I get "Press ENTER or type command to continue" but not when using symlinks.

Ottavio Caruso

Apr 30, 2020, 2:54:39 PM4/30/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

this is another "Press ENTER or type command to continue " question,
but this time it's a bit different and bit bizarre. My vim version at
the end of this message.

I have a directory with some symbolic links:

$ ls -al docs/man-todo docs/tips
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oc oc 46 Feb 3 08:27 docs/man-todo ->
/home/oc/Documents/BSD-Cert/man-todo-final.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oc oc 56 Apr 30 19:40 docs/tips ->
/home/oc/Documents/BSD-Cert/fortunes/freebsd-tips-rework

When I launch either of the files (in /home/oc/Documents/BSD-Cert/) with:

vim -u NONE /home/oc/Documents/BSD-Cert/man-todo-final.txt
or:
vim -u NONE /home/oc/Documents/BSD-Cert/fortunes/freebsd-tips-rework

I get "Press ENTER or type command to continue" every time I enter ex
mode, but I never get it when I use:

vim -u NONE /home/oc/docs/man-todo
or:
vim -u NONE /home/oc/docs/tips

This doesn't happen at all if I omit the "-u NONE" argument.

The only thing that could explain this is that the original directory
is on a vfat partitions, whereas the symlinks are on a ext4 partition.

Any clue?

$ vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Apr 3 2020 09:57:11)
Included patches: 1-303
Modified by mo...@NetBSD.org
Compiled by oc@e130
Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl -farsi -mouse_sysmouse -tag_old_static
+arabic +file_in_path +mouse_urxvt -tag_any_white
+autocmd +find_in_path +mouse_xterm -tcl
+autochdir +float +multi_byte +termguicolors
-autoservername +folding +multi_lang +terminal
-balloon_eval -footer -mzscheme +terminfo
+balloon_eval_term +fork() +netbeans_intg +termresponse
-browse +gettext +num64 +textobjects
-builtin_terms -hangul_input +packages +textprop
+byte_offset +iconv +path_extra +timers
+channel +insert_expand -perl +title
+cindent +job +persistent_undo -toolbar
-clientserver +jumplist +popupwin +user_commands
-clipboard +keymap +postscript +vartabs
+cmdline_compl +lambda +printer +vertsplit
+cmdline_hist +langmap +profile +virtualedit
+cmdline_info +libcall -python +visual
+comments +linebreak -python3 +visualextra
+conceal +lispindent +quickfix +viminfo
+cryptv +listcmds +reltime +vreplace
+cscope +localmap +rightleft +wildignore
+cursorbind -lua -ruby +wildmenu
+cursorshape +menu +scrollbind +windows
+dialog_con +mksession +signs +writebackup
+diff +modify_fname +smartindent -X11
+digraphs +mouse -sound -xfontset
-dnd -mouseshape +spell -xim
-ebcdic +mouse_dec +startuptime -xpm
+emacs_tags -mouse_gpm +statusline -xsmp
+eval -mouse_jsbterm -sun_workshop -xterm_clipboard
+ex_extra +mouse_netterm +syntax -xterm_save
+extra_search +mouse_sgr +tag_binary
system vimrc file: "/usr/pkg/etc/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/pkg/share/vim"
Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/include
-I/usr/pkg/include/ncurses -O2 -I/usr/include
-I/usr/pkg/include/ncurses -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: cc -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/local/lib
-Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lm -lnsl -lncurses -liconv -ldl

--
Ottavio Caruso

Christian Brabandt

Apr 30, 2020, 4:21:19 PM4/30/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ottavio,
can you please test with the latest version? I believe there were some
patches that fixes such a problem.

Thanks,
Christian
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian
--
Wenn man einen Zeugen Jehovas mit einem Atheisten kreuzt, dann
kommt jemand raus, der völlig sinnlos bei einem klingelt.

Ottavio Caruso

Apr 30, 2020, 5:33:12 PM4/30/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 21:21, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:

> Hi Ottavio,
> can you please test with the latest version? I believe there were some
> patches that fixes such a problem.

