Implement TCP_USER_TIMEOUT for Native Transport

Rafael Barros

Jun 27, 2022, 12:31:36 PM6/27/22
to vert.x
Hi Vert.x community,

I'd like to be able to set the TCP_USER_TIMEOUT option in vert.x clients, but it doesn't seem to be implemented.

This is available on linux kernel here .
Netty exposes this config in the EpollChannelOption class: here .

I made a hardcoded change on this EpollTransport 'configure' method and the HttpClientOptions to add this config in the parent TCPSSLOptions class and I was able to see the TCP_USER_TIMEOUT options being applied.

Is there any way of setting this Netty option without the need to change Vert.x source code?

If not, I'd be available to contribute this feature.

Thanks!

Rafael Barros

Jun 27, 2022, 12:36:56 PM6/27/22
to vert.x
The docs mention that enabling the native transport gives us extra networking options, but the TCP_USER_TIMEOUT is not there: docs here

Thomas SEGISMONT

Jun 28, 2022, 4:48:04 AM6/28/22
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't believe you can do it without code changes.

If you're willing to contribute the missing parts, please go ahead.

File an issue with your findings above, then send a pull request.
Don't forget to sign the Eclipse Contributor Agreement and sign-off your request.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Rafael Barros

Jul 7, 2022, 6:52:48 AM7/7/22
to vert.x
Hi Thomas, would it be possible to also back-port the TCP_USER_TIMEOUT changes to v3.9.x?

Regards,
Rafael Barros

Thomas SEGISMONT

Jul 7, 2022, 9:23:11 AM7/7/22
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I will do it, although I'm not sure we'll make a release anytime soon.

Rafael Barros

Jul 7, 2022, 11:29:40 AM7/7/22
to vert.x
Ok, thank you!