Can't install vagrant-vmware-workstation 5.0.3

Eric Beach

Nov 9, 2017, 1:41:44 PM11/9/17
to Vagrant
Attempting to install the plugin on a domain-joined computer with a domain account fails.  I was able to install to the same computer running a local account.

PS C:\> vagrant plugin install vagrant-vmware-workstation
Installing the 'vagrant-vmware-workstation' plugin. This can take a few minutes...
Fetching: vagrant-share-1.1.9.gem (100%)
Fetching: vagrant-vmware-workstation-5.0.3.gem (100%)
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
Administator failed to take ownership of install directory
Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,
reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually
caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network
issues. The error from Bundler is:

    current directory: C:/Users/xxxx/.vagrant.d/gems/2.4.2/gems/vagrant-vmware-workstation-5.0.3/ext/vagrant-vmware-desktop
C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/mingw64/bin/ruby.exe -r ./siteconf20171109-5712-114qzcn.rb extconf.rb

Folder: \
TaskName                                 Next Run Time          Status
======================================== ====================== ===============
vagrant-vmware-desktop-xxxx-xxxx    N/A                    Ready
A subdirectory or file C:\ProgramData\HashiCorp\VagrantVMware\xxxx-xxxx\bin already exists.
A subdirectory or file C:\ProgramData\HashiCorp\VagrantVMware\xxxx-xxxx\UserData already exists.
        1 file(s) copied.
        1 file(s) moved.
processed file: C:\ProgramData\HashiCorp\VagrantVMware\xxxx-xxxx\UserData
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 0 files
'Administrator"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more details.  You may
need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --without-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --without-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/mingw64/bin/$(RUBY_BASE_NAME)

extconf failed, exit code 1

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Users/xxxx/.vagrant.d/gems/2.4.2/gems/vagrant-vmware-workstation-5.0.3 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/Users/xxxx/.vagrant.d/gems/2.4.2/extensions/x64-mingw32/2.4.0/vagrant-vmware-workstation-5.0.3/gem_make.out

Arvind Prabhakar

Nov 14, 2017, 2:07:59 AM11/14/17
to Vagrant
Did you get any solution to this issue? I'm having similar issue.

Eric Beach

Nov 14, 2017, 10:01:31 AM11/14/17
to Vagrant
Unfortunately, no, not yet. I was able to install with a local account, but not with a domain account logged in.

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 15, 2017, 3:50:17 AM11/15/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
can you email sup...@hashicorp.com with a description on your setup?

Thanks
Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/fe0ce4db-b45c-448a-912f-1167559987bd%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 15, 2017, 3:52:28 AM11/15/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

We haven't been able to reproduce this particular error.

We did release 5.0.3 that includes the fix for the machine on the domain, but I am able to install and run VMs with either local user or domain user.

Does the error happens at install time of the plugin or after the install on the vagrant commands?

Can you share a verbose error? (just add --debug to the command)

Also, some information.

I am testing with win10 pro, english lang. windows 2016 AD domain.

Thanks
Alvaro

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Eric Beach <ebe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately, no, not yet.   I was able to install with a local account, but not with a domain account logged in.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Eric Beach

Nov 15, 2017, 2:53:26 PM11/15/17
to Vagrant
Hey Alvaro,

Thanks for getting back.

I was re-running the command to provide a new debug for you and it appears that 5.0.4 has released as well. It took a long time (with no verbose output), but it appears the plugin finally installed with 5.0.4.

I'll do some testing and see what happens.

Thanks!

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 3:52:28 AM UTC-5, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera wrote:
Hello

We haven't been able to reproduce this particular error.

We did release 5.0.3 that includes the fix for the machine on the domain, but I am able to install and run VMs with either local user or domain user.

Does the error happens at install time of the plugin or after the install on the vagrant commands?

Can you share a verbose error? (just add --debug to the command)

Also, some information.

I am testing with win10 pro, english lang. windows 2016 AD domain.

Thanks
Alvaro
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Eric Beach <ebe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately, no, not yet.   I was able to install with a local account, but not with a domain account logged in.

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode

Alvaro

Eric Beach

Nov 16, 2017, 4:08:16 PM11/16/17
to Vagrant
So, I don't know what changed with 5.0.4, but this seems to have fixed the issue.  I was able to successfully install the plugin and it appears to be functioning normally.

Thanks again!

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

Nov 17, 2017, 4:50:37 AM11/17/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Chris has been working hard on getting all the issues related to windows solved.

We were able to replicate some of them on win10/win2016 domain, but some others weren't possible to replicate at all.

so maybe are still some that we are working hard to catch up.

alvaro

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/e7897e15-306c-49c9-b922-2a525a39ba3a%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro