Vim executable for Windows updated

Bram Moolenaar

Dec 7, 2019, 2:58:50 PM12/7/19
to vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org

As a tryout for the upcoming Vim 8.2 release I created an MS-Windows
self-installing binary from the current Vim version. This should be
very close to the Vim 8.2 release. Give it a try.

This uses the new Windows installer, which is nicer than the old one.
It also has translations for a few languages.

You can download it from here:
https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/pc/gvim81.exe

You can find the individual zip archives with runtime files and three
versions of the executable in the same directory. See the README file
for what is in which archive:
https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/pc/README

Let me know if you run into any trouble, we want to make sure the Vim
8.2 release doesn't have any problems.

--
How do I set the laser printer to stun?

rob

Dec 8, 2019, 6:16:35 PM12/8/19
to Bram Moolenaar, vim...@googlegroups.com
I've been using gvim for windows 10 installed from gvim_8.1.0451_x86.exe
since that came out.  That was the first version that fixed the bug in
vim (non-gui mode) in which <F11> and <F12> were not recognized.

That has worked fine for me.

At Bram's request, I installed gvim_8.1.2410_x64.exe and _x86.exe.  Both
versions of vim (non-gui) are not compatible with Take Command console
program by JPSoft.com.  I have been using some version of take command
for 25+ years.

There is an incompatibility w/ take command and the latest windows
version of non-gui vim.

The display is unstable, jumping more often than 2 per second (I
think).  The prompt line appears midway in the screen.  I am able to
blindly issue :q and it quits.

I reverted to the version that works for me, ie, 8.1.0451_x86.

Thought you'd want to know.

FWIW, I also reported this to Rexx Conn of JPSoft.com, who is the
principal programmer and owner (I think).

--rob solomon

Bram Moolenaar

Dec 9, 2019, 6:41:54 AM12/9/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com, rob, vim...@googlegroups.com, ma...@ntak.net

Rob Solumon wrote:

> I've been using gvim for windows 10 installed from gvim_8.1.0451_x86.exe
> since that came out.  That was the first version that fixed the bug in
> vim (non-gui mode) in which <F11> and <F12> were not recognized.
>
> That has worked fine for me.
>
> At Bram's request, I installed gvim_8.1.2410_x64.exe and _x86.exe.  Both
> versions of vim (non-gui) are not compatible with Take Command console
> program by JPSoft.com.  I have been using some version of take command
> for 25+ years.
>
> There is an incompatibility w/ take command and the latest windows
> version of non-gui vim.
>
> The display is unstable, jumping more often than 2 per second (I
> think).  The prompt line appears midway in the screen.  I am able to
> blindly issue :q and it quits.
>
> I reverted to the version that works for me, ie, 8.1.0451_x86.
>

> Thought you'd want to know.
>
> FWIW, I also reported this to Rexx Conn of JPSoft.com, who is the
> principal programmer and owner (I think).

This might be related to the changes done to support the new console
stuff, VTP and ConPTY. I'll CC Nobuhiro.

233. You start dreaming about web pages...in html.

Nobuhiro Takasaki

Dec 9, 2019, 3:25:08 PM12/9/19
to vim_use
I read it now. I'm going to fix it.

There is a patch that I wrote a long time ago, it seems that it will fix the destruction of the screen.

I don't know about F11 and F12 right now. I will investigate.

--
Nobuhiro Takasaki

Nobuhiro Takasaki

Dec 9, 2019, 3:25:08 PM12/9/19
to vim_use
I have confirmed.

Patch 8.1.0940: MS-Windows console resizing not handled properly
This was the cause.

The value returned by Take Command seems toe be different.

INPUT_RECORD.Event.WindowBufferSIzeEvent.dwSize
Correctly returns the number of characters in the window.
Now the window buffer size is returned.

In the above patch, trying to make the window size huge would fail.

I reported to JPSoft.com forum.
Continue to work after it is fixed.

--
Nobuhiro Takasaki

Christian Brabandt

Dec 9, 2019, 3:28:34 PM12/9/19
to vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org

On Sa, 07 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> As a tryout for the upcoming Vim 8.2 release I created an MS-Windows
> self-installing binary from the current Vim version. This should be
> very close to the Vim 8.2 release. Give it a try.
>
> This uses the new Windows installer, which is nicer than the old one.
> It also has translations for a few languages.
>
> You can download it from here:
> https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/pc/gvim81.exe
>
> You can find the individual zip archives with runtime files and three
> versions of the executable in the same directory. See the README file
> for what is in which archive:
> https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/pc/README
>
> Let me know if you run into any trouble, we want to make sure the Vim
> 8.2 release doesn't have any problems.

I think it would be nice, if we could sign the resulting official
installer.

Best,
Christian
--
Kurzum, das Produkt war vollkommen nutzlos.
Marlin Eller über Windows 1.0.

