Control keys not working

Salman Halim

Jul 29, 2022, 10:35:43 PM7/29/22
to Vim Users
Hello,

I'm using 32-bit GVim on Windows 10, 9.0 with patches 1-107, though I noticed this with just patches 1-27, also: when I hit control keys in insert mode, it just inserts the key as if control hadn't been pressed.

Simple example: 0<c-d>, which is supposed to delete all indent from the line. I just get a '0D' onscreen.

I can accept that this might be caused by a plugin, but it wasn't happening in the 8.2 days, so thought I would mention it in case someone else had seen it, also.

Thank you and best regards,

--

Salman

I, too, shall something make and glory in the making.

Salman Halim

Jul 29, 2022, 10:54:53 PM7/29/22
to Vim Users
As an addendum, here is a simple example that works (as in, doesn't work) even with gvim -u NONE -U NONE:

imap <c-_> TEST

Hitting <c-_> (I usually just hit control-hyphen, but control-shift-hyphen doesn't work, either) and just inserts a hyphen.

Stan Brown

Jul 29, 2022, 11:55:47 PM7/29/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 2022-07-29 19:54, Salman Halim wrote:
> As an addendum, here is a simple example that works (as in, doesn't
> work) even with gvim -u NONE -U NONE:
>
> imap <c-_> TEST
>
> Hitting <c-_> (I usually just hit control-hyphen, but
> control-shift-hyphen doesn't work, either) and just inserts a hyphen.
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:35 PM Salman Halim <salma...@gmail.com
> <mailto:salma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm using 32-bit GVim on Windows 10, 9.0 with patches 1-107, though
> I noticed this with just patches 1-27, also: when I hit control keys
> in insert mode, it just inserts the key as if control hadn't been
> pressed.
>
> Simple example: 0<c-d>, which is supposed to delete all indent from
> the line. I just get a '0D' onscreen.
>
> I can accept that this might be caused by a plugin, but it wasn't
> happening in the 8.2 days, so thought I would mention it in case
> someone else had seen it, also.

I wonder if this is a hardware problem.

Do control keys still work normally in other programs? For example, when
you make a change to a document in Word or Outlook and then press
Ctrl+Z, is the change reverted, or do you see a Z inserted the document?

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com

Salman Halim

Jul 30, 2022, 12:01:00 AM7/30/22
to Vim Users
Steven,

They work everywhere else. Once again, they were working fine in GVim 8.2. Also, I've tried it on two different computers now.  In fact, I just opened up an old GVim 8.1 I had lying around while typing this email message and they worked just fine.

Salman

Anton Sharonov

Jul 30, 2022, 5:31:12 AM7/30/22
to Richard Hartmann

Salman Halim <salma...@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 30. Juli 2022, 06:00:
Steven,

They work everywhere else. Once again, they were working fine in GVim 8.2. Also, I've tried it on two different computers now.  In fact, I just opened up an old GVim 8.1 I had lying around while typing this email message and they worked just fine.

Patch 8.2.4803 introduced radical change of how keyboard input is handled in w32 gvim. It is however not clear, how your problem can be caused by it (would be otherwise reported 100x times already - and it is not). Still, may be you use some non- standard keyboard layout?

Also please double check with -U NONE that stock Ctrl+d really not working?

With best regards, Anton

Bram Moolenaar

Jul 30, 2022, 5:41:16 AM7/30/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Salman Halim

Salman Halim wrote:

> I'm using 32-bit GVim on Windows 10, 9.0 with patches 1-107, though I
> noticed this with just patches 1-27, also: when I hit control keys in
> insert mode, it just inserts the key as if control hadn't been pressed.
>
> Simple example: 0<c-d>, which is supposed to delete all indent from the
> line. I just get a '0D' onscreen.
>
> I can accept that this might be caused by a plugin, but it wasn't happening
> in the 8.2 days, so thought I would mention it in case someone else had
> seen it, also.

There have been problems with specific keyboards. What keyboard layout
are you using?

193. You ask your girlfriend to drive home so you can sit back with
your PDA and download the information to your laptop

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

Salman Halim

Jul 30, 2022, 10:40:31 AM7/30/22
to Vim Users
0D works with NONE, but ctrl-_ does not. I'm using a US QWERTY layout. I'm not sure if my 8.2 is older than 4803, but things work on there.

Salman

Anton Sharonov

Jul 30, 2022, 11:18:38 AM7/30/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:40:12AM -0400, Salman Halim wrote:
> 0D works with NONE, but ctrl-_ does not. I'm using a US QWERTY layout. I'm
> not sure if my 8.2 is older than 4803, but things work on there.

That makes sense now, thanks for clarification.

Ctrl+something still works, just this specific case (Ctrl+-) is
stopped to work. I created an issue on the tracker to capture it,
feel free to add more details:

https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/10817

Basically until it is fixed, you can use following workaround:

imap <C--> TEST
> >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CANuxnEexmP%3Dy9fC6jESCB9E_L1c9QGCw0G9Qkbmtr-gJmALJCQ%40mail.gmail.com
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CANuxnEexmP%3Dy9fC6jESCB9E_L1c9QGCw0G9Qkbmtr-gJmALJCQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >> .
> >>
> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAMoRF4%3DCh%3DFN4rUWXz4B53NeToqD_k5BscR8_HM-75%3DS_LTFuA%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAMoRF4%3DCh%3DFN4rUWXz4B53NeToqD_k5BscR8_HM-75%3DS_LTFuA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

> ---

Salman Halim

Jul 30, 2022, 11:44:33 AM7/30/22
to Vim Users
On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 11:18 AM Anton Sharonov <anton.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
That makes sense now, thanks for clarification.

Ctrl+something still works, just this specific case (Ctrl+-) is
stopped to work. I created an issue on the tracker to capture it,
feel free to add more details:

https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/10817

Basically until it is fixed, you can use following workaround:

imap <C--> TEST

With best regards, Anton

Thanks for creating the issue, Anton. I added a comment to it about how 0<c-s-d> works, just not 0<c-d>:

imap 0<c-d> 0<c-s-d>

Much appreciated.

Salman