Small grammar issue in 'langmap'/'langremap' help

Tim Chase

Mar 2, 2020, 11:12:59 AM3/2/20
to vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org
Reading the help on 'langmap' today, I encountered this

Also consider resetting 'langremap' to avoid 'langmap'
applies to characters resulting from a mapping.

Despite reading this multiple times, I'm not quite sure what this is
trying to say. Confusion includes

- what does it mean to "reset"? (usually "reset" for a setting means
`set langmap&`, but in this case it defaults to *on*, so resetting
would do the opposite of what is intended). This also applies in
the help for 'langremap' where it says "reset in defaults.vim")

- the grammar of "applies" is peculiar.

Maybe something like

Also consider setting 'nolangremap' to prevent 'langmap'
from applying to characters used in a mapping.

in the help for 'langmap', and

boolean (default on, turned off in defaults.vim)

for the help on 'lrm'.

Thanks!

-tim

Bram Moolenaar

Mar 2, 2020, 2:55:28 PM3/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Tim Chase, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org

Tim Chase wrote:

> Reading the help on 'langmap' today, I encountered this
>
> Also consider resetting 'langremap' to avoid 'langmap'
> applies to characters resulting from a mapping.
>
> Despite reading this multiple times, I'm not quite sure what this is
> trying to say. Confusion includes
>
> - what does it mean to "reset"? (usually "reset" for a setting means
> `set langmap&`, but in this case it defaults to *on*, so resetting
> would do the opposite of what is intended). This also applies in
> the help for 'langremap' where it says "reset in defaults.vim")

Resetting means setting it off.

> - the grammar of "applies" is peculiar.
>
> Maybe something like
>
> Also consider setting 'nolangremap' to prevent 'langmap'
> from applying to characters used in a mapping.

How about:
Also consider setting 'langremap' to off, to avoid that 'langmap'
applies to characters resulting from a mapping.

> in the help for 'langmap', and
>
> boolean (default on, turned off in defaults.vim)
>
> for the help on 'lrm'.

I like to keep "set" in there, since that's the command that is used.
"set to off" is less ambiguous, but it doesn't sound very nice.

165. You have a web page burned into your glasses

Tim Chase

Mar 2, 2020, 3:53:35 PM3/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar
On 2020-03-02 20:55, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Tim Chase wrote:
>
> > Reading the help on 'langmap' today, I encountered this
> >
> > Also consider resetting 'langremap' to avoid 'langmap'
> > applies to characters resulting from a mapping.
> >
> > Despite reading this multiple times, I'm not quite sure what this
> > is trying to say. Confusion includes
> >
> > - what does it mean to "reset"? (usually "reset" for a setting
> > means `set langmap&`, but in this case it defaults to *on*, so
> > resetting would do the opposite of what is intended). This also
> > applies in the help for 'langremap' where it says "reset in
> > defaults.vim")
>
> Resetting means setting it off.

From `:help set-&`

:se[t] {option}& Reset option to its default value.

which makes much more sense for "reset", not setting a value to off.

> How about:
> Also consider setting 'langremap' to off, to avoid that
> 'langmap' applies to characters resulting from a mapping.

the "avoid…applies" might be better written as

to prevent 'langmap' from applying to characters

> > boolean (default on, turned off in defaults.vim)
>
> I like to keep "set" in there, since that's the command that is
> used. "set to off" is less ambiguous, but it doesn't sound very
> nice.

I agree that "set" is clearer. Perhaps rephrasing it like

boolean (default on, defaults.vim sets to off)

would help, or explicitly say what defaults.vim does:

boolean (default on; defaults.vim sets 'nolrm')

Thoughts?

-tim