Not sure if bug, accurate message, or whether there's a better way

Tim Chase

Jul 14, 2020, 2:26:53 PM7/14/20
to v...@vim.org
Issued the following

$ vim -u NONE

then did

o<ESC>u<c-o>

This gave me an E19 ("Mark has invalid line number").

In contrast, starting a bare vim

$ vim -u NONE

and just using

<c-o>

doesn't balk, even though there's also no valid previous-line-number
to jump to.

My gut says the two should behave the same. Either both should E19,
or neither should.

I'm also not sure what to do with it other than to mention the
peculiarity and let core devs take a crack at why there
should/shouldn't be some sort of difference.

No big deal, just a minor bugaboo/wart I encountered.

-tim

Bram Moolenaar

Jul 14, 2020, 3:55:13 PM7/14/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Tim Chase, v...@vim.org
It looks correct. The "u" command sets a mark and then in this case
deletes the line that the mark is on. Thus you can't go back there.

7. Finish all your sentences with "in accordance with the prophecy".