Termdebug does not show messaged back from openocd.

Ubaldo Tiberi

Jan 28, 2024, 3:01:51 PMJan 28
to vim_use

I am working with a microcontroller (stm32f4) and I am attempting to debug it by connecting Termdebug to openocd.

Everything works nicely with the exception that the messages sent back from openocd (server) to Termdebug (client) are not displayed in any Termdebug window (I expected them to be displayed in the gbd window).

For example, if I run (gdb) monitor reg I would expect to have the content of the microcontroller's registers displayed in the Termdebug's gdb window, but unfortunately that does not happen.

This is what is in my .vimrc

g:termdebug_config = {} var debugger_path = "/Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.11.3.rel1.macos64_1.1.100.202310310803/tools/bin/" g:termdebug_config['command'] = debugger_path .. "arm-none-eabi-gdb"

If instead of using Termdebug I use another terminal window (I am using iTerm2) running as arm-none-eabi-gdb client connected to the same openocd server, then the messages sent back from the server are correctly displayed.

I am using MacVim 9.1.

Christian Brabandt

Jan 28, 2024, 3:28:46 PMJan 28
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I am afraid you would have to debug the Termdebug plugin and find out
where exactly it fails. I don't think anybody here knows about the
specifics of "arm-non-eabi-gdb"

Thanks,
Christian
--
"You stay here, Audrey -- this is between me and the vegetable!"
-- Seymour, from _Little Shop Of Horrors_

Ubaldo Tiberi

Jan 29, 2024, 12:47:00 AMJan 29
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I somehow expected that. :)

Unfortunately I am not skilled enough nor have enough time budget for this kind of investigation, but on the positive side I managed to setup Termdebug as a client for an openocd server who was running in a hidden terminal buffer in Vim in a fairly streamlined way.

Other than being unable to display messages back from the server when using (gdb) monitor <whatever poll command>, most likely due to a Termdebug bug, the overall debugging experience by just using gdb commands was excellent.

Vim is a top class piece of software.

Best,
/Ubaldo

> Il giorno 28 gen 2024, alle ore 21:28, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> ha scritto:

> ---

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Jan 29, 2024, 11:36:34 AMJan 29
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 9:46 PM Ubaldo Tiberi <ubaldo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I somehow expected that. :)
>
> Unfortunately I am not skilled enough nor have enough time budget for this kind of investigation, but on the positive side I managed to setup Termdebug as a client for an openocd server who was running in a hidden terminal buffer in Vim in a fairly streamlined way.
>
> Other than being unable to display messages back from the server when using (gdb) monitor <whatever poll command>, most likely due to a Termdebug bug, the overall debugging experience by just using gdb commands was excellent.

The following discussion is relevant to this:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/59289/monitor-commands-from-gud-gdb-command-line-not-showing-output

Regards,
Yegappan