Making a tarball

Eric Weir

Mar 16, 2020, 10:35:13 AM3/16/20
to vim_use

Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.

Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

Tony Mechelynck

Mar 16, 2020, 11:46:54 AM3/16/20
to vim_use
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:35 PM Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.
>
> Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Weir
> Decatur, GA USA
> eew...@bellsouth.net

For particular packages: type from within Vim
:help pi_vimball.txt

To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
man tar

Bezst regards,
Tony.

aro...@vex.net

Mar 16, 2020, 1:59:12 PM3/16/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
> man tar

Just to amplify that a bit, with $ representing the shell prompt:

to create a tarball:
$ tar -cvzf name_of_archive_to_create directory_to_send

That will show you the files in "directory_to_send" being wrapped up. If
it's only one file at a time, just give the filename. Use a relative path,
not an absolute one, so you can restore anywhere you want.

To unpack, cd into the directory you want to use, and execute
$ tar -xzvf name_of_archive_to create

If you don't want to see all the filenames, omit the "v" option. The "f"
option must be the last thing before the filename.

HTH.

Eric Weir

Mar 17, 2020, 2:19:06 PM3/17/20
to vim_use

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 11:46 AM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:35 PM Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>

>> Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.
>>
>> Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.
>
> For particular packages: type from within Vim
> :help pi_vimball.txt
>
> To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
> man tar

Thanks, Tony.

iOS does not natively provide a terminal or shell—I had to do a web search for the differences, if any, between them; still not sure I understand; pretty sure it’s not important; for me, that is. Additional web searching informs me that there are iOS apps that make it possible. This one provides a decently robust Unix emulation. <https://osxdaily.com/2018/12/11/ish-linux-shell-ios/>

As I’ve been away from Vim for a good while, and even longer from Unix, there is another app, iZip, that might be an easier solution for me. <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/izip-zip-unzip-unrar-tool/id413971331>

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

“Look deep into nature, you will understand everything better.”

- Albert Einstein

Eric Weir

Mar 17, 2020, 2:25:12 PM3/17/20
to vim_use
Thanks.

Per my response to Tony, iOS does not provide a shell natively. There are apps, e.g., iSH, that will do so. And one, i.e., iZip, that may provide an even simpler solution, at least for one whose be away from Vim and Unix for a while.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net