print vim syntax highlighted text to stdout using ansi color

Peng Yu

May 12, 2012, 12:21:33 PM5/12/12
to vim_use
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to print the syntax highlighted text
to stdout using ansi color. I was told the following trick to print
the output to an html file. But I'd prefer the output to stdout.

vim +'syn on | run! syntax/2html.vim | wq | q' foo.pl

Regards,
Peng

Magnus Woldrich

May 12, 2012, 7:47:29 PM5/12/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On May 12, Peng Yu (Peng Yu) wrote:
>I'm wondering if there is a way to print the syntax highlighted text
>to stdout using ansi color. I was told the following trick to print
>the output to an html file. But I'd prefer the output to stdout.

Yes, but let us do better than that and use all the available colors and text
attributes, making the output to stdout identical to what you see in your vim
session.

I have this [0] aliased to cat, and when I don't want the highlighting, I just
do a \cat file or =cat file instead.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
http://devel.japh.se/vim-cat/vim_cat.png

[0]: https://github.com/trapd00r/utils/blob/master/v

--
Magnus Woldrich
m...@japh.se, wold...@cpan.org

Peng Yu

May 12, 2012, 11:11:07 PM5/12/12
to vim_use

On May 12, 6:47 pm, Magnus Woldrich <m...@japh.se> wrote:
> On May 12, Peng Yu (Peng Yu) wrote:
>
> >I'm wondering if there is a way to print the syntax highlighted text
> >to stdout using ansi color. I was told the following trick to print
> >the output to an html file. But I'd prefer the output to stdout.
>
> Yes, but let us do better than that and use all the available colors and text
> attributes, making the output to stdout identical to what you see in your vim
> session.
>
> I have this [0] aliased to cat, and when I don't want the highlighting, I just
> do a \cat file or =cat file instead.
>
> Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:http://devel.japh.se/vim-cat/vim_cat.png
>
> [0]:https://github.com/trapd00r/utils/blob/master/v

Would please show me how to use it? The figure is not very clear to
me.

I tried the following. But nothing happens.

~/dvcs_src/utils$ ./v v

Regards,
Peng

Peng Yu

Jun 30, 2012, 8:07:51 AM6/30/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Dave <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, I've wanted this for a long time... I copied your script, and called it ccat, but get this (hope the attachment works)

How it works? In my previous email, I showed that I couldn't get it
work. Would you please show me which command you copied and what is
the command line? Thanks!

Peng

Alick Zhao

Jul 1, 2012, 1:09:43 AM7/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Did you check the content of ./v? Is it the same with
the online version? Did you chmod the script to add the execution bit?

I just tried the latest version and it works for me.
Just note that it has been renamed to `_v`.

HTH

--
alick
Fedora 16 (Verne) user

Peng Yu

Jul 1, 2012, 11:09:22 AM7/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> Did you check the content of ./v? Is it the same with
> the online version? Did you chmod the script to add the execution bit?
>
> I just tried the latest version and it works for me.
> Just note that it has been renamed to `_v`.

Obviously, I did what you have mentioned.

~/dvcs_src/utils$ ./_v _v ; echo xxx
xxx

I also tired to use the script by vim directly.
~/dvcs_src/utils$ vim -e -X -R "_v" -c "source _v" -c "visual" -c
"bufdo call AnsiHighlight()" -c qa

All I got was a flash of the screen (with non content) and then exit.
So I guess may be related with my vim setup. Could anybody try the
above command and let me know what you get? Thanks!

My OS is Mac OS X snow leopard.

~/dvcs_src/utils$ vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun 18 2012 01:05:44)
MacOS X (unix) version
Included patches: 1-244, 246-556
Compiled by ro...@peng-yus-macbook-pro.local
Normal version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
-arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
-clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
-conceal +cryptv -cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs
-dnd -ebcdic -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path
+find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
+insert_expand +jumplist -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
+listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape
-mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse
+mouse_xterm -mouse_urxvt +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg
+path_extra -perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer -profile +python
-python3 +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
-sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
+tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
-toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
+vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
-xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
system vimrc file: "/opt/local/etc/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
fall-back for $VIM: "/opt/local/share/vim"
Compilation: /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I/opt/local/include -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -pipe -O2 -arch
x86_64 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64
-L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lm -lncurses -liconv -lintl -framework
Cocoa -L/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/config
-lpython2.7 -framework CoreFoundation -u _PyMac_Error
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Python

Peng

Magnus Woldrich

Jul 1, 2012, 12:14:55 PM7/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
>MacOS X (unix) version
>Compiled by ro...@peng-yus-macbook-pro.local

I'm sorry but the only thing I know about terminals in macos is that
they doesn't work.

Can you try it in something that is not terminal.app or iterm? Something
like an xterm.

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun 29 2012 19:25:34)
Included patches: 1-353
Compiled by wolly - Fri Jun 29 19:25:31 CEST 2012
Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
[...]
+user_commands_lowercase +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra
+viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11
+xfontset -xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "~/etc/vim/vimrc"
2nd user vimrc file: "$VIMRUNTIME/vimrc"
3rd user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"

stracing what's happening can be an idea, and maybe the -D flag for vim
can be useful.
Have you asked about your issue in the #vim channel on freenode?
There's a lot of mac{,vim} users, so someone might have an idea.

--
Magnus Woldrich
m...@japh.se, wold...@cpan.org

Peng Yu

Jul 1, 2012, 5:36:08 PM7/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Magnus Woldrich <m...@japh.se> wrote:
>> MacOS X (unix) version
>> Compiled by ro...@peng-yus-macbook-pro.local
>

> I'm sorry but the only thing I know about terminals in macos is that
> they doesn't work.
>
> Can you try it in something that is not terminal.app or iterm? Something
> like an xterm.

_v with xterm doesn't work on my mac. But _v does work on my linux machine.

I'm trying to understand _v better. Why fd 9 is used? Is it special to vim?

exec 9<>"$tmpfile"

It seems the vim command in _v writes to fd 9.

When I try the following command, it indeed write the content of _v
along with the ansi color code to output.txt

/usr/bin/vim -e -X -R "_v" -c "source _v" -c "visual" -c "bufdo call
AnsiHighlight()" -c qa 2>/dev/null 9>output.txt

But the above code does not work on Mac. I tried with a number of file
descriptors. But none of them work. So it seems the problem is to find
a fd that works on Mac.

Note that this seem to be related to my recent question.

http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/5797aa7de679930

Peng

Darrin Gorski

May 1, 2019, 12:11:25 PM5/1/19
to vim_use

> I just tried the latest version and it works for me.
> Just note that it has been renamed to `_v`.

He means the github filename changed from "v" to "_v":

[0] https://github.com/trapd00r/utils/blob/master/_v

Peng Yu

Nov 12, 2019, 2:47:54 AM11/12/19
to vim_use
Hi,

I see these. But they are quite old and the first one seems to have
some problems.

https://github.com/vim-scripts/XQuery-indentomnicompleteftplugin/blob/master/ftplugin/xquery.vim
http://jmvanel.free.fr/vim/xquery.vim

Does anybody know where is the latest xquey syntax highlight and
indentation file? Thanks.

Peng