Real laws, yet funny (For Bram's, or anyone's, collection of signature quotes)

Tony Mechelynck

Sep 21, 2020, 11:01:47 AM9/21/20
to Bram Moolenaar, vim_use
Since March 2007, it is a real standing law in the US state of
Arkansas (whose name is to be pronounced as "Arkansaw"), that the
"possessive" (i.e. genitive) form of the state's name must be written
emphasize the difference with the apostrophe).

Reference: Arkansas Apostrophe Act, mentioned in ABC News [USA] on 6
March 2007, see item 38 under
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#References

Best regards,
Tony.

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 21, 2020, 2:05:52 PM9/21/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Tony Mechelynck
It's interesting, but I don't find it funny. Perhaps linguists
(linguists's ?) find that funny.

--
DENNIS: Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out
swords ... that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme

Ottavio Caruso

Sep 21, 2020, 2:47:10 PM9/21/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 16:01, Tony Mechelynck
<antoine.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since March 2007, it is a real standing law in the US state of
> Arkansas (whose name is to be pronounced as "Arkansaw"), that the
> "possessive" (i.e. genitive) form of the state's name must be written
> emphasize the difference with the apostrophe).

I am not a native speaker of English, but I think it is correct (and
obvious) that the Saxon genitive of Arkansas is Arkansas's and not
Arkansas'. The latter is only reserved for plural nouns ("my friends'
party", "my parents' house," but "James's car", Charles's book).

Or maybe I've missed the point.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Ruben Safir

Sep 21, 2020, 2:59:20 PM9/21/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
You missed the point when you spent more than a second thinking about it.

They missed the point when they wasted time and money to enacted a
statute todo the same thing.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Salman Halim

Sep 21, 2020, 3:16:34 PM9/21/20
to Vim Users

> I am not a native speaker of English, but I think it is correct (and
> obvious) that the Saxon genitive of Arkansas is Arkansas's and not
> Arkansas'. The latter is only reserved for plural nouns ("my friends'
> party", "my parents' house," but "James's car", Charles's book).
>
> Or maybe I've missed the point.

You missed the point when you spent more than a second thinking about it.

They missed the point when they wasted time and money to enacted a
statute todo the same thing.

It is nice to know that they had the free time and no serious issues so could afford to spend time on this weighty issue.

I did also think that the joke might be that it would now be pronounced 'Arken Sauces', bringing in the otherwise silent S.

Salman

aro...@vex.net

Sep 21, 2020, 4:20:02 PM9/21/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> Or maybe I've missed the point.
>
> Ottavio Caruso

Surely, the point is that a body that passes laws like that has way too
much spare time.

Emily Jackson

Sep 22, 2020, 2:02:00 AM9/22/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
It is also used with some proper nouns of Greek origin that end in “s”. (Jesus’ teachings, Moses’ laws).

Emily

caveman رجل الكهف

Sep 22, 2020, 2:40:43 AM9/22/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar
Sep 22, 2020, 4:15:31 AM9/22/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
‪On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 at 07:40, 'caveman رجل الكهف' via vim_use
As we've all gone in full off-topic mode, isn't it the case in the US
of A that individual states can also determine their own official
language? I must have read somewhere that one state (which ?) ruled
that its own language should be "American" and not "English", in which
case they are free to make up their own spelling rules.

The real issue here is how one would import the Arkansas's spell
checker into Vim.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Brennan Vincent

Sep 22, 2020, 8:47:04 AM9/22/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
The states have a variety of official languages, but none is "American".
From Wikipedia:

> 32 states of the United States, in some cases as part of what has been
> called the English-only movement, have adopted legislation granting
> official status to English. Out of 50 states, 30 have established
> English as the only[citation needed] official language, while Hawaii
> recognizes both English and Hawaiian as official, and Alaska has made
> some 20 native languages official, along with English; for example,
> Alaska provides voting information in English, Iñupiaq, Central
> Yup'ik, Gwich'in, Siberian Yupik, Koyukon, and Tagalog.

meine

Sep 22, 2020, 2:36:36 PM9/22/20
On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 05:01:11PM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> Since March 2007, it is a real standing law in the US state of
> Arkansas (whose name is to be pronounced as "Arkansaw"), that the
> "possessive" (i.e. genitive) form of the state's name must be written
> emphasize the difference with the apostrophe).

Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately I don't write that many on
Arkansawistic matters, but I will keep this in archive for possible
writings in future.

As there are a lot of software forks being made, probably a vimrc
release will be provided soon that resolves this AAA-matter in a more
profound way.

Cincerely,

//meine

> Reference: Arkansas Apostrophe Act, mentioned in ABC News [USA] on 6
> March 2007, see item 38 under
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#References
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

> ---

meine

Sep 22, 2020, 2:38:36 PM9/22/20
to 'caveman رجل الكهف' via vim_use
+1

<grin>

> ---

meine

Sep 22, 2020, 2:54:36 PM9/22/20
to 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use
On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 09:15:02AM +0100, 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use wrote:
> The real issue here is how one would import the Arkansas's spell
> checker into Vim.

:setlocal spell spelllang=en_ark

for further settings and suggestions, please read

h: spell

This is why I love Vim so much, all the basic infrastructure is already
there!

//meine