vim cannot write a file being saved by OneDrive but Notepad++ can

Richard Pennenga

May 13, 2024, 4:07:46 PMMay 13
to vim_use
Has anyone else seen this?

I have an existing text file (foo.py) in a folder backed up by OneDrive.  I created the file using Notepad++.  I opened the file using vim, modified the text and tried to write it (":w<cr>").  I get the following:

"foo.py" E514: Write error (file system full?)
WARNING: Original file may be lost or damaged
don't quit the editor until the file is successfully written!

Notepad++ can read and write the file just fine.

Any ideas?

Richard Pennenga

May 13, 2024, 10:10:10 PMMay 13
to vim_use
I found a reference to whitelisting a program with Windows, here:

Sadly I followed the instructions and it didn't fix the problem.

My IT guy came by and suggested I go to "Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Protection history", and click on a recent item.

Sure enough, it showed

App or process blocked: gvim.exe
Blocked by: Controlled folder access

There was a link, "Controlled folder access settings" > "Allow an app through Controlled folder access" which shows "Allow an app through Controlled folder access".

There's a list there of allowed apps, and a button, "+ Add an allowed app".  I used that to allow gvim and away I went. No more problems.