How to get C-x C-f to properly handle $HOME but not expand it into the text?

Shlomi Fish

May 17, 2019, 8:15:23 AM5/17/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

With gvim -U NONE -u NONE .jwmrc (which the XML file here
https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/blob/master/shlomif-settings/jwm/jwm.jwmrc
) pressing Ctrl-x and ctrl-f in insert mode in line 130 causes $HOME to expand
into /home/shlomif in the text, which I wish to avoid, but want the paths to
complete relative to the home dir. How can it be done?

I've searched google, DDG and the vim docs to no avail.

Andy Wokula

May 17, 2019, 1:36:38 PM5/17/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Am 17.05.2019 um 14:15 schrieb Shlomi Fish:
> Hi all!
>
> With gvim -U NONE -u NONE .jwmrc (which the XML file here
> https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/blob/master/shlomif-settings/jwm/jwm.jwmrc
> ) pressing Ctrl-x and ctrl-f in insert mode in line 130 causes $HOME to expand
> into /home/shlomif in the text, which I wish to avoid, but want the paths to
> complete relative to the home dir. How can it be done?
>
> I've searched google, DDG and the vim docs to no avail.

I think I've something for you (this is quite old already ...):
https://gist.github.com/Houl/20881b64aa05d5ecda60914598b3e754

This script temporarily expands an env var like $HOME and later converts it back.

Usage:

* store script in the runtimepath under
autoload\nwo\mappings\cxf_mod.vim
(only tested under Windows!)

* add a mapping for i_CTRL-X_CTRL-F in your vimrc:
imap <expr> <C-X><C-F> nwo#mappings#cxf_mod#Plug()

--
Andy

Shlomi Fish

May 17, 2019, 2:11:35 PM5/17/19
to 'Andy Wokula' via vim_use
Thanks, Andy! Can you please make it a github/etc.-plugin-repo similar to
https://github.com/shlomif/vim-extract-variable so it can be used using
vam/vundle/pathogen/etc.?

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
What does “Zionism” mean? - http://shlom.in/def-zionism

Jack: Hi Sophie!
Sophie: Don’t “Hi, Sophie!” me.
Jack: Don’t “Don’t ‘Hi, Sophie!’ me” me!

Andy Wokula

May 20, 2019, 1:52:21 PM5/20/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Am 17.05.2019 um 20:11 schrieb Shlomi Fish:
> On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:36:26 +0200
> "'Andy Wokula' via vim_use" <vim...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 17.05.2019 um 14:15 schrieb Shlomi Fish:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> With gvim -U NONE -u NONE .jwmrc (which the XML file here
>>> https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/blob/master/shlomif-settings/jwm/jwm.jwmrc
>>> ) pressing Ctrl-x and ctrl-f in insert mode in line 130 causes $HOME to
>>> expand into /home/shlomif in the text, which I wish to avoid, but want the
>>> paths to complete relative to the home dir. How can it be done?
>>>
>>> I've searched google, DDG and the vim docs to no avail.
>>
>> I think I've something for you (this is quite old already ...):
>> https://gist.github.com/Houl/20881b64aa05d5ecda60914598b3e754
>>
>> This script temporarily expands an env var like $HOME and later converts it
>> back.
>>
>> Usage:
>>
>> * store script in the runtimepath under
>> autoload\nwo\mappings\cxf_mod.vim
>> (only tested under Windows!)
>>
>> * add a mapping for i_CTRL-X_CTRL-F in your vimrc:
>> imap <expr> <C-X><C-F> nwo#mappings#cxf_mod#Plug()
>>

> Thanks, Andy! Can you please make it a github/etc.-plugin-repo similar to
> https://github.com/shlomif/vim-extract-variable so it can be used using
> vam/vundle/pathogen/etc.?

https://github.com/Houl/cxf_mod-vim

HTH,
Andy

Shlomi Fish

May 20, 2019, 8:47:25 PM5/20/19
to 'Andy Wokula' via vim_use
On Mon, 20 May 2019 19:52:01 +0200
Thanks Andy! It works reasonably well. Starred.

-- Shlomi

> HTH,
> Andy

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
List of Graphics Apps - http://shlom.in/graphics

Emacs is a nice operating system, but what it lacks, in order to compete with
Linux, is a good text editor.
— based on http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Emacs