Vin crashes with "Caught deadly signal ABRT" unless launched without .vimrc

Ottavio Caruso

Jul 11, 2019, 11:54:42 PM7/11/19
to v...@vim.org
Hi all,

I'd like to have the opinion of this list before reporting this issue
as a bug on github.

I have compiled and installed Vim using pkgsrc on my Linux Mint Debian Edition.
I've already reported the issue on the pkgsrc-users list and it has
been suggested that I report the issue upstream.

The build has run fine, but, and this seems to be a common failure,
when Vim is launched, it crashes like this:

$vim
Vim: Caught deadly signal
Vim: Finished.

Full vim --version here:
http://paste.debian.net/hidden/ded7a246/

Full build log here:
http://paste.debian.net/hidden/5ebf5480/

I've made a gdb capture here:
http://paste.debian.net/hidden/4ca4bed2/

Temporary workarounds:

1) `vim -u NONE` # works, but without modules

2) recompiling with the option: "CFLAGS=-g INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=yes" #
produces a binary without crashes.

Any input will be appreciated.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Bram Moolenaar

Jul 12, 2019, 9:37:42 AM7/12/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com, v...@vim.org
It looks like you run into the false-positive fortify check.
Although the build log mentiones -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 it behaves like a
higher fortify level was used.

--
FATHER: You only killed the bride's father - that's all -
LAUNCELOT: Oh dear, I didn't really mean to...

Ottavio Caruso

Jul 13, 2019, 2:22:26 PM7/13/19
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 14:37, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> It looks like you run into the false-positive fortify check.
> Although the build log mentiones -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 it behaves like a
> higher fortify level was used.

Thanks for your input Bram. I wanted to make a couple of checks before
getting back you.

In pkgsrc, as default we have:

PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY?= strong

As explained here:
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/mk/defaults/mk.conf

PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY?= strong
# Turns on substitute wrappers for commonly used functions that do not bounds
# checking regularly, but could in some cases. This is effectively in use only
# when both enabled and supported.
# Possible values:
# no: Do not pass any flags for FORTIFY
# weak: Pass -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
# strong: Pass -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
# Default: strong

I have rebuilt with PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY?=weak

and this seems to produce an installation that doesn't crash.

I've passed this information to pkgsrc-users and the editors/vim
package maintainer.

Thanks for you assistance.

--
Ottavio Caruso