Bram Moolenaar

Dec 9, 2019, 5:10:30 PM12/9/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Christian Brabandt, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org

Christian wrote:

> On Sa, 07 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > As a tryout for the upcoming Vim 8.2 release I created an MS-Windows
> > self-installing binary from the current Vim version. This should be
> > very close to the Vim 8.2 release. Give it a try.
> >
> > This uses the new Windows installer, which is nicer than the old one.
> > It also has translations for a few languages.
> >
> > You can download it from here:
> > https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/pc/gvim81.exe
> >
> > You can find the individual zip archives with runtime files and three
> > versions of the executable in the same directory. See the README file
> > for what is in which archive:
> > https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/pc/README
> >
> > Let me know if you run into any trouble, we want to make sure the Vim
> > 8.2 release doesn't have any problems.
>
> I think it would be nice, if we could sign the resulting official
> installer.

Is that possible for the gvim.exe that I create? Or do we need to pick
the right one from your site? I'm sure many users would prefer a signed
binary. Not sure if it runs everywhere, e.g. on Windows XP? That's why
I have been using MSVC 2015.

--
"The amigos also appear to be guilty of not citing the work of others who had
gone before them. Even worse, they have a chapter about modeling time and

rob

Dec 9, 2019, 6:44:13 PM12/9/19
to Nobuhiro Takasaki, vim...@googlegroups.com

I am a little confused, also.  I looked at the limited forum discussion.

You wrote

The values are different:

INPUT_RECORD.Event.WindowBufferSIzeEvent.dwSize

You are: return the size of the window buffer. (Screen Buffer Size)
Correctly: return the size of the displayed window in characters. (Window Size)

I am confused about the fact that the WindowBufferSizeEvent sound to me like it would be correct to return the size of the buffer, ie, 5000 lines long.  The name of this event says *BUFFER SIZE*

Is there a different event that returns window size, separate from screen buffer size?

I'm looking at my take command 25, and then in a detached instance of tcc.  Under properties -> layout I see 2 different settings.  In the top box it says screen buffer size is (on my laptop) width 210, height 5000.

In the next box, it says window size (on my laptop) width 210, height 44.

Is there a separate event named closer to window size, rather than screen buffer size?

--rob solomon

Nobuhiro Takasaki

Dec 10, 2019, 6:38:00 AM12/10/19
to vim_use
It was a conclusion after misreading the code. Everything is my mistake.
I was confused because the timing and content of the event arrived completely different from cmd.exe.

There are two causes:
I was ignoring failures that occurred when changing the window size. (There is a terminal that really fails).
Since the ENABLE_VIRTUAL_TERMINAL_PROCESSING flag is *completely* ignored, 'VTP' works and the screen turns purple.

Fixed:
If changing the window size fails even once at the API level, the window size is not changed at all.
New variable 'vtp' to explicitly disable VTP.

Send out the patch tonight with the details.

--
Nobuhiro Takasaki

Christian Brabandt

Dec 10, 2019, 9:52:08 AM12/10/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org

On Mo, 09 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Is that possible for the gvim.exe that I create? Or do we need to pick
> the right one from your site? I'm sure many users would prefer a signed
> binary. Not sure if it runs everywhere, e.g. on Windows XP? That's why
> I have been using MSVC 2015.

Let me check.

Best,
Christian
--
Jede Unähnlichkeit mit Lebenden oder Verstorbenen ist nicht
beabsichtigt.

Christian Brabandt

Dec 11, 2019, 3:44:36 AM12/11/19

On Di, 10 Dez 2019, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Mo, 09 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Is that possible for the gvim.exe that I create? Or do we need to pick
> > the right one from your site? I'm sure many users would prefer a signed
> > binary. Not sure if it runs everywhere, e.g. on Windows XP? That's why
> > I have been using MSVC 2015.
>
> Let me check.

I checked it out, it seems only possible, if you build using appveyor.
So it is no option currently.

Best,
Christian
--
Solange du glücklich bist, wirst du viele Freunde haben; in düsteren
Zeiten wirst du allein sein.

Bram Moolenaar

Dec 11, 2019, 1:35:35 PM12/11/19

Christian wrote:

> > On Mo, 09 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > > Is that possible for the gvim.exe that I create? Or do we need to pick
> > > the right one from your site? I'm sure many users would prefer a signed
> > > binary. Not sure if it runs everywhere, e.g. on Windows XP? That's why
> > > I have been using MSVC 2015.
> >
> > Let me check.
>
> I checked it out, it seems only possible, if you build using appveyor.
> So it is no option currently.

Hmm, then let me build the executable and roll out the first 8.2 build.
Once you have created a build (and checked that it works), we can also
mention it on the download page as "signed version" and mention the
other one as an alternative.

248. You sign your letters with your e-mail address instead of your name.

rob

Dec 12, 2019, 7:59:44 AM12/12/19
to Nobuhiro Takasaki, vim...@googlegroups.com

version 8.1.2424.x64 now works on take command 25.  I see a flickering screen for about 1 second before it stabilizes.

I guess a terminal is failing, but that is now handled effectively on my computer.

--rob solomon

Nobuhiro Takasaki

Dec 12, 2019, 3:41:00 PM12/12/19
to vim_use
Thank you for the operation report.
The flickering is because the VTP format is output to Take command v25 where VTP does not exist.
I am currently writing a patch that teaches Vim support for VTP. It seems to solve it.

--
Nobuhiro Takasaki