Copy and paste from status line

A. Wik

Dec 9, 2020, 10:21:48 AM12/9/20
to vim_use
Hi all,

In gVim (at least my version, which uses GTK), you can select text in
the status line, but how can you copy it? Or maybe you can't?

Cheers,
Albert.

Johannes Degen

Dec 10, 2020, 6:29:11 AM12/10/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Control-y in my Gvim (OpenBSD).

When in doubt become a philosopher.

Johannes Degen

Dec 10, 2020, 6:31:50 AM12/10/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
See :help c_CTRL-Y. It works anywhere I suspect, at least in the gui.

Tony Mechelynck

Dec 10, 2020, 8:06:58 AM12/10/20
to vim_use
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM Johannes Degen <jeeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> See :help c_CTRL-Y. It works anywhere I suspect, at least in the gui.
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Johannes Degen <jeeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Control-y in my Gvim (OpenBSD).
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 4:21 PM A. Wik <awi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In gVim (at least my version, which uses GTK), you can select text in
>>> the status line, but how can you copy it? Or maybe you can't?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Albert.

Yes, the |modeless-selection| is the only way to select text not
wholly inside one split-window (e.g. including status line(s) and/or
the command-line). This is possible in gvim; in some terminals the
terminal will preempt mouse drags and not pass them to Vim: if your
terminal is of that kind you will have to either copy the selection
the way it is done in that particular terminal, or else switch to
gvim, where Ctrl+Y copies the modeless selection (if there is one) to
the clipboard.

Best regards,
Tony.

A. Wik