PyQt4 to PyQt5 Conversion Script

mark.mc...@disneyanimation.com

Jul 19, 2016, 12:50:52 PM7/19/16
to vfx-platform-discuss
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have been hard at work converting our code to Qt5/PyQt5 for CY2016. One of the key components in our conversion process was a PyQt4 to PyQt5 Conversion Script from a github project known as pyqt4topyqt5. We have greatly enhanced this script and our changes are now available on github. Thanks to Riccardo Ferrazzo for starting this project. It has been a great help to us and I hope that it will be a great help to others as well.

We will be giving a brief overview of our experiences with the Qt5/PyQt5 conversion process at the "VFX Reference Platform - A Common Target for Building VFX Software" Birds of a Feather at SIGGRAPH 2016.

Francois Chardavoine

Jul 19, 2016, 12:57:51 PM7/19/16
to mark.mc...@disneyanimation.com, vfx-platform-discuss
Thanks for getting your changes posted back to the community: this will be very useful for anyone transitioning a lot of pyqt code.
Maybe post-siggraph it would be useful to post back to this thread with a summary of gotchas or cases that weren't handled automatically by the script, and strategies you may have taken to streamline the conversion process.

Francois.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 9:50 AM, <mark.mc...@disneyanimation.com> wrote:
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have been hard at work converting our code to Qt5/PyQt5 for CY2016. One of the key components in our conversion process was a PyQt4 to PyQt5 Conversion Script from a github project known as pyqt4topyqt5. We have greatly enhanced this script and our changes are now available on github. Thanks to Riccardo Ferrazzo for starting this project. It has been a great help to us and I hope that it will be a great help to others as well.

We will be giving a brief overview of our experiences with the Qt5/PyQt5 conversion process at the "VFX Reference Platform - A Common Target for Building VFX Software" Birds of a Feather at SIGGRAPH 2016.

Marcus Ottosson

Jul 19, 2016, 1:02:36 PM7/19/16
to vfx-platform-discuss
Possibly relevant, we are working towards a similar goal, establishing and accounting for differences between the two. But rather than choosing either or, we've made a shim so as to support both at once. One of the goal is to enable this very same transition from Qt 4 to 5, which we expect will need backwards compatibility for at least a few years. Another is to simply not bother choosing to begin with, for new projects.

- https://github.com/mottosso/Qt.py

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Mark McLaughlin

Jul 19, 2016, 1:09:33 PM7/19/16
to Marcus Ottosson, vfx-platform-discuss
Yes, we are aware of Qt.py and are also looking into using it as well (for the reasons you mentioned).

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "vfx-platform-discuss" group.

Joshua LaCross

Sep 1, 2022, 12:58:25 PM9/1/22
to vfx-platform-discuss
I get the error "can't open file 'pyqt4topyqt5.py" I don't see any file in the directory called " pyqt4topyqt5.py" but the instructions say that's what I should be calling