How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Bram Moolenaar

Jan 24, 2020, 3:22:19 PM1/24/20
to vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, Sergey Khorev, Brent Fulgham

Over time many features have been added to Vim.
Currently I'm looking into making Vim script faster, which will
eventually lead to Vim9 script (faster, better, etc.).

Besides adding more, we should also consider dropping functionality that
hardly anyone uses. I'm careful with that, I like to support even a
small group of users. That is why I'm asking here.

Vim provides optional built-in interfaces for several languages. Out of
these Python is clearly the most popular. It looks like the MzScheme
interface is the least popular. It doesn't even build on most systems
and requires compiling racket from source. The code itself has not had
changes, other than refactorings, for two years.

Note that I'm not talking about editing Scheme or Racket code with Vim,
that will still be possible. It's about the :mzscheme and :mzfile
commands.

So, who would complain if we drop the MzScheme interface?
Please reply to the vim-use and/or vim-dev maillist.

--
"You're fired." (1980)
"You're laid off." (1985)

王子陌

Jan 25, 2020, 2:45:57 AM1/25/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I won't complain for I‘m a clumsy user and won't use it

John Mon

Jan 25, 2020, 7:09:34 PM1/25/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
What the h*** is vim?

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 25, 2020, 7:23:09 PM1/25/20
to vim_use
On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 1:09 AM John Mon <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What the h*** is vim?

Vim is a text editor (I think it is the best one, but that is opinion,
not fact) and this mailing list or Google group is its support site.
You've been subscribed to it since 15 August 2019.

If you aren't interested in it anymore, go to
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!myforums (you may have to log in to
Google if you aren't already) then find the "vim_use" group and use
the two widgets at far right of that line: either turn the rolldown
widget to some different setting if you prefer the messages to be sent
in summary blocks, or not sent to you at all, while still being able
to post; or else click "Leave the group" if you don't even want to be
able to post to this group anymore.

Best regards,
Tony.

Bram Moolenaar

Jan 26, 2020, 12:57:44 PM1/26/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, tux., vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org

> >So, who would complain if we drop the MzScheme interface?
> >Please reply to the vim-use and/or vim-dev maillist.
>
> I would. It is the only interface I use myself.

OK, that is good to know. Is this with scripts you only write for
yourself, or something you publish?

--
For humans, honesty is a matter of degree. Engineers are always honest in
matters of technology and human relationships. That's why it's a good idea

John Mon

Jan 27, 2020, 8:58:28 AM1/27/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tony you mean like notepad in W10?

Christian Brabandt

Jan 27, 2020, 9:02:29 AM1/27/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, v...@vim.org

On So, 26 Jan 2020, tux. wrote:

> I rarely publish my scripts for anything - the only script which made
> it to Vim's scripts repository is Logpad.vim which was in VimL. 😃
> It's only my personal preference, honestly.

May I ask, what the reason is for using the mzscheme interface instead
of any of the others (or VimScript)? Is it just personal preference?

Best,
Christian
--
Sprich leise und höflich, aber trage stets einen dicken Knüppel bei
dir.

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 28, 2020, 11:49:22 AM1/28/20
to vim_use
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM John Mon <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Tony you mean like notepad in W10?

IMHO, Vim is to Notepad what a Rolls-Royce is to a bicycle (except on
the matter of price). But that's just my own opinion, after I've veen
using Notepad, then Vim, for a number of years.

Best regards,
Tony.

John Mon

Jan 29, 2020, 12:01:38 AM1/29/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 29, 2020, 1:57:22 AM1/29/20
to vim_use
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 6:01 AM John Mon <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

Have you ever wondered how text gets written? Or how program bugs get
fixed? Well, here's your answer.

Best regards,
Tony.

Jesus Arocho

Jan 29, 2020, 7:56:06 AM1/29/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question: "why would anyone need to alter text"

Christian Brabandt

Jan 29, 2020, 7:57:24 AM1/29/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mi, 29 Jan 2020, Jesus Arocho wrote:

> I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question:
> "why would anyone need to alter text"

I have actually been wondering, if he has been trolling successfully.

Best,
Christian
--
10E12 Mikrophone = 1 Megaphon
10E-6 Fisch = 1 Mikrofiche

Salman Halim

Jan 29, 2020, 11:31:24 AM1/29/20
to Vim Users
That's what I was thinking, but Tony has been indulging the inquiries pretty well.

--

Salman

Jesus Arocho

Jan 29, 2020, 12:23:38 PM1/29/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Probably so.

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 29, 2020, 3:19:33 PM1/29/20
to vim_use
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 1:56 PM Jesus Arocho <un.yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question: "why would anyone need to alter text"

Could be trolling; that user started a side-thread with a post "What
the f*** is Vim?" and I decided to answer "seriously and friendly",
giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm still wondering whether or
not I've been unduly "feeding the animals". In some other mailing
lists he might have been the object of bad language and/or insults but
I decided to uphold the Vim lists' reputation of friendliness — on
hindsight, maybe in this case it was above and beyond the call of duty
but I still think I did "the right thing".

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM John Mon <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

>>> IMHO, Vim is to Notepad what a Rolls-Royce is to a bicycle (except on
>>> the matter of price). But that's just my own opinion, after I've veen
>>> using Notepad, then Vim, for a number of years.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.

Best regards,
Tony.

