Vagran boxes vs AWS nodes - why Vagrant boxes are so fast?

lukasz.ci...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2017, 9:21:22 AM11/2/17
to Vagrant
Hi,

I'm currently working on a Project which requires setting up plenty Windows Server nodes in AWS.
When I boot them up it takes about 5-10 minutes till they are ready to be used.

At the same time, on my local Mac Im booting up Vagrant boxes and they boot up in seconds. Literally seconds.

I'm wondering how it is possible that vagrant boxes are so fast, even in case they are equipped with 5 times less RAM and half of CPU cores.
Would like to reduce the time currently required to boot my nodes in AWS. Maybe building AWS nodes in Vagrant way is the key for that.

Thank you

Lukasz

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 3, 2017, 6:07:45 AM11/3/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
hello

Vagrant boxes are minimal in size so copy template to VM is just seconds.

They don't have anything installed so boot until ready is quick.

The most you include in the base box the less you need to provision to make it usable.

in the AWS, deploy an AMI to a new instance can take some time to copy and until the network is ready.

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/9a40442d-7d06-455a-a706-648b73fa3599%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Joaquin Menchaca

Nov 10, 2017, 2:57:33 PM11/10/17
to Vagrant
If you initially create a vagrant, it'll have to download the disk image (~500 MB if they packaged the box correctly), so that might take the same amount of time.  Afterward, a new system using the same box + version, will be a local file copy.  It is faster as you have bare-metal system and all the operations are local.

AWS doesn't give you direct access to bare-metal, and you only use a Xen virtual machine guest.  It takes time to allocate your system (along with thousands of systems at the same time).  For Windows boxes, the image will have to be copied from within the data center and imaged on the Xen host.  The copy across the network takes time (and doing this with thousands of other similar request on that particular datacenter).