Display of characters is inconsistent

Eric Weir

Jun 12, 2019, 4:03:17 PM6/12/19
to vim_use

I’m coming back to vim after an extended absence. Display of text is splotchy, not sharp as I remember. The problem seems to be certain characters, primarily “i” and “j” as near as I can tell are not as bright as others. A screen shot is attached.

Clues as to why this is happening would be appreciated.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

“Man has been a murderer forever.”

- Peter Matthiessen.

Grant Taylor

Jun 12, 2019, 7:55:26 PM6/12/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 6/12/19 2:03 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
> I’m coming back to vim after an extended absence. Display of text is
> splotchy, not sharp as I remember. The problem seems to be certain
> characters, primarily “i” and “j” as near as I can tell are not as
> bright as others. A screen shot is attached.
>
> Clues as to why this is happening would be appreciated.

Is this Gvim? Or is this by chance a terminal emulator issue?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Eric Weir

Jun 12, 2019, 9:30:08 PM6/12/19
to vim_use
Sorry. Should’ve mentioned. MacVim

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA

"Giving is an essence of existence….”

- David Whyte

Shlomi Fish

Jun 13, 2019, 4:47:02 AM6/13/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:29:56 -0400
Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > On Jun 12, 2019, at 7:55 PM, 'Grant Taylor' via vim_use
> > <vim...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 6/12/19 2:03 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
> >> I’m coming back to vim after an extended absence. Display of text is
> >> splotchy, not sharp as I remember. The problem seems to be certain
> >> characters, primarily “i” and “j” as near as I can tell are not as bright
> >> as others. A screen shot is attached. Clues as to why this is happening
> >> would be appreciated.
> >
> > Is this Gvim? Or is this by chance a terminal emulator issue?
>
> Sorry. Should’ve mentioned. MacVim

Can you try to see if it happens with different fonts? E.g:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=programmer+fonts&atb=v140-1&ia=web .

> Eric Weir
> Decatur, GA USA
>
> "Giving is an essence of existence….”
>
> - David Whyte

Eric Weir

Jun 13, 2019, 7:06:57 AM6/13/19
to vim_use

<vim...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On 6/12/19 2:03 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
I’m coming back to vim after an extended absence. Display of text is
splotchy, not sharp as I remember. The problem seems to be certain
characters, primarily “i” and “j” as near as I can tell are not as bright
as others. A screen shot is attached. Clues as to why this is happening
would be appreciated.

Is this Gvim?  Or is this by chance a terminal emulator issue?

Sorry. Should’ve mentioned. MacVim

Can you try to see if it happens with different fonts? E.g:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=programmer+fonts&atb=v140-1&ia=web .

I tried Menlo 12. Looks a lot better. Thanks.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz