Fwd: How to update GVim_8.2.2332_x64 to a more current patch level?

Mike O'Brien

Jan 20, 2021, 2:06:25 AM1/20/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com

My first post: I'm guessing this was misdirected (v...@vim.org) initially . . .

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: How to update GVim_8.2.2332_x64 to a more current patch level?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:54:49 -0500
From: Mike O'Brien <jmo...@gmail.com>
To: v...@vim.org

Relative newbie here with a simple question—probably.

Having successfully installed (on Win 8.1x64 Pro), what is the procedure for updating to a later patch level?

I assumed it would be to download/execute the desired package; e.g. gvim_8.2.2374_x64_signed.exe . . .

That is not working for me: trashes/locks-up the existing %HOMEDRIVE% \Program Files\Vim\vim82 directory!? A Restart clears the lock-up (of course) and deletes the ..\vim82 sub-directory. I can install like new again using the downloaded package—and all is well.

I figured out that I could, alternatively, download  and extract the .zip package—replacing the ..\vim82 sub-directory with cut&paste—and all is well as well !-|

I also figure 'this ain't right: I've got a problem; think I better ask'.

Any help appreciated. TIA.

Mike O'B.

--
Mater mea, et are Hibernica Pater...et Ego Hibernica quoque!and all is well

Mike O'Brien

Jan 20, 2021, 4:14:49 PM1/20/21
to v...@vim.org

Christian Brabandt

Jan 20, 2021, 4:22:13 PM1/20/21
to v...@vim.org

On Di, 19 Jan 2021, Mike O'Brien wrote:

> Relative newbie here with a simple question—probably.
>
> Having successfully installed (on Win 8.1x64 Pro), what is the procedure for
> updating to a later patch level?
>
> I assumed it would be to download/execute the desired package; e.g.
> gvim_8.2.2374_x64_signed.exe . . .
>
> That is not working for me: trashes/locks-up the existing %HOMEDRIVE% \Program
> Files\Vim\vim82 directory!? A Restart clears the lock-up (of course) and
> deletes the ..\vim82 sub-directory. I can install like new again using the
> downloaded package—and all is well.

That should work and has always worked for me.
Kill all running Vim instances before updating, otherwise the installer
may not be able to delete and re-install. Or what exactly do you mean
with "trashes/locks-up"?

> I figured out that I could, alternatively, download  and extract the .zip
> package—replacing the ..\vim82 sub-directory with cut&paste—and all is well as
> well !-|

That should also work, as long as no process is open from that
directory.

Best,
Christian
--
Adam war ein Mensch; er wollte den Apfel nicht des Apfels wegen,
sondern nur, weil er verboten war.

Mike O'Brien

Jan 21, 2021, 11:03:44 AM1/21/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 1/20/2021 4:21 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> On Di, 19 Jan 2021, Mike O'Brien wrote:
>
>> Relative newbie here with a simple question—probably.
>>
>> Having successfully installed (on Win 8.1x64 Pro), what is the procedure for
>> updating to a later patch level?
>>
>> I assumed it would be to download/execute the desired package; e.g.
>> gvim_8.2.2374_x64_signed.exe . . .
>>
>> That is not working for me: trashes/locks-up the existing %HOMEDRIVE% \Program
>> Files\Vim\vim82 directory!? A Restart clears the lock-up (of course) and
>> deletes the ..\vim82 sub-directory. I can install like new again using the
>> downloaded package—and all is well.
> That should work and has always worked for me.
> Kill all running Vim instances before updating, otherwise the installer
> may not be able to delete and re-install. Or what exactly do you mean
> with "trashes/locks-up"?
>
> Yes, 'delete and re-install' is what is failing, though I have no Vim instances running.
>> I figured out that I could, alternatively, download  and extract the .zip
>> package—replacing the ..\vim82 sub-directory with cut&paste—and all is well as
>> well !-|
> That should also work, as long as no process is open from that
> directory.
>

> Best,
> Christian

Thank you very much, Christian, for your insight and for confirming my expectations.
I'll take it from here; closer scruitiny is required, obviously.

Thanks again,
Mike