Unwanted underline

hh h

Sep 4, 2019, 7:27:05 AM9/4/19
to vim_use

I installed 2:8.0.1453-1ubuntu1.1 in Ubuntu 18.4, could anyone explain why vim display underline in system key word, I don't want those underline, how can I set .vimrc to remove those underline?

#include <unistd.h>
#include <inttypes.h>
#include <string>
#include <vector>

Thank you.

Kind regards.

- jh

Christian Brabandt

Sep 4, 2019, 7:31:38 AM9/4/19
to vim_use

On Mi, 04 Sep 2019, hh h wrote:

> I installed 2:8.0.1453-1ubuntu1.1 in Ubuntu 18.4, could anyone explain why vim display underline in system key word, I don't want those underline, how can I set .vimrc to remove those underline?
>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include <inttypes.h>
> #include <string>
> #include <vector>

That is quite a brief problem description. From the context, I assume
you see this with C files, however I don't see that with the mentioned
header lines.

Please provide exact reproduction steps. Start with vim --clean

Oh, and please read at :h ft-c-syntax perhaps there exists a setting for
you to disable this.

Best,
Christian
--
Nicht alles, was zwei Backen hat, ist ein Gesicht.
-- Winfried Bornemann

JH

Sep 4, 2019, 9:49:43 PM9/4/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 9/4/19, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:

> On Mi, 04 Sep 2019, hh h wrote:
>

>> I installed 2:8.0.1453-1ubuntu1.1 in Ubuntu 18.4, could anyone explain why
>> vim display underline in system key word, I don't want those underline,
>> how can I set .vimrc to remove those underline?
>>
>> #include <unistd.h>
>> #include <inttypes.h>
>> #include <string>
>> #include <vector>
>
> That is quite a brief problem description. From the context, I assume
> you see this with C files, however I don't see that with the mentioned
> header lines.

With C++ file.

> Please provide exact reproduction steps. Start with vim --clean

Wow, that makes different, it displays color, no underline any more,
how can I run the vim without --clean?

Also, I use .vimrc configure, what the statement can I add to .vimrc
to turn the color off?

Thank you Christian

Eli the Bearded

Sep 5, 2019, 6:07:11 PM9/5/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com

JH wrote:
> Wow, that makes different, it displays color, no underline any more,
> how can I run the vim without --clean?
>
> Also, I use .vimrc configure, what the statement can I add to .vimrc
> to turn the color off?

You might like ":syntax off". I have that in my .vimrc.

But to outright disable colors, setting the terminal setting for number
of colors supported to zero is very effective:

:set t_Co=0

All of the t_* settings are termcap overrides, using the same names as
the traditional short termcap names. On my system "man terminfo" gives
the names.

Elijah

Christian Brabandt

Sep 6, 2019, 3:55:01 AM9/6/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Do, 05 Sep 2019, JH wrote:

> On 9/4/19, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mi, 04 Sep 2019, hh h wrote:
> >

> >> I installed 2:8.0.1453-1ubuntu1.1 in Ubuntu 18.4, could anyone explain why
> >> vim display underline in system key word, I don't want those underline,
> >> how can I set .vimrc to remove those underline?
> >>
> >> #include <unistd.h>
> >> #include <inttypes.h>
> >> #include <string>
> >> #include <vector>
> >
> > That is quite a brief problem description. From the context, I assume
> > you see this with C files, however I don't see that with the mentioned
> > header lines.
>
> With C++ file.
>

> > Please provide exact reproduction steps. Start with vim --clean
>
> Wow, that makes different, it displays color, no underline any more,
> how can I run the vim without --clean?

So check your configuration.

> Also, I use .vimrc configure, what the statement can I add to .vimrc
> to turn the color off?

You don't want colors? Then configure vim to not use syntax
highlighting.
(:h :syn-off)

Best,
Christian
--
Mit einer geballten Faust kann man keinen Händedruck wechseln.
-- Indira Gandhi

Adrian Petrescu

Sep 6, 2019, 3:58:00 AM9/6/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 09/05 11:49AM, JH wrote:
>> Please provide exact reproduction steps. Start with vim --clean
>
>Wow, that makes different, it displays color, no underline any more,
>how can I run the vim without --clean?

All `--clean` does is skip loading .vimrc and all other user-provided
configuration.

>Also, I use .vimrc configure, what the statement can I add to .vimrc
>to turn the color off?

Well, it sounds like it's not something you need to add *to* .vimrc, but
rather something you need to remove *from* .vimrc to solve this problem.
If you post yours, we can probably help you diagnose it; likely it's
some ANSI color code that your terminal doesn't know about and is
choosing to represent it via underline.

--
Adrian