Search history question

Salman Halim

Aug 31, 2019, 10:03:17 AM8/31/19
to Vim Users
I started noticing this a while ago, but it's somewhat new (months, not years):

If I search for "abcd" with incremental search enabled, the search characters get highlighted as I type them, which is obviously why I have incremental search enabled. However, when I look through my search history, I'm pretty sure I used to only see the one search entry for "abcd". These days, I see four: a, ab, abc and abcd. What happened?

This adds entries that don't really do anything because I might be in the middle of a regular expression and having search entries containing partially-entered expressions are somewhat meaningless, such as \( but without a closing \).

Is there a way to only have it register the entry in the search history when I press enter?

Obviously, setting @/ via a let creates just the one entry, but that's when I don't care about the incremental display.

Best regards,

--

Salman

Paul

Aug 31, 2019, 12:07:00 PM8/31/19
to Vim Users
On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:02:53AM -0400, Salman Halim wrote:
>If I search for "abcd" with incremental search enabled, the search
>characters get highlighted as I type them, which is obviously why I have
>incremental search enabled. However, when I look through my search history,
>I'm pretty sure I used to only see the one search entry for "abcd". These
>days, I see four: a, ab, abc and abcd. What happened?

Perhaps a plugin or other setting is interfering. Try with "vim -Nu NONE".
signature.asc

Salman Halim

Sep 3, 2019, 9:28:48 AM9/3/19
to Vim Users
Thank you very much. Yes, a plugin seems to be the culprit.

Best regards,

Salman