writing documents in plain TeX, using vim

tu...@posteo.de

Aug 31, 2020, 12:37:22 AM8/31/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

to write documents in plain TeX (no LaTeX) with vim I am looking forward for
plugins and helpers to do so.

I searched the web and found quite a few - but they all supports LaTeX
and to my knowledge don't support plain TeX.

I don't want to "escape out of LaTex" - that is (if possible) write a
LaTeX wrapper and "jail break" from there to use plain TeX.

What plugin/environment is recommended here?

I am using TeXlive on GENTOO Linux.

Cheers!
mcc

Marc Chantreux

Aug 31, 2020, 6:40:33 AM8/31/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
hello,

> to write documents in plain TeX (no LaTeX) with vim I am looking forward for
> plugins and helpers to do so.

vim comes with those files setting

* syntax highlighting
* format-comments
* [d
* matchit

/usr/share/vim/vim81/syntax/plaintex.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim81/ftplugin/plaintex.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim81/ftplugin/initex.vim

there is also a compiler and an indent file for tex
that can probably be used (at least as source of inspiration).

i would probably start from this and create my own ftplugin/tex.vim
with things like

set aw mp=pdftex\ %
inoremap $$ $$<esc>i

regards,
marc

BPJ

Aug 31, 2020, 10:47:48 AM8/31/20
to vim_use
One thing you might do if you also use/view LaTeX is to set things up so that *.tex files use Vim's bundled plaintex filetype while *.ltx files use the LaTeX filetype. The latter is the case by default I think.