I've just compiled from the latest Github sources (8.2.0671), and
unfortunately I have the same problem.

oc@e130:~/vim/vim-8.2.0671$ ./src/vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Apr 30 2020 22:19:30)
Included patches: 1-671
Compiled by oc@e130
Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl -farsi +mouse_sgr +tag_binary
+arabic +file_in_path -mouse_sysmouse -tag_old_static
+autocmd +find_in_path +mouse_urxvt -tag_any_white
+autochdir +float +mouse_xterm -tcl
-autoservername +folding +multi_byte +termguicolors
-balloon_eval -footer +multi_lang +terminal
+balloon_eval_term +fork() -mzscheme +terminfo
-browse +gettext +netbeans_intg +termresponse
++builtin_terms -hangul_input +num64 +textobjects
+byte_offset +iconv +packages +textprop
+channel +insert_expand +path_extra +timers
+cindent +ipv6 -perl +title
-clientserver +job +persistent_undo -toolbar
-clipboard +jumplist +popupwin +user_commands
+cmdline_compl +keymap +postscript +vartabs
+cmdline_hist +lambda +printer +vertsplit
+cmdline_info +langmap +profile +virtualedit
+comments +libcall -python +visual
+conceal +linebreak -python3 +visualextra
+cryptv +lispindent +quickfix +viminfo
+cscope +listcmds +reltime +vreplace
+cursorbind +localmap +rightleft +wildignore
+cursorshape -lua -ruby +wildmenu
+dialog_con +menu +scrollbind +windows
+diff +mksession +signs +writebackup
+digraphs +modify_fname +smartindent -X11
-dnd +mouse -sound -xfontset
-ebcdic -mouseshape +spell -xim
+emacs_tags +mouse_dec +startuptime -xpm
+eval -mouse_gpm +statusline -xsmp
+ex_extra -mouse_jsbterm -sun_workshop -xterm_clipboard
+extra_search +mouse_netterm +syntax -xterm_save
system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2
-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lm -ltinfo -ldl

--
Ottavio Caruso

Christian Brabandt

May 1, 2020, 4:18:54 AM5/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Do, 30 Apr 2020, 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 21:21, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Ottavio,
> > can you please test with the latest version? I believe there were some
> > patches that fixes such a problem.
>
> I've just compiled from the latest Github sources (8.2.0671), and
> unfortunately I have the same problem.

Hm, not sure. Looks like to be caused by a vi-compatible setting
(possible shortmess). BTW: what is the size of your terminal? (echo
$LINES $COLUMNS to find out). How long is the complete path? Does it
matter, if the complete path is shorter (e.g. try with a bigger terminal
window).

Best,
Christian
--
Wer lügt, hat die Wahrheit immerhin gedacht.
-- Oliver Hassencamp

Ottavio Caruso

May 1, 2020, 5:34:06 AM5/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 09:18, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:

> On Do, 30 Apr 2020, 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 21:21, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Ottavio,
> > > can you please test with the latest version? I believe there were some
> > > patches that fixes such a problem.
> >
> > I've just compiled from the latest Github sources (8.2.0671), and
> > unfortunately I have the same problem.
>
> Hm, not sure. Looks like to be caused by a vi-compatible setting
> (possible shortmess). BTW: what is the size of your terminal? (echo
> $LINES $COLUMNS to find out). How long is the complete path? Does it
> matter, if the complete path is shorter (e.g. try with a bigger terminal
> window).

That was it!

$ echo $LINES $COLUMNS
24 80

Stretching the terminal to 100 columns solves the issue. And using a
shorter path, too.

So, we know what it is that triggers the message. Is it still a bug?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Christian Brabandt

May 1, 2020, 6:02:18 AM5/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
not sure.

Best,
Christian
--
Wenn alle Experten einig sind, ist Vorsicht geboten.
-- Bertrand A. W. Russel

Tony Mechelynck

May 1, 2020, 7:34:15 AM5/1/20
to vim_use
I'm not sure either. Ottavio, what is 'cmdheight' set to? Ask it with
:verbose set ch?
The default setting is 1, which IMHO is often too small a value. Does
the problem still happen (with long pathfilenames and/or narrow
terminal sizes) if you do
:set ch+=1 ch?
once or twice? If it doesn't, you can make that setting permanent by
writing it (not with += but with = and the actual value) into your
vimrc.

Best regards,
Tony.

Ottavio Caruso

May 1, 2020, 8:26:04 AM5/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
cmdheight=1

> The default setting is 1, which IMHO is often too small a value. Does
> the problem still happen (with long pathfilenames and/or narrow
> terminal sizes) if you do
> :set ch+=1 ch?
> once or twice? If it doesn't, you can make that setting permanent by
> writing it (not with += but with = and the actual value) into your
> vimrc.

Yes, changing cmdheight to solves the problem, but I have "-u NONE"
intentionally, in order to emulate legacy vi, therefore I can't put
anything in my .vimrc. (Incidentally, you might ask why I'm not using
nvi, and the reason is that it's buggy).

I can live with that. If it's not a bug and it's intended behaviour, so be it.

--
Ottavio Caruso