Strange behavior of vim-kolor with Markdown

Anton Shepelev

Jul 31, 2020, 5:11:37 AM7/31/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hello, all

I have a problem with the beautiful vim-kolor plugin, and am
posting my question here because the plugin author seems to
have set up the Github project not to accept any issues:

https://github.com/zeis/vim-kolor

Maybe you can help.

While editing a markdown file (*.md) in GVim with the
following vimrc:

set encoding=utf8
let g:kolor_italic=0
let g:kolor_bold=0
colorscheme kolor
syntax enable
filetype plugin on
set guifont=PxPlus IBM VGA8:h24

italic font style is used for *emphasis* even though it is
disabled in the vimrc. When, however, I explicitely invoke
`:colo kolor', the italic style is turned off. Futhermore,
an explicit invocation of `:colo kolor' turns off italic
even if it is not disabled in vimrc. But the bold style
setting (g:kolor_bold) is respected. This bug (if bug it
is) occurs with .md files, but not with vimrc, so I don't
even know whether it is in the vim-kolor plugin or the
markdown syntax definition...

Is anybody else using this plugin and observing the same
issue?

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

meine

Aug 1, 2020, 9:39:54 AM8/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:11:19PM +0300, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> I have a problem with the beautiful vim-kolor plugin

Why don't you use regular settings for colorization of specific file
types? With `:filetype on' in your vimrc, colorization should be set to
the best use.

Using the molokai colorscheme in gvim on a markdown file, bold is
stone-red, italic is italicized, code (html for digraphs) is light-blue.
Works out of the box!

Indeed you may have to invest some time finding a nice colorscheme that
also fits your needs to display the markup. With some efford you also
can change a colorscheme's internals to tweak displaying at your needs.

Maybe just a simpler solution...

//meine

Anton Shepelev

Aug 1, 2020, 2:33:41 PM8/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
meine to Anton Shepelev:

> > I have a problem with the beautiful vim-kolor plugin
>
> Why don't you use regular settings for colorization of specific
> file types? With `:filetype on' in your vimrc, colorization
> should be set to the best use.

I don't have that in my vimrc, but I have filetype plugin on, and
:set filetype? shows the correct type for me. I have tried several
colorschemes and like vim-kolor the best, which why I should prefer
to make it work rather than seek something else.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Anton Shepelev

Aug 1, 2020, 3:23:19 PM8/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Anton Shepelev:

> > Why don't you use regular settings for colorization of specific
> > file types? With `:filetype on' in your vimrc, colorization
> > should be set to the best use.
>
> I have tried several colorschemes and like vim-kolor the best,
> which why I should prefer to make it work rather than seek
> something else.

Futhermore, I use exclusively raster fonts without bold and italic
styles, so most syntax-highliting schemes do not work for my
out-of-the-box, and this vim-kolor plugin has speciation provision
for people like me -- a ficility to disable bold and italic styles
in gVim.