Smooth scrolling in gvim

Edward Ned Harvey (vim)

Sep 22, 2019, 8:24:57 AM9/22/19
to v...@vim.org

Hi, I’m a long-time gvim user on mac, windows, and linux. For a long time, macs have had smooth scrolling, accurate down to the pixel (not confined to snapping position by line), but now the latest windows 10 also has smooth scrolling, with two-finger swipe gesture, and because gvim jumps by whole lines, it’s difficult to see, and it scrolls far too fast. I’ve been forced to start using VSCode with Vim plugin, because it supports smooth scrolling. VSCode with vim plugin is pretty good, but it’s not a full implementation of vim, so it’ not as good as real gvim (if only there were smooth scrolling).

Is it possible, or difficult, to add smooth scrolling to gvim?

Thanks…

Tony Mechelynck

Sep 22, 2019, 8:39:00 AM9/22/19
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
My guess (but it's no more than, well, call it an "educated guess") is
that it would be possible but not obvious, and probably low-priority.
I suggest adding this (if not already present) to the TODO list, so
that anyone interested and capable may try his/her hand at
implementing it. Edward Ned, if _you_ want to delve into the Vim
codebase and try to find out what to change, by all means go ahead:
Vim is open-source, and its codebase is nowhere as bulky as that of,
let's say, Firefox. ;-)

Best regards,
Tony.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gianmaria Bajo

Sep 23, 2019, 1:02:40 PM9/23/19
to vim_use
There are several plugins that try to implement smooth scroll in one way or another, just search 'vim smooth scroll' on google.
I made my own and I use that.

Christian Brabandt

Sep 23, 2019, 1:12:12 PM9/23/19
to v...@vim.org

On Sa, 21 Sep 2019, 'Edward Ned Harvey (vim)' via vim_use wrote:

> Hi, I'm a long-time gvim user on mac, windows, and linux. For a long time, macs have had smooth scrolling, accurate down to the pixel (not confined to snapping position by line), but now the latest windows 10 also has smooth scrolling, with two-finger swipe gesture, and because gvim jumps by whole lines, it's difficult to see, and it scrolls far too fast. I've been forced to start using VSCode with Vim plugin, because it supports smooth scrolling. VSCode with vim plugin is pretty good, but it's not a full implementation of vim, so it' not as good as real gvim (if only there were smooth scrolling).
>
> Is it possible, or difficult, to add smooth scrolling to gvim?

It is almost impossible, because in the current state, vim does not
allow to scroll by screen lines, but only by physical lines. This is
actually one of my personal most annoying issues with Vim but I never
had actually time to properly implement it.

Having said that, I noticed Neovim has an open PR for this feature
https://github.com/neovim/neovim/pull/11014 so perhaps that is something
to have a look at.

Best,
Christian