VillageTelco Mesh Potato 2 Running SECN Firmware

Mark Bosshard

Jun 1, 2018, 9:17:58 AM6/1/18
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi everyone

We are trying to connect two mesh potatoes via ethernet cable for a part of the route with multiple nodes, where WiFi will not work reliably.

What do we have to reconfigure in order to have B.A.T.M.A.N. running over the ethernet cable between these two nodes? Thank you.

Best,
Mark

T Gillett

Jun 1, 2018, 6:19:16 PM6/1/18
to village-telco-dev

Hi Mark

A few questions please:

Which firmware version are you using?

What config changes have you made from the default settings?

What other nodes are in the network? Can you outline the whole network and what you want to achieve ie telephony, data, upstream connectivity...

Thanks
Terry

Mark Bosshard

Jun 1, 2018, 6:50:24 PM6/1/18
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry

Thanks a lot for your help. We downloaded SECN v5 today. So far we only configured the IP.

The nodes in the network are all the same: Village Telco Mesh Potato 2.

What we want to achieve is to connect 2 of them via lan cable, not as meant via wifi.

Best,
Mark

Mark Bosshard
MSc Data Science UZH

Höhenstrasse 50
8127 Forch
Switzerland

076 202 22 55
mark.b...@gmail.com

T Gillett

Jun 1, 2018, 8:02:58 PM6/1/18
to village-telco-dev
Hi Mark

A test to clarify what you are trying to set up:

Let's say you have four MP02 devices 'as flashed' and just configured with different IP addresses say .21, .22, .23 and .24.

Device 21 and 22 are within wifi range and mesh together, so you can ping one from the other.
Similarly 23 and 24 are within range of each other and meshed via wifi.

But you can't ping 23 from 22 because they are not in wifi range.

Device 22 is then connected by Ethernet cable plugged in to its LAN port to the LAN port on device 23.

You should now have connectivity between all devices and be able to ping any device from any other device.

Can you confirm whether or not this is the case please?

Regards
Terry

On 23:17, Fri, 01/06/2018 Mark Bosshard <mark.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone

We are trying to connect two mesh potatoes via ethernet cable for a part of the route with multiple nodes, where WiFi will not work reliably.

What do we have to reconfigure in order to have B.A.T.M.A.N. running over the ethernet cable between these two nodes? Thank you.

Best,
Mark

Mark Bosshard
MSc Data Science UZH

Höhenstrasse 50
8127 Forch
Switzerland

076 202 22 55
mark.b...@gmail.com

Mark Bosshard

Jun 3, 2018, 8:11:04 AM6/3/18
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry

Thanks a lot for these quick responses. All we did so far is sniffing the packets of LAN to find the BATMAN initalization but as we could find no such packets we assumed it wouldn't work.

We will place the devices far from each other or cover the antenna with aluminum and then do the hardware test you described.

As we only have the next swiss civil protection course in fall this year, the next update will take about half a year. If needed just close this thread. Thank you so much!

Best,
Mark

Mark

Mark Bosshard
MSc Data Science UZH

Höhenstrasse 50
8127 Forch
Switzerland

076 202 22 55
mark.b...@gmail.com

T Gillett

Jun 3, 2018, 4:44:36 PM6/3/18
to village-telco-dev
Hi Mark

For the purpose of testing, it might be useful to reduce the TxPower setting of the devices to a low figure (eg 1), and to set the wifi channel differently for each pair of devices (using only the non-overlapping channels 1, 6, 11).

That should allow you to simulate the situation where the two pairs are out of range by separating them by a reasonable distance eg 5 - 10 metres.

Regards
Terry

Mark

Mark