Boyko Bantchev

Jan 29, 2020, 4:06:03 PM1/29/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 22:19, Tony Mechelynck
<antoine.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could be trolling; that user started a side-thread with a post "What
> the f*** is Vim?" and I decided to answer "seriously and friendly",
> giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm still wondering whether or
> not I've been unduly "feeding the animals". In some other mailing
> lists he might have been the object of bad language and/or insults but
> I decided to uphold the Vim lists' reputation of friendliness — on
> hindsight, maybe in this case it was above and beyond the call of duty
> but I still think I did "the right thing".

Tony, I admire the way you have dealt with the situation. Being
cool-headed and polite is always a winning policy and a good thing,
and has nothing to do with feeding a troll, if there is one.

John Mon

Jan 29, 2020, 5:55:22 PM1/29/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Jesus! I meant what do people use Vim or notepad for?

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 29, 2020, 7:07:14 PM1/29/20
to vim_use
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:55 PM John Mon <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry Jesus! I meant what do people use Vim or notepad for?

And the answer was: to write text, including but not limited to
program code, and to modify it after it has been written, e.g. by
correcting spelling errors in plaintext or fixing bugs in program
code. Even web pages are "text" (their MIME type is "text/html") and
though there exist WISIWYG (i.e. "what-you-see-is-what-you-get")
editors for them, some webpage writers, including me, prefer writing
HTML in a plaintext editor such as Vim or even Notepad because this
way we have full control over exactly what the webpage would display
(in a well-behaved browser).

Best regards,
Tony.

Jesus Arocho

Jan 30, 2020, 7:37:20 AM1/30/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
If you have those kinds of questions, I still wonder how you came to be on this list, but regardless here are my thoughts.  Notepad is a fairly simple text editor designed to work only within the Windows environment.  I used it no occasion for either editing simple text files or capturing simple notes (the company I worked for was all Windows based, with the exception of servers.  Vim is used mostly by programmers to edit source files.  It is much more capable than Notepad in its functionality to edit within a file as well as the management of multiple files.  It can be used also for other purposes such as note taking, journaling, etc., but always with text files.

Hope this helps and I log off this thread.

Gabriele Fava

Jan 30, 2020, 11:26:00 AM1/30/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
So you were really not just playing along?
You guys need to add a troll detector to your vimrc (I think Emacs has
one built-in)

Dominique Pellé

Jan 30, 2020, 12:05:48 PM1/30/20
to Vim List
The discussion about the troll as derailed this thread which
was originally about the MzScheme interface. Let's only
reply to discuss the MzScheme interface from now on.

MzScheme vim interface does not look like it's used a lot.
So far, Ionly tux. (ze...@tuxproject.de) has said that he
uses the MzScheme interface, and for personal scripts only.

Perhaps the original author of the mzscheme interface
i.e Brent Fulgham or Sergey Khorev who added dynamic
binding according to :help if_mzsch.txt use the mzscheme interface?

Regards
Dominique

John Mon

Jan 30, 2020, 7:09:15 PM1/30/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Please let me apologize to Dominque and Gabriele for wasting the group's time. I somehow got signed up to this list and sorry I didn't mean alter text I meant edit text.I'm not a troll! Let me thank Tony and Jesus for their answers and sorry for wasting the group's time!

aro...@vex.net

Jan 31, 2020, 3:36:10 AM1/31/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> On Mi, 29 Jan 2020, Jesus Arocho wrote:
>
>> I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the
>> question: "why would anyone need to alter text"

From the point of view of a programmer, system administrator, or even a
user entering data, this does sound as strange as "why would anyone need
to breathe?"

aro...@vex.net

Jan 31, 2020, 4:05:13 AM1/31/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> Sorry Jesus! I meant what do people use Vim or notepad for?

We might find it easier to understand if you explain how you use
computers, and for what? What programs do you use as tools?

rob

Feb 2, 2020, 8:00:49 PM2/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I'm wondering if this is a person at all.  I suspect some one or group is testing their AI bot.

The question is just too bizarre for an actual human to be asking.

--rob solomon

John Mon

Feb 3, 2020, 8:12:03 PM2/3/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
So sorry Rocker! I meant EDIT Text!

John Mon

Feb 3, 2020, 8:13:56 PM2/3/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I know how to breathe since birth, I can't edit text!

Eric Christopherson

Feb 3, 2020, 9:56:37 PM2/3/20
to vim_use
On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 7:00 PM rob <drro...@fastmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering if this is a person at all.  I suspect some one or group is testing their AI bot.

The question is just too bizarre for an actual human to be asking.

--rob solomon

I know I found "John Mon"'s email address on Scribd in a supposed dump of email addresses and passwords, so I wouldn't be surprised.

John, if you're listening: Change your password.

--
        Eric Christopherson

John Mon

Feb 3, 2020, 11:28:23 PM2/3/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

aro...@vex.net

Feb 6, 2020, 2:31:08 PM2/6/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> I know how to breathe since birth, I can't edit text!

Which invites the question "What do you use computers f0r?"

Even mail requires entering text. Programs and configuration files are all
text, rarely correct when first entered, and almost certainly need to be
changed from time to time.

Антон Голубев

Jan 15, 2023, 3:52:13 PM1/15/23
to vim_use

Please don't, I also use this.

mz works even in the most recent releases of vim, though I haven't updated racket for a long time.
пятница, 24 января 2020 г. в 23:22:19 UTC+3, Bram Moolenaar: