Making a tarball

Eric Weir

Mar 16, 2020, 10:35:59 AM3/16/20
to vim_mac

Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.

Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

Pinnacle Systems Group

Mar 16, 2020, 11:00:16 AM3/16/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Eric ---

Check out iZip in the Apple store.

Riley

片桐健一

Mar 16, 2020, 2:46:25 PM3/16/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I have a server at home, so usually when I work outside with an iPad, I use Termius to SSH to the server and use the vim from there.

iOS apps are operating in a sandbox, which makes it difficult to get access to iCloud files other than the Apps folder. So I personally recommend you use SSH instead (in the worst case you can try VNC).

Baksi

> 2020/03/16 14:36、Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net>のメール:

> ---

Eric Weir

Mar 17, 2020, 2:29:00 PM3/17/20
to vim_mac

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 11:00 AM, Pinnacle Systems Group <pinnaclesy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Check out iZip in the Apple store.

Thanks, Riley. I’ve downloaded it. Will give it a try. Though the pro version is still inexpensive, as I’ll probably only need to use the app once, I’m hoping the free version will do the job for me.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz

Eric Weir

Mar 17, 2020, 2:36:22 PM3/17/20
to vim_mac

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:20 PM, 片桐健一 <sawas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a server at home, so usually when I work outside with an iPad, I use Termius to SSH to the server and use the vim from there.
>
> iOS apps are operating in a sandbox, which makes it difficult to get access to iCloud files other than the Apps folder. So I personally recommend you use SSH instead (in the worst case you can try VNC)

Thanks, Baksi.

As mentioned, I’ve been away from Vim for a while, and from Unix even longer. For that I’m going to give the solution suggested by Riley a try first.

Web searching informs me that there is a way to run a shell in iOS, which is not natively provided, e.g., via this app, which provides a robust, but not complete, emulation of Unix. <https://osxdaily.com/2018/12/11/ish-linux-shell-ios/>

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"The invincible shield of caring Is a weapon
sent from the sky against being dead."

- Tao Te Ching 67