Python error when executing :shell or :term

Chris Sutcliffe

Apr 1, 2020, 1:14:56 PM4/1/20
to vim_mac
Hi,

When I execute :shell or :term I get the following error:

Fatal Python error: config_get_locale_encoding: failed to get the locale encoding: nl_langinfo(CODESET) failed
Python runtime state: preinitialized

Any ideas how to correct this?

Thanks!

Chris Sutcliffe

Apr 1, 2020, 1:42:57 PM4/1/20
to vim_mac
Some additional information - it's related to the locale settings when run directly as an application due to the encoding (the ".UTF-8") not being present.  If I execute:

open /Applications/MacVim.app

it works fine because the locale settings are correct in a terminal.

Pinnacle Systems Group

Apr 1, 2020, 2:23:50 PM4/1/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com, ir0n...@gmail.com
Chris

First check this .....

PYTHONHOME=/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.x.y/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.x
PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONHOME/bin

Then look at this URL

Chris Sutcliffe

Apr 1, 2020, 10:12:54 PM4/1/20
to vim_mac
Hi,

First check this .....

PYTHONHOME=/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.x.y/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.x
PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONHOME/bin

Then look at this URL

I'm not sure if this is related.  Checking PYTHONHOME and PYTHONPATH, both are unset in my environment.  Additionally, as per my follow-up, it seems to be related to the encoding being stripped from the LC_* variables when MacVim is launched directly (as opposed to being opened from a terminal where the LC_* variable are set correctly).  I see terminal apps have the option to set text encoding, not sure if it's possible to configure that in MacVim.

Chris Sutcliffe

Apr 2, 2020, 1:26:06 PM4/2/20
to vim_mac
To close on this issue, I've found a workaround and identified the issue to the MacVim team:

Cheers!