Vim saves file with lowercase filename

Ni Va

Apr 1, 2020, 7:40:07 AM4/1/20
to vim_use
Hi,

My GVim 8.2.488 32bits under Windows 10 is saving file with filenames in lowercase.

Redirecting a buffer of mapping and others plugins, I don't see why it does that.

Thank you for help
NiVa

Ni Va

Apr 1, 2020, 7:48:50 AM4/1/20
to vim_use
fileencoding and encoding are set to utf-8

Tony Mechelynck

Apr 1, 2020, 8:05:32 AM4/1/20
to vim_use
IIRC, on Windows (unlike on Unix) filenames are caseless:
FILENAME.TXT, filename.txt, FiLeNaMe.TxT etc., if they are in the same
directory, all are one and the same file. (On Unix they would be three
different files.) I think Windows "normalizes" the case, at least in
some cases. Which Windows version? There may or may not be an option
for that in your Windows system settings.

Best regards,
Tony.

Ni Va

Apr 1, 2020, 9:50:52 AM4/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your answer.

I know it is the same but, for human readable reason, I want to keep camelCase notation fileName I had before saving this file with Vim.

It is not OS windows 64 bits enterprise last update that is in cause, but really Vim because when I save the same file with notepad++, this does not modify the camelCase notation of filename.

So it is certainly an option, not of the OS but of Vim. I see that filencoding talked about lowercase depending on which encoding you choose.. but not really got fix for this problem for instant.

Best regards
NiVa

Christian Brabandt

Apr 1, 2020, 10:34:13 AM4/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mi, 01 Apr 2020, Ni Va wrote:

> I know it is the same but, for human readable reason, I want to keep camelCase notation fileName I had before saving this file with Vim.
>
> It is not OS windows 64 bits enterprise last update that is in cause, but really Vim because when I save the same file with notepad++, this does not modify the camelCase notation of filename.
>
> So it is certainly an option, not of the OS but of Vim. I see that filencoding talked about lowercase depending on which encoding you choose.. but not really got fix for this problem for instant.

I cannot reproduce this. Please provide a reproducible example starting
from vim --clean and mention what filesystem you save on. Best is to
start in an empty directory.

Best,
Christian
--
Alkohol ist nicht die Antwort. Hilft aber, die Frage nicht so ernst
zu nehmen.

Ni Va

Apr 1, 2020, 11:14:41 AM4/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for inconvenience I cannot reproduce yet with -clean.
It's a plugin of mine. Sorry.

Ni Va

Apr 1, 2020, 11:24:07 AM4/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
it is fixed.

Christian can you help me on the other recent post on autocommand CursorMoved please ?

Thank you for all.
NiVa

Richard Mitchell

Apr 1, 2020, 12:03:47 PM4/1/20
to vim_use
As in a plugin you wrote or one you are using?

If the latter, you could mention its name for others to be aware of.

(just so when someone comes along later googling this same problem, they'll know the resolution)

Ni Va

Apr 1, 2020, 1:43:32 PM4/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
It's mine. Explorer dir/files in ruby that did downcase on explored path..

Sorry for inconvenience.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/774361cd-d562-4748-abb4-a3cd66fc959e%40googlegroups.com.

Christian Brabandt

Apr 2, 2020, 2:57:55 AM4/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mi, 01 Apr 2020, Ni Va wrote:

> Christian can you help me on the other recent post on autocommand CursorMoved please ?

I just left some hints on your message.

Best,
Christian
--
Was bin ich denn gegen das All?
-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Wanderjahre)

Ni Va

Apr 2, 2020, 5:21:39 AM4/2/20
to vim_use
Thank you!