How does one use vagrant and work in a team —

Simon Lafrenière

May 17, 2017, 1:21:27 PM5/17/17
to Vagrant
Hi,

How does one can best come to work on a project in a local environement but fonction as part of a team ?
I know there is push and git but for people involved in web projects using wordpress or other types of web sites how does a team can collaborate without relying on pantheon or acquia  or having a site behind a wall ?  Is ansible a popular solution for distrubuted teams ?
What are the methods to make team works simpler ?

Thanks for your attention.

— Simon L

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

May 17, 2017, 3:43:36 PM5/17/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

does your team have a current workflow? how its?

Does your team have hardware to run a VM on each developer laptop, or you want a VM centralized?

Do want VM at all?

Alvaro

IRC: #vagrant on Freenode
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/f09e3fad-e65b-4c23-97ab-a28715b8a4f8%40googlegroups.com.

Alvaro

Simon Lafrenière

May 17, 2017, 3:58:59 PM5/17/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alvaro,

I will soon start working with a team. I would like to prepare to work with a team in a new set up but I'm not sure what would be best. Any suggestion ?
We all have our own computers but a centralized virtual machine could be interesting to try.

I think it's nice that we can develop locally using a virtual machine but there are other ways and I'm open to know those other ways since I am used to work alone. What are the most appreciated ways teams can get work togheter ?

It would be nice to try a reliable team collaboration method for distributed wordpress web development where all contributors are operating from their local machines and where so push can add each individuals contribution to a project.

Is this possible with git, for wordpress site development?

Can I do team collaborations and push work with ssh for simple website dev ?

Thank you !

— Simon

Alvaro Miranda Aguilera

May 17, 2017, 4:20:52 PM5/17/17
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Simon Lafrenière <simon.laf...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will soon start working with a team. I would like to prepare to work with a team in a new set up but I'm not sure what would be best. Any suggestion ?
We all have our own computers but a centralized virtual machine could be interesting to try.

Hello

For Vagrant side of things I can help, but for Wordpress, I am not fluent there, so I can't comment on the best workflow for multi-site WP and dev -> prod pipeline.

based on the Digital Ocean guide for wordpress, I did this repo as a example:

If you are familiar with WP, perhaps you will be able to use it as starting point.

I do understand some people have a consolidated WP VM, where they develop in a multi-site fashion, and operate separate the code lifecycle to prod.

If there is anyone on the mailing list whats an avid used of WP, I hope they can share their experience.

--
Alvaro