Vim after Bram?

Philip Rhoades

Sep 17, 2023, 10:47:57 PM9/17/23
to vim_use
People,

I have been using Vim for so many decades that I sort of felt that Bram
would always be there developing and improving the program - and while I
have asked plenty of questions on the lists etc, I never really delved
into how many other people contributed to the coding - approx how many
would there be? for addons?

Are there any proposals among the main developers about how the project
will continue? How they will work together? Is there an obvious
front-runner to be the "benevolent dictator"?

I can't see myself ever NOT using Vim, but it would be nice to know the
project was in good hands and had a strong future . .

I started learning C in the 80s - am I of any use for the cause now?

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: ph...@pricom.com.au

wenxin Wang

Sep 18, 2023, 2:31:31 AM9/18/23
to "'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use"
It's really good to know that there are lots of people care about vim's
future. I really admire your enthusiasm about developing Vim. When the
time come, I would like to contribute to developing Vim.
Regards,
Vito.

Francis Grizzly Smit

Sep 18, 2023, 2:46:40 AM9/18/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 18/9/23 12:47, 'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use wrote:
People,

I have been using Vim for so many decades that I sort of felt that Bram would always be there developing and improving the program - and while I have asked plenty of questions on the lists etc, I never really delved into how many other people contributed to the coding - approx how many would there be? for addons?

Are there any proposals among the main developers about how the project will continue?  How they will work together?  Is there an obvious front-runner to be the "benevolent dictator"?

I can't see myself ever NOT using Vim, but it would be nice to know the project was in good hands and had a strong future . .

I started learning C in the 80s - am I of any use for the cause now?

Regards,

Phil.
Like you I would like to always use Vim, but it is still being developed and seams to have a lead developer or two, so I am confident that all will be well in this post Bram world. There is still lots of activity on the developer list
--
   .~.     There are many things that I love....
   /V\         but God Comes way above all else❣❣❣❣

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Sep 18, 2023, 10:27:12 AM9/18/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 7:47 PM 'Philip Rhoades' via vim_use
<vim...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> People,
>
> I have been using Vim for so many decades that I sort of felt that Bram
> would always be there developing and improving the program - and while I
> have asked plenty of questions on the lists etc, I never really delved
> into how many other people contributed to the coding - approx how many
> would there be? for addons?
>
> Are there any proposals among the main developers about how the project
> will continue? How they will work together? Is there an obvious
> front-runner to be the "benevolent dictator"?

Thanks for reaching out. Vim is being developed actively. You can subscribe
to the vim-dev mailing list. Also see
https://github.com/vim/vim/discussions/13087.

Regards,
Yegappan

Owajigbanam Ogbuluijah

Sep 19, 2023, 6:25:46 AM9/19/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Vim is still actively being developed. I see more frequent Homebrew updates now.

If you want to get involved, github.com/vim/vim is a good place to start.

Salman Halim

Sep 19, 2023, 8:45:53 AM9/19/23
to Vim Users
I might be mistaken, but I haven't seen any patches lately (I look at the list of patches on the FTP site readme). Is there another mechanism by which changes are being incorporated?

Thank you,

Salman

Christian Brabandt

Sep 19, 2023, 8:59:12 AM9/19/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Di, 19 Sep 2023, Salman Halim wrote:

> I might be mistaken, but I haven't seen any patches lately (I look at
> the list of patches on the FTP site readme). Is there another
> mechanism by which changes are being incorporated?

The FTP Server is retired. you can check the github Commits page for the
latest versions.

Best,
Christian
--
Endless the world's turn, endless the sun's spinning
Endless the quest;

Sebastian Gödecke

Sep 21, 2023, 8:30:57 AM9/21/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
and vim.org -> scripts? The mysql server seems down ...
Does anyone has access to this system?

Regards Sebastian

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Sebastian Gödecke

Christian Brabandt

Sep 21, 2023, 8:51:03 AM9/21/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Do, 21 Sep 2023, 'Sebastian Gödecke' via vim_use wrote:

> and vim.org -> scripts? The mysql server seems down ...
> Does anyone has access to this system?

Yes, working on it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

https://groups.google.com/g/vim_announce/c/itcFF4DNj4A/m/xRWhNM7UDQAJ

Best,
Christian
--