Why must I be the owner of a file I’m editing in order for persistent undo to work?

DwigtArmyOfChampions

Jan 19, 2020, 11:11:32 AM1/19/20
to vim_use
I’m using Vim 7.4. I can’t see my old changes on a file because I’m not the owner of the file. Why does this requirement exist and there a way to work around it?

meine

Jan 25, 2020, 6:54:13 AM1/25/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 08:11:32AM -0800, DwigtArmyOfChampions wrote:
> I???m using Vim 7.4. I can???t see my old changes on a file because I???m not the owner of the file. Why does this requirement exist and there a way to work around it?

in Vim, the persistent undo and with it all changes to a file are
personal setting. the information is AFAIK not stored in the file
itself. when the ownership of the file changed from you to someone else,
the meta information of that file probably changed as well.

did you try to make you owner of the file, if that resolves the issue? I
don't know if this can be done in Vim, but any file manager will make it
possible.

//meine