45, so
> Bram's death definitely did not put a halt to Vim's development.

My question about "is this still being worked on" was just about ICCF and prompted by reading

https://iccf-holland.org/index.html

and the September 2023 section

"Presently, we are arranging various practical issues to continue the charity"

Anyway thanks for your response and it seems likely using the PayPal
link is still fine and I'll donate.

Happy New Year to All.

Steve