Vagrant Ubuntu 16.04 network interface issues

Travis

Oct 4, 2017, 3:46:39 PM10/4/17
to Vagrant
Good afternoon, everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue. I'm attempting to make a Vagrant default box using a default Ubuntu16.04 qcow2 file. It seems no matter how I change the networking on the Ubuntu qcow2, the Vagrant default box always spins up with "ens5" and "ens6" interfaces. In the /etc/network/interfaces file, the Vagrant box has the correct information from the original Ubuntu qcow2, but again, the Vagrant box doesn't seem to recognize it. If anyone could point to some way to resolve this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Travis

Travis

Oct 4, 2017, 4:29:17 PM10/4/17
to Vagrant
To clarify, I'm inexperienced with Vagrant, and I'm following this tutorial.

It has a workaround for the issue, but I haven't found it to work at all.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 5, 2017, 4:06:35 AM10/5/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Linux moved into changing the name of the interfaces which make things  abit hard.

You can go back to eth0/eth1 if needed, however i am missing more context.

What is happening today that you think is wrong, and what should be the correct
What do you want to do?

all i understand is you are using libvirt/qemu, but other than that is not clear what you want to do.

Thanks
alvaro

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/6ee971ac-3cb2-4caf-8583-77bd0612bb0b%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Travis

Oct 5, 2017, 8:51:12 AM10/5/17
to Vagrant
Thanks for your reply, Alvaro,

The issue isn't with the naming conventions that have changed, it's with the networking not being successfully copied over.

From my, albeit limited, understanding, the original virtual machine I create, which is a Ubuntu 16.04 box, should have it's networking and other configurations copied over when I issue the following commands:

tar czvf ubuntu1604.box ./metadata.json ./Vagrantfile ./box.img

vagrant box add --name ubuntu1604 ubuntu1604.box

However, when I issue the command:

vagrant up

The machine hangs when trying to acquire an IP address.

I've gotten into the vagrant vm using virt-manager and it does have the right information copied over from the base image (Ubuntu VM) in the /etc/network/interfaces file, but when I do a ifconfig -a, instead of the interface being "ens3", I have two interfaces "ens5" and "ens6" with no network connectivity.

The original VM is on configured on a NAT with a private static ip, and I've tried it with dhcp as well and encounter the same issue.

I've attached my Vagrant files.

Thanks

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Travis <tpw...@uah.edu> wrote:
Good afternoon, everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue. I'm attempting to make a Vagrant default box using a default Ubuntu16.04 qcow2 file. It seems no matter how I change the networking on the Ubuntu qcow2, the Vagrant default box always spins up with "ens5" and "ens6" interfaces. In the /etc/network/interfaces file, the Vagrant box has the correct information from the original Ubuntu qcow2, but again, the Vagrant box doesn't seem to recognize it. If anyone could point to some way to resolve this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Travis

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Vagrant2
Vagrantfile

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Oct 5, 2017, 9:24:30 AM10/5/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
so, lets say you configure ens0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 as dhcp

from there should work

what looks is happening is your saved vm have ens3 but the new vm gets ens5

as a test configure the VM to have dhcp as ens3/ens5/ens6

Vagrant needs the the first interface in the machine to get dhcp to be able to log in.

so if no dhcp is going to the first interface then vagrant can't ssh

if you configure the IP manually then try vagrant ssh to see if can connect

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/d2926ece-1208-4b66-88c7-8f6f381e7ed0%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro