clipbaord internals ques

M Kelly

May 18, 2020, 12:02:44 AM5/18/20
to vim_use
Hi,

Just curious, what is the mechanism by which vim saves to the clipboard ?
For example if I am on a X11 system but in termnal vim and I have clipboard set to unnamed
and I highlight in visual mode some lines and then y(ank) them - does vim use OSC 52 ?
Or does it (even tho its the terminal) use X11 to update the PRIMARY ?
I will try to figure this out from the code but just wondered if anyone knew this already.

thx as always for all things vim,
-m

Ken Takata

May 20, 2020, 2:43:23 AM5/20/20
to vim_use
Hi,
Vim uses X11 even on terminal to support clipboard.
If you use Vim which is compiled without X11, you will find that the clipboard feature (in output of `:version`)
is disabled.

Regards,
Ken Takata