repost in new thread...how does Vim open a TTY window?

L A Walsh

Aug 17, 2021, 6:24:08 PM8/17/21
to Vim Users
Does vim do it's own TTY / terminal extension, or does it use the one
in Win10.

I.e. I thought someone said they didn't think it would work under
Win7?

Bram Moolenaar

Aug 18, 2021, 2:43:29 PM8/18/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com, L A Walsh

> Does vim do it's own TTY / terminal extension, or does it use the one
> in Win10.

What do you mean with "terminal extension"? Vim runs in the console,
can use the Windows terminal and also has a built-in terminal emulator.

> I.e. I thought someone said they didn't think it would work under
> Win7?

The Windows terminal is not available in Windows 7.

--
Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting
someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

L A Walsh

Sep 3, 2021, 8:35:04 AM9/3/21
to Bram Moolenaar, vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2021/08/18 11:43, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> Does vim do it's own TTY / terminal extension, or does it use the one
>> in Win10.
>>
> What do you mean with "terminal extension"? Vim runs in the console,
> can use the Windows terminal and also has a built-in terminal emulator.

----
Sorry I meant the graphical version of vim -- gvim.
This came out of the note entitled
"RedHat Athena: GUI vim is extremely slow using terminal"
by "Aleksandr Jakušev", date+time 2021/05/07 07:57(PDT).

He said the new ":term" function in Gvim_v8 (wasn't in V7) was
really slow, example: ":term ls -l" takes several minutes to run.

I couldn't try to repeat his problem at the time because I still
was running gvim 7.x on my linx at the time.

Anyway, got that upgraded and realized I could also use the
gvim running natively on Windows as it was also at 8.2.2803.
(running on linux, displaying on Windows).
>> I.e. I thought someone said they didn't think it would work under
>> Win7?
>>
> The Windows terminal is not available in Windows 7.

yeah, but the gvim ":term" feature doesn't use the Windows
terminal feature, so it works regardless.

What I notice as a bit 'odd' is that the emulated
terminal feature set isn't consistent. For example,
I have a shellscript to show 24-bit color (attached).
The native Win version, _maybe_ has 256 colors at most.
but definitely not 24-bit:

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Apr 23 2021 22:01:55)
MS-Windows 64-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-2803
Compiled by appveyor@APPVYR-WIN
Huge version with GUI.

But in the Cygwin version:
VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2.486
Mod+compiled by <cyg...@cygwin.com>
Huge version with GTK3 GUI.

as well as a linux version(s) (displayed on same cygwin-X):
Vim 8.2.3204
Compiled by 'http://www.opensuse.org/'
Huge version with GTK3 GUI.

24-bit color fully works and is fast!

Why would vim's terminal emulation be different and
less capable using native Win calls, vs.
when it's displayed via 'X'?

24-bit-color.sh