installation

Mathoscope Éveilleur de Mathématiques

Oct 30, 2020, 5:06:01 AM10/30/20
to vim...@vim.org
hi
on my mac os X.10.14.6, vim was initially installed (when ? i dont remember) at /usr/share/vim/vim80
yesterday i wanted to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2
i did this :
$ git clone https://github.com/vim/vim.git
$ cd vim/src
$ make
$ sudo make install
but i had not noticed that i had cd in the wrong folder, somewhere on my hard drive
so now i have a [whereitis]/vim folder containing ci, nsis, piwmaps, runtime and several other folders and files
i have made vvim=[whereitis]/vim so to be able to use vim 8.2 by simply typing $vvim but it is not satisfying of course
i would like to finish properly the installation but as i am a beginner, i dont want to make errors

what is the better way to move vim to the right place ?

do i just have to do :
mv -f [whereitis]/vim /usr/share
?

thanks for your help

Vincent

Richard Mitchell

Oct 30, 2020, 5:31:34 AM10/30/20
to vim_mac
It sounds like you know [whereitis], why not just delete it and rerun make/make install in the proper directory?

Mathoscope Éveilleur de Mathématiques

Oct 30, 2020, 11:55:27 AM10/30/20
to vim_mac
thanks ; ok
it sounds simple ;
and yes i know [whereitis].
juste a qustion : where do i have to cd before remaking the "make"
in /usr/share or in /usr/share/vim ?

Richard Mitchell

Oct 30, 2020, 12:50:12 PM10/30/20
to vim_mac

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 11:55:27 AM UTC-4, Mathoscope Éveilleur de Mathématiques wrote:
thanks ; ok
it sounds simple ;
and yes i know [whereitis].
juste a qustion : where do i have to cd before remaking the "make"
in /usr/share or in /usr/share/vim ?

After running git clone, I would just cd into  the directory it created, 'vim'

I use macvim instead, but assume the process is similar.  At the top level macvim directory, I run:

```
./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp --enable-pythoninterp=yes --enable-python3interp=yes --enable-perlinterp=yes --enable-cscope --enable-terminal --disable-rightleft

make -j 6
```

but your options may vary.  This should install into 'local' in my home directory, but to be honest, I just have a symlink:
  Applications/MacVim.app -> ~/git/macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app

Yongwei Wu

Oct 31, 2020, 11:18:23 AM10/31/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Other people mentioned the --prefix option and MacVim. I want to emphasize that you simply cannot install to /usr/share. All directories under /usr, except /usr/local, are protected by macOS. You cannot write to those directories, even as root.

Yongwei Wu

Mathoscope Éveilleur de Mathématiques

Nov 2, 2020, 3:31:11 AM11/2/20
to vim_mac
so where should i install vim ?

Yongwei Wu

Nov 2, 2020, 10:04:31 AM11/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I believe /usr/local is a common location for people who have root access. This is true for most Unix variants, including Linux and macOS.

For people who can write only to their home directory, just using $HOME is OK. I do this all the time on company servers. This has the advantage that backing up or restoring the whole home directory will back up and restore your Vim installation too.