Opening of Vim shows me warnings

Arup Rakshit

Aug 25, 2019, 12:08:32 PM8/25/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

When I open my vim in the iTerm2 as below, I see lot of warnings.

➜ vim
Warning: Failed to set locale category LC_NUMERIC to en_IN.
Warning: Failed to set locale category LC_TIME to en_IN.
Warning: Failed to set locale category LC_COLLATE to en_IN.
Warning: Failed to set locale category LC_MONETARY to en_IN.
Warning: Failed to set locale category LC_MESSAGES to en_IN.

What could be the problem of these?

Thanks,

Arup Rakshit

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 25, 2019, 12:21:12 PM8/25/19
to vim_use
Do you by any chance have the statement "language en_IN" in your
vimrc? If you do, then it means that your system doesn't accept en_IN
as a valid locale.

On Unix-like systems, "locale -a | less" (typed at a shell prompt)
will show you all the locale names known by the system. On Windows,
the locale names have a different format: if you are running Vim on
Windows, try "language English_India.10646" instead.

Best regards,
Tony.

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 25, 2019, 12:33:29 PM8/25/19
to vim_use
Oh and another thing: on Unix-like systems, if $LC_ALL is set, you
cannot change any other locale setting because it overrides them all.
OTOH, if $LC_ALL is not set, then if $LANG is set it will be used as a
fallback value for any $LC_* which is not defined.

Best regards,
Tony.